Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2021, 04:24 PM

197 posts, read 125,018 times

Advertisements

The death of a major political figure, regardless of party, always marks the closing of an American era. Walter Mondale's era was long. I'm a man in my fifties, yet when Mondale became Vice President in 1977 I was a mere eight years old. I don't recall it, though I have vague memories of the 1976 election itself. I remember the elections of 1980, 1984, and 2002 with incrementally increasing detail, of course.

A couple of years ago, my older son was in his senior year at Macalester College, which Mondale initially attended before transferring to the University of Minnesota. One of his professors nominated him for a Joan Adams Mondale Endowed Scholarship (Joan was Walter's wife - he created the scholarship in her memory) without telling him, and he won a very generous grant that significantly reduced the debt he is now paying off. The scholarship is awarded annually to Macalester art students with a focus on ceramics, an art form of particular interest to Joan Mondale. As a result, my son got to meet Walter Mondale for about half an hour over coffee one afternoon in his Minneapolis office. He said that Mondale happily answered his question, and also asked him detailed* questions about his ceramics work.

When I heard this news I texted my son, and told him I hoped he appreciated the honor of having met a man who spent his life 'fighting the good fights'. He told me in no uncertain terms that he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 03:01 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
My dad knew him before he was a politician. Always called him "Fritz."

I remember as a toddler the family being invited to a party for him. Too little to know what was going on. All I saw was the pretty lace table cloth at eye level! I think it might have been his graduation in 1951. That would have put me at three.

So my local townspeople have followed his career all these years and were very proud of him even though many didn't belong to his political party. Back when honor, dignity and intelligence mattered more than party. Most of you don't know about that.

He was always accessible to the locals no matter how high his office. When I think of him the word "Statesman' comes to mind.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:05 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,397,778 times
Wow about the same number of people that voted for him commented here.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:45 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Wow about the same number of people that voted for him commented here.
Yes. Remember in 1984 during a debate with Reagan, Mondale said his plan for America was to raise our taxes?

Old 04-29-2021, 08:45 PM

6,545 posts, read 7,127,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Yes. Remember in 1984 during a debate with Reagan, Mondale said his plan for America was to raise our taxes?
But then they did, and he was like, see. Is that the story, I got it from The Common Man on KFAN, so who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota