Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 07:58 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,191,390 times

Advertisements

After seeing the numbers of cases from Sturgis will the Fair beat those numbers? Looks like the attendance will be down but the hospital are at 90% or so full with cases right now. I hope they will be prepared for the sudden increase of cases in a week or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2021, 01:02 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Seems many people have a death wish.

Old 08-29-2021, 06:18 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,404,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post

I know I sure do. Death is a perfect way to end a life!

The problem is that covid doesn't kill very many people. I got covid last spring. I was mildly sick for a few days, but then my body fought it off and I got better. No hospital or ventilator needed. This is how it works for the VAST majority of people who catch the virus.

By the way, I did get my shot a couple of weeks ago, but that was mostly so I could have one of the free $100 gift cards that the government was throwing out of the sky. And because I see requirements being forced upon us and I was getting tired of fighting it.

Whatever.

Old 08-29-2021, 06:37 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
One deep fried candy bar won't kill you

Old 08-29-2021, 08:38 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Will the Vikings home games in September be super spreader venues too?

Old 08-29-2021, 06:22 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Went to the fair today and don't ever recall seeing smaller crowds...and on a Sunday no less! Virtually no lines at any vendors or exhibits...except for the vaccine on a stick booth.

Old 08-30-2021, 01:30 AM

13 posts, read 17,216 times
The vaccination rate at the fair would have to be higher than Sturgis (mainly anti-vaxxers there I think), and probably not nearly as crowded as it got there either. It might be as risky as spending a typical day at a popular Minneapolis area park without a mask, assuming you don't wear a mask in either place.

Old 09-01-2021, 09:23 AM

441 posts, read 440,210 times
I live in Oregon and our state fair is going on now. I always enjoyed but not going because although we do have a mask mandate indoors and in crowded places apparently they are NOT enforcing it. I am fully vaccinated but also immuno-compromised. I was looking forward to that giant turkey leg and deep fried candy bar. My health is more important so no fair us this year.

Old 09-04-2021, 12:24 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
I was curious about that myself so have been watching. My main interest is in taking care not to stereotype any group of people as the "plague carriers." We all know what happened last time that madness prevailed.

The last statistics I read from South Dakota Public Health were that 200 cases could be traced to the Rally of about 500,000 people. From that it's fair to assume that the disease in present form wasn't very contagious or that people there were being careful.

We hope those who did pick up the illness wherever they visited were careful when they returned to their home bases to protect others as recommended. That is always on every traveler.

A word about who attends rallies. It is no longer your grandma's rally full of committed one-percenters. The Sturgis Rally has been co-opted by big business, international corporations. It was the pressure of those vendors which made the Rally happen the last two years in spite of town leadership's intention to cancel. The little town was told to get ready because the vendors were coming and setting up regardless of the town's desire. They own land and businesses there now.

Most of the attendees are middle-aged and older, tax-paying citizens and a goodly percent of them don't even ride. They are day trippers from South Dakota towns and curious vacationers.

The fun of the Rally isn't to be had crammed shoulder-to-shoulder shopping for t-shirts and tchotchkes in the heat. The true aficionados are riding in the Hills enjoying the cool breezes and scenery and camping safely distanced in tents and RVs.

It's very easy to attend and continue to social distance. Much less spreader-prone than your average pro-ball game.

Old 09-04-2021, 12:56 PM

156 posts, read 169,013 times
Enough with the "super-spreader" nonsense. If you stopped watching the news and starting living life as you did before the "pandemic", you will be a lot happier. That's what me and my family did, none of us got covid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota