Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2020, 08:36 PM

226 posts, read 148,353 times

Advertisements

I want to go camping somewhere near the shores of lake superior solo. Can I come from chicago during covid? Any suggestions? I have never been camping and I need to get away so I guess it would be called front country camping with a tent. Nothing to crazy. I want to stay for at least five days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 10:18 PM

190 posts, read 75,271 times
I guess nows the time. But getting away. Is something you need to measure.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2020, 07:16 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,881,674 times
Tent camping advice is more than will fit in this tiny C-D reply box.

BUT - State Parks in MI (your best bet) are mainly open - not all of them, but most of them. (Unless you plan on just finding a random field - not advised.)

If you've never SLEPT in a tent before - take a cot. Or at least an air mattress. Do not rely on a fluffy blanket to save yourself from angry tree roots under your tent.
Your tent is not water proof. Trust me. Be prepared.

Take something to eat IN ADDITION to hot dogs and marshmallows and Bud Light.
Bugs. Bug spray. Long sleeves / pants in summer are tough, but evening bugs around water are worse.
Public showers / facilities are generally available in State Parks, so that should not be a worry.
Don't rely on your cell phone. Depending on where you're going - lots of the UP has no coverage. Really.

Take a "real" GPS.

Having said all that - I love camping! take a fishing pole, and relax. Let the world pass by. It'll be there when you get back. Enjoy.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:14 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,031,394 times
My advice is to practice so that you can quickly set up your tent and if you can, put it up somewhere outside and sleep in it overnight before you go, so you won't have any undue surprises when you get there.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:21 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,881,674 times
Take a good lighter too, and a flashlight, and a lawnchair.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:14 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Split Rock Campground should fit your bill.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:40 AM

6,565 posts, read 7,148,840 times
Any National Forest Land, you can camp where you please. Usually requires back road driving and finding your own spots. I've found many exploring the north shore. I'll never pay to camp, those two don't go hand in hand, hotels are for that.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:03 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,603,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Any National Forest Land, you can camp where you please. Usually requires back road driving and finding your own spots. I've found many exploring the north shore. I'll never pay to camp, those two don't go hand in hand, hotels are for that.
Although there are a few free campsites in the Superior National Forest, there are many more than that, that require a fee. Some, are indeed free, first come first served.
And many camp sites that do require a fee, there are many sites that also require reservations. As well.

Am also surprised no one has mentioned that most, if not all the state parks up the north shore, are reserved way ahead of time, and it would be highly unlikely to find a site by just driving up, as they are going to be all full up.

Last edited by demtion35; 07-17-2020 at 06:38 PM..

Old 07-17-2020, 08:22 PM

6,565 posts, read 7,148,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Although there are a few free campsites in the Superior National Forest, there are many more than that, that require a fee. Some, are indeed free, first come first served.
And many camp sites that do require a fee, there are many sites that also require reservations. As well.

Am also surprised no one has mentioned that most, if not all the state parks up the north shore, are reserved way ahead of time, and it would be highly unlikely to find a site by just driving up, as they are going to be all full up.
I was referring to the dispersed camping. I always camp in a hidden area a majority of people don’t know about other then locals as it’s actually on a mines land and they don’t care. The sheriff has talked to us there about something else and he sure didn’t care. But it’s a crapshoot if anyone else is using it when we show up, which sucks.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/sup...36905&actid=34
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota