Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 07:25 AM

75 posts, read 57,438 times

Advertisements

Yea we aren’t fans of fitting inside either. As a kid I was outside every minute I could be. We haven’t missed many opportunities to enjoy all four seasons. We have a 4.5 and 2.5 year old but one due in a couple weeks that will certainly mess up the easy of dashing out the door into a snow pile. We survived when #2 came along BUT #1 was only 2 and it was summer.

Rochester winters are not nearly as cold as MN. There have been a few years that had stretches of similar weather, but as a rule of thumb, we get thaws throughout. And days over 15°f without wind are beautiful especially if there is sun.

I build my street rod in an unheated garage during one of the unusually cold winters - usually at night. The trick was to wear warm boots and socks, as well as a scarf and hat. The rubber gloves actually kept my hands warm. I’d normally wear flannel PJ pants under dickies, a flannel shirt over t shirt and a hoody over that with a carhart. I was out there
Unbothered for hours.

I think it’s important to make the most of every season or move! Although it will be interesting living that out midwinter with a newborn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 08:25 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1987 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am a Rochester, NY (diagonally 350 miles north west of the "city") native. Our Western NY winters are extreme to some people, but nothing like yours. Typically, December-march see 20f's every day and there are many above freezing breaks throughout. Tomorrow and Thursday are to be 1f, with -30f wind chills. This got me thinking... my wife and kids will be hunkered down for fear of the walk between the car and anywhere they would go (more for the kids [1.5 and 3.5 years old] sake, than my wife's), but you guys deal with below zero weather more frequently than not in the winter. What do you parents of 0-5 year old kids do between the car and the store/play place/whatever when its a 200 yard walk and -40 with the wind chill? I realize this isn't life or death with commons sense, and it wouldn't really bother me, but it would be a nightmare with kiddos. What do you do to make it livable?

Thanks!

Drew
Our winters have softened considerably since I was a child. It can be easy to forget how dangerous winter can be for the unprepared person.

Your comment about it not being a matter of life or death reminds me of tales my elders told of living on the farm and having ropes tied between the house and the outbuildings during the winter. During a bad storm sometimes people would get disoriented on their way to do chores, not be able to find their way back to the house and freeze to death.

Sounds nearly unbelievable to us with modern conveniences but we who have lived here a long time know to take below zero temperatures very seriously. A reminder that everyone should keep a winter emergency kit in their automobile trunk and keep warm clothing in the car all season. Even a day that starts out balmy can fall prey to a Saskatchewan Screamer catching people unawares.

(You see who we blame for our bad weather?)

Old 12-02-2019, 09:42 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,444,722 times
We have a handicapped child who doesn't walk. Winters are hard as it is here, but add that into the mix and it's really hard. Fortunately, we think living in Minnesota is worth it. Been here going on 3 years now and this place has been very good to us. The younger kids love the snow, although my teenagers are starting to get squirrely about it now that they have to share in the snow clearing chores. They got a taste of living in Texas for a couple years and I think it's still fresh in their minds.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:55 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
The biggest winter problem I had with the kids as they got older was persuading them to wear enough warm clothes outside. I often see some of our college gang in the stores in fall gear proving they are "true" Minnesotans. Most of the women's track team was running in shorts the other day.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:42 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,697,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
The biggest winter problem I had with the kids as they got older was persuading them to wear enough warm clothes outside. I often see some of our college gang in the stores in fall gear proving they are "true" Minnesotans. Most of the women's track team was running in shorts the other day.
Yes, always amazed when I would drive by the bus stops and see kids in a light jacket, or even shorts at various points in the winter.

I'm often patronized at my son's bus stop down in Georgia for actually dressing appropriately (jacket, gloves, hat) when it's 25 degrees out. They think that because I'm from MN, I should somehow feel magically comfortable in 25 degree weather?!?! My point being, even some of the adults try and make it a badge of honor to wear as little as possible (despite momentary suffering) which makes no sense to me.

I always quip back that being from MN just means I know how to dress appropriately. One dad even has a formal policy of wearing pants (instead of shorts) only if it's below 50.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota