Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 01:39 PM

38 posts, read 55,691 times

Advertisements

Hi. I would love to hear from any East Coast people about their move to Mn. How do you like it? Contemplating a move from NJ/NYC Subburb. Ty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 01:50 PM

327 posts, read 211,328 times
Why move there when you got amazing PA next door? Just curious or even Michigan ?

Old 03-11-2021, 02:47 PM

Nachofries
I have some family in MN, but that isn’t the main reason. The quality of life is usually rated near the top of all the states, PA and Michigan are not. I don’t think Michigan is comparable to Minnesota at all. The Twin cities have a better economy for sure. I do like Pa for camping, but I want to be near a city and I’m not a big fan of Philly. Anywhere else in PA is somewhat secluded. I do agree the topography is much better than Mn.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:26 PM

224 posts, read 164,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachofries View Post
Why move there when you got amazing PA next door? Just curious or even Michigan ?

Another NJ native here, Pennsylvania is a very poorly run state with a lot of towns with drug and employment problems. State is nice but culture sucks in most areas. I think only area worth moving to is outside of Pittsburgh somewhere.

I’m looking all over country to get out of NJ, I do really like Michigan and am looking more into Minnesota don’t know much about there…. But with all snow I probably won’t bother…. I don’t know where to move to…. A spot like Santa Fe would be perfect but I don’t wanna move to a state with ****ty jobs and crime…. Might look more at SLC and Boise.

Old 08-07-2021, 03:18 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,968 times
I'm a born and bred New Jerseyan who had lived in PA for the last 8 years, outside of a year-long stint in Indiana. Just moved to this state 2 months ago. If you want to move for work and to earn a living, with or without kids, I would choose MN over PA and Jersey hands down. The job market in PA is trash, especially in Pittsburgh and Philly, which is why I moved out. Low wages, too many taxes, either no responses or plenty of rejections to jobs I'm qualified for, poor transit outside the 2 big cities, high COL in both cities. The COL here isn't an insane bargain or anything but at least you're getting higher wages to somewhat offset it. As much as I am not a fan of the Twin Cities and the direction, I'd still be willing to move down there if my contract is terminated at my job in NW MN.

The weather has sucked with the smoke in the air and I hear winters are no joke. Still better than out east.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:54 PM

Marv95

We just bought a house in Maple Grove. Yes the winters are much longer and colder, but the snow can be beautiful, and with kids there’s a ton of winter sports to do. In Nj it really just rained a lot in the winter, which left us sitting in the house a lot. Minnesota also has a ton of indoor activities in the winter. It will be funny to see what my husband thinks of winter. Visit lake Minnetonka and Duluth. You Mike like those areas coming from the east coast. I hear Lake Superior is wonderful, but I’ve never been. Good luck!

Old 08-12-2021, 05:56 AM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
I'm a born and bred New Jerseyan who had lived in PA for the last 8 years, outside of a year-long stint in Indiana. Just moved to this state 2 months ago. If you want to move for work and to earn a living, with or without kids, I would choose MN over PA and Jersey hands down. The job market in PA is trash, especially in Pittsburgh and Philly, which is why I moved out. Low wages, too many taxes, either no responses or plenty of rejections to jobs I'm qualified for, poor transit outside the 2 big cities, high COL in both cities. The COL here isn't an insane bargain or anything but at least you're getting higher wages to somewhat offset it. As much as I am not a fan of the Twin Cities and the direction, I'd still be willing to move down there if my contract is terminated at my job in NW MN.

The weather has sucked with the smoke in the air and I hear winters are no joke. Still better than out east.
Polaris or Arctic Cat?

Old 08-13-2021, 08:39 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,446,754 times
Native Midwesterner who tried life on the east coast (Boston) and ended up back here. I've lived or worked in MN, IL, MI and WI and MN is probably still the best bang for your buck across the board, mostly because the average wages are still pretty high with an economy that stays pretty stable. WI is the most beautiful of the 4, but has lower wages and higher combined taxes than MN. MI, my home state, is also very beautiful, but is a constant economic sewer and has been for a long time. IL is butt ugly and just flat out sucks, don't bother.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:04 PM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Native Midwesterner who tried life on the east coast (Boston) and ended up back here. I've lived or worked in MN, IL, MI and WI and MN is probably still the best bang for your buck across the board, mostly because the average wages are still pretty high with an economy that stays pretty stable. WI is the most beautiful of the 4, but has lower wages and higher combined taxes than MN. MI, my home state, is also very beautiful, but is a constant economic sewer and has been for a long time. IL is butt ugly and just flat out sucks, don't bother.
I was in Hurley,WI/Ironwood, MI area last weekend. Looking on Realtor app, there are 18 homes for sale in Ironwood, only five are $100k or more. Of the five Hurley homes for sale, the prices are $99k, $149k, $198k, and $335k. This is just really one town, the only difference is part is WI and other part MI. Locals all told me MI side is terrible and WI was ten times better, schools, house values, etc…we picked up on this while there.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:02 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Polaris or Arctic Cat?
Neither; it's a certain electronics component giant.

Oh and this morning was in the mid 40s. In August. You're not getting that back east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota