Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 11:10 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times

Advertisements

All- any recommendations on great trails northeast of Duluth? I would be going the first week of October, hopefully nice crisp weather and few bugs. It doesn't have to be near Lake Superior, but not going all the way to the BWCA. The main familiarity I have with the Northwoods is the western UP and northern WI, so would assume this area will have a good amount of similarities. Thanks!

Last edited by GraniteStater; 09-17-2020 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 11:46 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,703 times
There are ten state parks between Duluth and the Canadian border. I say, pick one and hike! You can't go wrong. Or go to your local library and find a hiking guide to the Superior Hiking Trail. Lots of great sections, in and outside of the state parks.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:09 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,200 times
The Superior Hiking Trail spans 310 miles from Duluth to Grand Marais. The view of Caribou Lake from White Sky Rock is particularly beautiful in the fall. The trailhead for that segment is near Lutsen.

https://superiorhiking.org/trail-sections/

Last edited by Glenfield; 09-17-2020 at 12:47 PM..

Old 09-17-2020, 12:11 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Are you trying to go during peak fall colors?

Can't really go wrong with anything along the Superior Hiking Trail. I suppose the shuttle vans aren't running which is too bad. We've done the walk from Gooseberry to Split Rock which is nice.

I'd pick out one of the rivers flowing into the lake and follow that up for as long as you feel and then turn around for the downhill walk back.

The hikes in and around Oberg Mountain are very picturesque with great views of the lake and surrounding hills/colors.

Once did the scramble up to the top of Carlton Peak which offers spectacular views. The trail starts out following the Temperance River for a good ways.

You don't have to restrict yourself to Hwy 61 to see the fall colors and driving away from the lake on some of the back roads is a good plan. Second picture below is on Heartbreak Hill (Ridge) also called; Forest Road 166 & Six Hundred Road, near Tofte.... https://www.visitcookcounty.com/wp-c...-Loop_LTTA.pdf

google maps to Heartbreak Road......bears an uncanny resemblance to a certain state
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/47.5...m1!3e0!5m1!1e4

(my pics, Carleton Peak, Heartbreak Hill)

Vimeo video of Heartbreak Hill.

https://vimeo.com/141175876
Attached Thumbnails
Best Hiking Trails on North Shore-11-10.04-temperanceriv-28-carltonpk4.1.jpg   Best Hiking Trails on North Shore-11-09.24-n-shore-heartbreakhill-11.jpg  

Last edited by Ghengis; 09-17-2020 at 12:25 PM..

Old 09-17-2020, 12:31 PM

Superior Shores (just North of Two Harbors) is a nice place to stop for lunch and offers a good view of the lake and the boats heading to and from Two Harbors and Duluth from their large deck off of their sorts bar/lounge or in their dining room.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The Superior Hiking Trail spans 310 miles from Duluth to Grand Marais. The view of Caribou Lake from White Sky Rock is particularly beautiful in the fall. The trailhead for that segment is near Lutsen.

https://superiorhiking.org/trail-sections/
Thanks, I have seen that link, just wondering if there is a way to take partial segments for some and not the entire distance?

Old 09-17-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Are you trying to go during peak fall colors?

Can't really go wrong with anything along the Superior Hiking Trail. I suppose the shuttle vans aren't running which is too bad. We've done the walk from Gooseberry to Split Rock which is nice.

I'd pick out one of the rivers flowing into the lake and follow that up for as long as you feel and then turn around for the downhill walk back.

The hikes in and around Oberg Mountain are very picturesque with great views of the lake and surrounding hills/colors.

Once did the scramble up to the top of Carlton Peak which offers spectacular views. The trail starts out following the Temperance River for a good ways.

You don't have to restrict yourself to Hwy 61 to see the fall colors and driving away from the lake on some of the back roads is a good plan. Second picture below is on Heartbreak Hill (Ridge) also called; Forest Road 166 & Six Hundred Road, near Tofte.... https://www.visitcookcounty.com/wp-c...-Loop_LTTA.pdf

google maps to Heartbreak Road......bears an uncanny resemblance to a certain state
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/47.5...m1!3e0!5m1!1e4

(my pics, Carleton Peak, Heartbreak Hill)

[vimeo]141175876[/vimeo]Vimeo video of Heartbreak Hill.

[vimeo]141175876[/vimeo]
[vimeo]141175876[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/141175876
Appreciate the information, I will try to incorporate some of those into my plans for the first week of October. Based on current recent weather conditions, that area should have peak fall foliage during that time period. Yes, those pictures look similar to the Porcupine Mountains wilderness area of the western UP, and some trails I've done in northern NH.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Appreciate the information, I will try to incorporate some of those into my plans for the first week of October. Based on current recent weather conditions, that area should have peak fall foliage during that time period. Yes, those pictures look similar to the Porcupine Mountains wilderness area of the western UP, and some trails I've done in northern NH.
Haven't looked at the current fall color maps. Not too long ago, I would have said that you'd be on the wrong side of "peak" after Oct 7. I think my first photo was around Oct 4 or 5. The second photo was about a week before as I recall. Do some research but I think if you find yourself past peak along the back roads North of 61, work your way south and closer to the lake.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Haven't looked at the current fall color maps. Not too long ago, I would have said that you'd be on the wrong side of "peak" after Oct 7. I think my first photo was around Oct 4 or 5. The second photo was about a week before as I recall. Do some research but I think if you find yourself past peak along the back roads North of 61, work your way south and closer to the lake.

Peak doesn't last that long, wind and rain can result in a substantial loss of leaves in just a day or two.

To find the really large groves of maples, you have to head 5-10 miles, or so, away from the lake.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:51 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,200 times
Quote:
Thanks, I have seen that link, just wondering if there is a way to take partial segments for some and not the entire distance?
Yes, click through to the sections, then it will list the segments in that section, giving you information about that segment including how to get to the trailhead and where to park. For example: https://superiorhiking.org/trail-sec...-grand-marais/

We used to use a paper guidebook we bought at the ranger station one time. I liked having a paper copy to carry into the woods. It was published by the Superior Hiking Trail Association. There is a kindle edition and used copies available through Amazon. There’s also a Trail Atlas for sale in the SHT Association online store. I don’t know if you can get it mailed to you in time for your trip. https://shop.superiorhiking.org/ You might also find a copy in one of the bookstores in Grand Marais.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota