Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 05:39 PM

334 posts, read 520,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia616 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm interested in moving to Minnesota, St. Cloud to be specific because of the cost of living there but I tried looking up jobs on indeed for retail jobs and couldn't really find any? So how good is the job market in St. Cloud? Thank you for answering my question
Indeed is terrible imo, the most useful one would be minnesotaworks.net and the st cloud jobs Facebook group. There are plenty of jobs for someone willing to work. I have lived here for almost 15years now.

In the interest of full disclosure, it is not the same town I moved to and I can't go into detail without offending the politically correct crowd. I am looking forward to moving away in about 5 years or so to Colorado

Old 03-16-2021, 08:29 PM

113 posts, read 103,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
Indeed is terrible imo, the most useful one would be minnesotaworks.net and the st cloud jobs Facebook group. There are plenty of jobs for someone willing to work. I have lived here for almost 15years now.

In the interest of full disclosure, it is not the same town I moved to and I can't go into detail without offending the politically correct crowd. I am looking forward to moving away in about 5 years or so to Colorado
Okay, I will do that. Thank you.

In a bad way, I'm guessing. I grew up in Colorado, certain parts are very beautiful.

Old 07-10-2021, 02:38 AM

3 posts, read 4,032 times
Default I live near Winona MN

Winona is a great small town and has MANY smaller ones one after another.

I am looking to sell my home and move North NOT the cities as I am a very rural person and want some land with my home to do outside things.

Please remember people when moving that it is best to if possible to talk to people who live there or close.

I will NOT move to ST Cloud.

I will NOT move to Rochester but a suburb is great as I live in a teeny tiny town called Rollingstone which is a blink of the eye but people live more like we used to.

Winona is 11 miles off of HWY 61 and Rollingstone is 40 Miles from Rochester.

Check Winona out if moving somewhere. Beautiful and has colleges and Art Museum and many things for the Lakes and River it sits on.

Rollingstone if anyone likes rural teeny towns is very friendly people and well used to get a visit from Santa each year before Christmas he came around in the firetruck.

Great for the kids if the get the school going again-they got a bad deal and Winona sold it without telling them they were selling that day but they knew it was coming. They now have it again and are opening up again they said.

The kids went to Rollingstone School and then I took them out of Winona because they get weird (the school) and I put them in Lewiston School. Another tiny town and they actually expected my kids to do homework or get an F~! I called them and thanked them!

Sorry I talk too much but I am looking for a home that was for sale like 2 years at those prices of course.

I will wait my time or make use of the snowmobile trail in my back yard and the river so close to grab the boat or go to the Harbor and hop onto the pontoon.

I keep looking in Crowe Wing County and it seems like everyone else is too and they sell way too fast and the realtors tell me they are being bought sight seen and I said I am not that stupid nor desperate.

I would prefer to move to S Dakota but my husband is afraid he will not get to keep his same pay of overtime like the Minnesota company pays for Personal Care Assistant.

Hahaha I should not laugh but I have been waiting to get a place for 6 years and now he got notice MN will NOT pay overtime soon. Yeah I say to him let go of the greed I want to get out and go target practicing since he will not take me to the one up the HWY a mile.

Patience may be a virtue and the worst I get is to update this home we built in 2000 even with an inground pool. Yeah he bribed me if we stay.

Love my Husband! Just having fun and good luck all!

Old 07-10-2021, 02:41 AM

3 posts, read 4,032 times
Quote:

Oops sorry I was going to say ummm St Cloud is full of the politically correct. Rochester is getting there fast and schools are already.

I think I know what you mean. Winona about 45 minutes if you work from Rochester or many work at home. I hope I am replying to the right person... ugh going to bed.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:13 AM

249 posts, read 504,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misstifyed View Post

I am looking to sell my home and move North NOT the cities as I am a very rural person and want some land with my home to do outside things.

Please remember people when moving that it is best to if possible to talk to people who live there or close.

I will NOT move to ST Cloud.

I will NOT move to Rochester but a suburb is great as I live in a teeny tiny town called Rollingstone which is a blink of the eye but people live more like we used to.

Winona is 11 miles off of HWY 61 and Rollingstone is 40 Miles from Rochester.

Check Winona out if moving somewhere. Beautiful and has colleges and Art Museum and many things for the Lakes and River it sits on.

Rollingstone if anyone likes rural teeny towns is very friendly people and well used to get a visit from Santa each year before Christmas he came around in the firetruck.

Great for the kids if the get the school going again-they got a bad deal and Winona sold it without telling them they were selling that day but they knew it was coming. They now have it again and are opening up again they said.

The kids went to Rollingstone School and then I took them out of Winona because they get weird (the school) and I put them in Lewiston School. Another tiny town and they actually expected my kids to do homework or get an F~! I called them and thanked them!

Sorry I talk too much but I am looking for a home that was for sale like 2 years at those prices of course.

I will wait my time or make use of the snowmobile trail in my back yard and the river so close to grab the boat or go to the Harbor and hop onto the pontoon.

I keep looking in Crowe Wing County and it seems like everyone else is too and they sell way too fast and the realtors tell me they are being bought sight seen and I said I am not that stupid nor desperate.

I would prefer to move to S Dakota but my husband is afraid he will not get to keep his same pay of overtime like the Minnesota company pays for Personal Care Assistant.

Hahaha I should not laugh but I have been waiting to get a place for 6 years and now he got notice MN will NOT pay overtime soon. Yeah I say to him let go of the greed I want to get out and go target practicing since he will not take me to the one up the HWY a mile.

Patience may be a virtue and the worst I get is to update this home we built in 2000 even with an inground pool. Yeah he bribed me if we stay.

Love my Husband! Just having fun and good luck all!
This post sounds really judgmental. Anywhere north of Elk River and you should be fine.

Old 07-14-2021, 11:58 AM

57 posts, read 75,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misstifyed View Post

Crow Wing and Cass Counties, places are going fast. I live in Cass. Realtor friends say it is a lot of folks from the cities looking to get out of the cities. And prices are going up.

I am confused, how is Minnesota not going to be paying overtime? I think the only time I was never paid overtime wages at any job was because the company was actually owned by a non-profit.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:15 AM

542 posts, read 447,773 times
Quote:

Great choice in moving to Colorado. Joe Biden crushed Trump by close to 14%, it is rapidly becoming one of the most liberal states, and the latino population has one of the largest percentage increases in the country.

Clearly you are someone who craves liberal politics, diversity, and mountains. You will get a healthy dose of all three in 5 years.

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 07-15-2021 at 10:31 AM..

Old 07-15-2021, 06:13 PM

6,543 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:

If you want better scenery and less people, Montana and Wyoming are better. This is coming from someone who lived in Colorado twice.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:12 PM

948 posts, read 920,650 times
I did look at a couple houses in St Cloud myself, because it's not too far from the cities or from where I grew up. In fact, I lived in St Cloud for a couple years when I was younger.
(Honestly, I'm a city girl, so I'd rather buy a house in the Twin Cities, but the housing bubble there is so bad right now that I'm not gonna buy a house that will be worth half what I paid for it when the bubble pops. Hence I thought about buying a house in St Cloud.)

Several people say that St Cloud has gone downhill, but when I ask why, the only reasons they can give is that they don't like all the Somalian refugees that moved there. If I ask what the problem with Somalian refugees is, nobody can really give me an answer. I've met a couple, and they seemed nice.

I do know a woman who bought a house there about a year ago, and she loves it. But she is very liberal, so she would not have any problem with people of other races, religions, or nationalities.

Can anybody give a different reason why St Cloud should be avoided?

That being said, one concern I do have about buying a house in St Cloud right now is that it seems that the housing bubble is finally hitting it. A year ago, there were several big, beautiful Victorians on the market for around $100k, but now that price will only get you little houses. I'm not paying over-inflated prices for a house that will be worth half that amount when the bubble pops.

I'm not too familiar with the other cities mentioned here, but can share what I have learned from my own research.

Duluth, Mankato, and Winona are all areas with beautiful scenery. Rochester is near places with beautiful scenery, but I don't know if there's any in the city itself. I haven't actually been there. But my mom says it's a nice town. (She also says that about Duluth, but has no comments on the other two towns.)

Rochester, Mankato, and Winona are in the southern part of the state, so the climate is a little warmer. If you like gardening, those 3 are in zone 5, so you have more gardening options. St Cloud is zone 4, because it's in central MN. Duluth is zone 3. My dad used to say that Lake Superior is so cold that you can not swim in it, but I don't know if that's true. So if you hate the cold, you might not like Duluth. (But then again, if you hate cold weather, you probably shouldn't move to MN anyway. lol )

Rochester is halfway between Mankato and Winona. All 3 of those cities are about an hour from the Twin Cities, as is St Cloud. Duluth is about 2 hours from the Twin Cities, and about 3 hours from the other towns.

From a political standpoint, Duluth, Mankato, and Winona are fairly liberal; whereas Rochester is more of a mix. According to a guy who used to live there, the younger medical workers tend to be liberal, but some of the rich older doctors are more conservative. However, I am guessing that non-medical workers in that area might lean more conservative.

As somebody said, Rochester is not cheap. Housing prices in Rochester are higher than they used to be. I don't know if this is due to the housing bubble though. It is probably due more to the city's expansion plans. I think investors bought up properties in anticipation of that, but stopped rising after the investors made their purchases.

Rochester is a great place to move if you are looking for employment options in the medical or service industry, because the expansion of the Mayo should provide more job opportunities. I've read some complaints that non-medical people feel the medical people look down on them, like they are a different class. I don't know if that's true, just what I've read. As a parent, though, I think having your child go to school with the children of doctors would be a good influence on them. I still plan to go check it out. Rochester should provide your children to a lot of global influences also, being as the Mayo Clinic attracts patients and medical staff from all over the world. It is positioning itself to become a global medical leader.

I have heard that Mankato is supposed to have a thriving music and culture scene, if that's important to you.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:00 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
I did look at a couple houses in St Cloud myself, because it's not too far from the cities or from where I grew up. In fact, I lived in St Cloud for a couple years when I was younger.
(Honestly, I'm a city girl, so I'd rather buy a house in the Twin Cities, but the housing bubble there is so bad right now that I'm not gonna buy a house that will be worth half what I paid for it when the bubble pops. Hence I thought about buying a house in St Cloud.)

Several people say that St Cloud has gone downhill, but when I ask why, the only reasons they can give is that they don't like all the Somalian refugees that moved there. If I ask what the problem with Somalian refugees is, nobody can really give me an answer. I've met a couple, and they seemed nice.

I do know a woman who bought a house there about a year ago, and she loves it. But she is very liberal, so she would not have any problem with people of other races, religions, or nationalities.

Can anybody give a different reason why St Cloud should be avoided?

That being said, one concern I do have about buying a house in St Cloud right now is that it seems that the housing bubble is finally hitting it. A year ago, there were several big, beautiful Victorians on the market for around $100k, but now that price will only get you little houses. I'm not paying over-inflated prices for a house that will be worth half that amount when the bubble pops.

I'm not too familiar with the other cities mentioned here, but can share what I have learned from my own research.

Duluth, Mankato, and Winona are all areas with beautiful scenery. Rochester is near places with beautiful scenery, but I don't know if there's any in the city itself. I haven't actually been there. But my mom says it's a nice town. (She also says that about Duluth, but has no comments on the other two towns.)

Rochester, Mankato, and Winona are in the southern part of the state, so the climate is a little warmer. If you like gardening, those 3 are in zone 5, so you have more gardening options. St Cloud is zone 4, because it's in central MN. Duluth is zone 3. My dad used to say that Lake Superior is so cold that you can not swim in it, but I don't know if that's true. So if you hate the cold, you might not like Duluth. (But then again, if you hate cold weather, you probably shouldn't move to MN anyway. lol )

Rochester is halfway between Mankato and Winona. All 3 of those cities are about an hour from the Twin Cities, as is St Cloud. Duluth is about 2 hours from the Twin Cities, and about 3 hours from the other towns.

From a political standpoint, Duluth, Mankato, and Winona are fairly liberal; whereas Rochester is more of a mix. According to a guy who used to live there, the younger medical workers tend to be liberal, but some of the rich older doctors are more conservative. However, I am guessing that non-medical workers in that area might lean more conservative.

As somebody said, Rochester is not cheap. Housing prices in Rochester are higher than they used to be. I don't know if this is due to the housing bubble though. It is probably due more to the city's expansion plans. I think investors bought up properties in anticipation of that, but stopped rising after the investors made their purchases.

Rochester is a great place to move if you are looking for employment options in the medical or service industry, because the expansion of the Mayo should provide more job opportunities. I've read some complaints that non-medical people feel the medical people look down on them, like they are a different class. I don't know if that's true, just what I've read. As a parent, though, I think having your child go to school with the children of doctors would be a good influence on them. I still plan to go check it out. Rochester should provide your children to a lot of global influences also, being as the Mayo Clinic attracts patients and medical staff from all over the world. It is positioning itself to become a global medical leader.

I have heard that Mankato is supposed to have a thriving music and culture scene, if that's important to you.
There is nothing wrong with St.Cloud. It just seems pointless to bother with it when everything I want and need is 65 miles southeast of there, in the Twin Cities. Real estate has gotten more expensive lately but what makes you so certain that the housing market will pop anytime soon? I’m not convinced of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota