Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 05:02 AM

3 posts, read 3,002 times

Advertisements

Hello, I’m writing the following on behalf of my elderly neighbor Claire.

I’m an elderly in quarantine at home due to coronavirus. I bought a car, a simple car for errands from online seller last month shortly before the outbreak. I was not able to transfer the title for the obvious reason. Some time yesterday my neighbor(that’s me!) saw a certain ethnic man break into the car and drive away. When she described him I knew it was most likely the seller or his friends who I gave $7200 to just few weeks ago. The seller asked me for my driver license so he knew my home address. I live in a very quiet street by the lake. I called the police to file a report, however when I explained the situation the officer stated that it’s not theft if the seller took back his car since it’s registered under his name. I showed the officer the bill of sale and photo copy of the title that I had good mind to keep. The original was inside the car. The officer was adamant that he couldn’t do anything and that in situations like this I most likely will never see the car or the few items I had inside of it. I had few important mail papers from the post office and money in there.

Can you lovely folks assist me?

Last edited by ClaireMnpls; 03-31-2020 at 05:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 07:08 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times
Was the title transferred? My guess is no. If not, was the sale reported online to Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services website? Was the car covered by your neighbor’s insurance? If none of these things were done then I think your neighbor would have a difficult time proving that she bought and owned this vehicle.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Was the title transferred? My guess is no. If not, was the sale reported online to Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services website? Was the car covered by your neighbor’s insurance? If none of these things were done then I think your neighbor would have a difficult time proving that she bought and owned this vehicle.
Hi,

The title was not transferred because she bought the car the end of last month and has been in quarantine for the most part since. According to the DMV the sale was indeed reported by the seller on 2/26/2020 which is the same date that Claire’s funds were withdrawn and the receipt and bill of sale both show that same date. Yes she does have insurance on the car but because the officer refused to give her a report they said they’re unable to do anything.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:08 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times
You say that the person who stole the car was “...most likely the seller or his friends...” based on your description of the thief to the neighbor. That doesn’t seem strong enough evidence to accuse the seller.

Has the owner called the police dept. to speak to someone higher up? I would do that and I would also call the insurance company ASAP.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
You say that the person who stole the car was “...most likely the seller or his friends...” based on your description of the thief to the neighbor. That doesn’t seem strong enough evidence to accuse the seller.

Has the owner called the police dept. to speak to someone higher up? I would do that and I would also call the insurance company ASAP.

Sorry the reason why Claire thought it was the seller is because she bought the car from young short Hispanic male she says. The person I saw fits this description, also we live on the end of quiet street and everyone knows everyone here. This guy knew the car and walked right up to it unlocked it and drove away casually.

Claire has called the police and once she reported her suspicions that she thinks it’s the Hispanic guy she bought the car from the officer shut her down and said no report needed...hire a lawyer. I helped her call the police station and requested to speak with supervisor but we haven’t received a call. Today I called the sheriff department for her and the AG office and they said that this actually a common scam but the police need to open a case first. Her insurance company filed a claim for her but told her they can’t move forward until the police report is filed. And they also are having issue with the car not being on her name yet. So the whole thing is just a complete mess! Claire has no kids and has numerous health issues. We actually chipped in last year to have her roof fixed. This is incredibly saddening!

Old 03-31-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireMnpls View Post
Sorry the reason why Claire thought it was the seller is because she bought the car from young short Hispanic male she says. The person I saw fits this description, also we live on the end of quiet street and everyone knows everyone here. This guy knew the car and walked right up to it unlocked it and drove away casually.

Claire has called the police and once she reported her suspicions that she thinks it’s the Hispanic guy she bought the car from the officer shut her down and said no report needed...hire a lawyer. I helped her call the police station and requested to speak with supervisor but we haven’t received a call. Today I called the sheriff department for her and the AG office and they said that this actually a common scam but the police need to open a case first. Her insurance company filed a claim for her but told her they can’t move forward until the police report is filed. And they also are having issue with the car not being on her name yet. So the whole thing is just a complete mess! Claire has no kids and has numerous health issues. We actually chipped in last year to have her roof fixed. This is incredibly saddening!
Are you in Minneapolis, St Paul, or a suburb? If it’s the latter, call the Chief of Police. If it’s one of the former, they won’t be very responsive, but maybe call your city council member.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:05 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
You bought the car.
Claire bought the car.
A neighbor saw the break in and theft.
You saw the break in and theft.
You left mail and money in the car.

Every police officer has a supervisor.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:29 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You bought the car.
Claire bought the car.
A neighbor saw the break in and theft.
You saw the break in and theft.
You left mail and money in the car.

Every police officer has a supervisor.
OP is named Claire, so is the neighbor apparently. The scenario is so confusing I have no idea who did what.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
OP is named Claire, so is the neighbor apparently. The scenario is so confusing I have no idea who did what.
The first post is written by the neighbor in Claire’s voice. She is helping Claire tell her story. The posts after that are written by the neighbor in her own voice. Claire is the elderly lady whose car was stolen. Her neighbor who witnessed the theft is doing the posting.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:50 PM

542 posts, read 447,858 times
Did Claire give him her social security number? If so, she will probably need to freeze her accounts. If she payed by check, the person now has her account number and can write and create checks from her account.

Claire will need to audit all of her financial accounts and check with the financial bureaus (the could create credit cards in her name with her SS#). Hope this is unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota