Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2020, 07:44 PM

200 posts, read 174,881 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm interviewing for a job in Red Wing. I lived in MPS for 2 years, but it was too big and busy for me. I'm hoping for a laid-back, smaller city. Hoping to eventually buy a home in the next 2 years, for around $275k. I won't have kids so schools aren't a concern. Neither is nightlife as I'm more an outdoorsy type.

Any opinions on the area recently? Has MSP's unrest hit Red Wing? Anything I should be concerned about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 08:09 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,444,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseSky View Post
Hi all,

I'm interviewing for a job in Red Wing. I lived in MPS for 2 years, but it was too big and busy for me. I'm hoping for a laid-back, smaller city. Hoping to eventually buy a home in the next 2 years, for around $275k. I won't have kids so schools aren't a concern. Neither is nightlife as I'm more an outdoorsy type.

Any opinions on the area recently? Has MSP's unrest hit Red Wing? Anything I should be concerned about?
One of the most picturesque towns in the state, but there’s a nuclear power plant just upriver. If that doesn’t bother you then have at it because it’s gorgeous down there.

Old 10-11-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
One of the most picturesque towns in the state, but there’s a nuclear power plant just upriver. If that doesn’t bother you then have at it because it’s gorgeous down there.
Oh, so that's what that was. I saw picutres and wondered if it was a coal-fired power plant.

I decided against the job in Red Wing since there's no decent apartments in or near the town. My search continues.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Oh, so that's what that was. I saw picutres and wondered if it was a coal-fired power plant.

I decided against the job in Red Wing since there's no decent apartments in or near the town. My search continues.
No, it (Prairie Island) is one of 2 big ones that power much of the TC metro. Monticello is the other. I have a real phobia about living within 10-20 miles of those or else I would have made an all out beeline to settle in a town like Red Wing. I love the river, the bluffs and the Rockwellesque downtown area. I think it's one of the prettiest towns in the state and the surrounding countryside with its mix of farmland and hills is very appealing to me.

That's a shame about the lack of apartments. Kind of surprised about that in a town of over 16,000. Better luck next time...

Old 10-12-2020, 05:42 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,599,451 times
Quote:
Hi all,

An outdoorsy type> Then you should seriously consider Duluth, it was the best outdoor town voted in 2014 easily beating MSP and all other towns it went up against in bracket style one town after another, plus the woods and nature out of just about anywhere that is not to mention the best hiking trails.

This was a few years ago, it has only gotten better since then with many more miles of trails added since.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
An outdoorsy type> Then you should seriously consider Duluth, it was the best outdoor town voted in 2014 easily beating MSP and all other towns it went up against in bracket style one town after another, plus the woods and nature out of just about anywhere that is not to mention the best hiking trails.

This was a few years ago, it has only gotten better since then with many more miles of trails added since.
I considered Duluth. Applied for a two jobs, but didn't get any bites. Will probably visit soon though as I just got a job in Rochester. So excited to return after 4 years away. Got a nice apartment by some trails and parks.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I considered Duluth. Applied for a two jobs, but didn't get any bites. Will probably visit soon though as I just got a job in Rochester. So excited to return after 4 years away. Got a nice apartment by some trails and parks.
Congrats......I came within an eyelash of working at Mayo before winding up in the TC metro, but we were more than ready to be happy in Rochester. I love the farmland/bluff/river country combo in that region. Only minor drawback is not a lot of lakes down there, but unless you have to constantly be on or around them that's no big deal. Much better thunderstorm activity down there, too.....which I also love being a weather enthusiast.......plus you're still only a stones throw from the cities whenever the mood or need strikes.

Again, congrats....and welcome home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota