Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 02:54 PM

441 posts, read 438,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
We have 4 kids, 2 in 10th grade. If schools are a priority you may want to think twice about Minnesota at this point. There was a time I never would have dreamed of saying that, but the "Governor's" covid edicts and MDH protocols have the schools wound so tight they can't even focus on their jobs anymore. They keep bouncing back & forth between distance learning, hybrid and in person..... it's a complete mess, void of any structure or stability. Distance learning in particular is a joke....the kids hate it and it adds a ridiculous amount of stress onto already stressed parents. These poor kids don't know what hit them. Their childhoods and education are being irrevocably stained by this overreactive fear mongering. Yes, the same thing is going on in many other states, but there are also states where the kids are in school full time and have been for a while. At this point - and especially with Biden about to take over - I don't think our kids will even return to school in person this school year. The government and the media will not let this thing go. Even once a vaccine is available I totally think they'll find other reasons to keep issuing edicts and shutdowns. We've been here going on 4 years and have been trying to give things every chance because we made a good life here, but the politicians in Minnesota are unreasonable lunatics (much like Oregon, I'm sure). They've done so much damage to this once great state this year especially that they're really making it hard for us to see a long term future here.

In any matter - NEVER immediately buy a home in an area you're unfamiliar with, unless you just like setting yourself up for disaster. Always rent for at least 6 months so you can get a feel for your new community and exactly where you'd like to set up shop permanently.

Schools here are pretty much the same. It is all online at this point It was a CF end of last school year when this all started. So far it is going okay for my daughter. It is a different mind set learning online. I was going to Penn State World campus and it took me a little while to get myself organized and figure things out.

At first they were going to do hybrid, but right before school started they changed it. They also delayed the start of school by one week. Then it was in November we will do hybrid a month or so ago that changed. So I'm not holding my breath that they will be in the classroom at all this year. I have friends in other states with kids in the classroom. One just got shut down and her daughter was devastated. (elementary age)

What sucks is she is a freshman and missing out on so much. Not to mention all her friends. The governor just implemented a new "shut down" limiting businesses. etc. But people are wearing masks and social distancing for the most part. I'm not exactly sure what all is different. I don't go out much as it is since my immune system is still compromised from the chemo. But I am cancer free.

If we did decide to move it would be summer at the very least. I know how those winters are in Minnesota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 571 times
While a slightly older thread, I am hoping this information is relevant for today. Though, I am coming from a different background than the original poster. I am currently a student registered nurse anesthetist (SRNA) that is doing some preemptive searching for employment opportunities to inquire when closer to graduation. My wife and I have no kids currently, but plan to after we relocate somewhere with employment. How is the housing market? Is a 200k salary sufficient to find a 4-5 bedroom home close to the hospital or does one have to live further away? I did a quick search on zillow and it felt by first glance that an earned salary may go less further than some other areas of Minnesota, but maybe I am getting a biased view? I am unfamiliar with this area of MN generally, but was referred to the area by two former colleagues which has prompted my interest, among other areas of MN and western Wisconsin I.e., Eau Claire.
Thanks.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:43 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRoCSevo View Post
While a slightly older thread, I am hoping this information is relevant for today. Though, I am coming from a different background than the original poster. I am currently a student registered nurse anesthetist (SRNA) that is doing some preemptive searching for employment opportunities to inquire when closer to graduation. My wife and I have no kids currently, but plan to after we relocate somewhere with employment. How is the housing market? Is a 200k salary sufficient to find a 4-5 bedroom home close to the hospital or does one have to live further away? I did a quick search on zillow and it felt by first glance that an earned salary may go less further than some other areas of Minnesota, but maybe I am getting a biased view? I am unfamiliar with this area of MN generally, but was referred to the area by two former colleagues which has prompted my interest, among other areas of MN and western Wisconsin I.e., Eau Claire.
Thanks.
You are welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota