Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 07:55 AM

871 posts, read 1,094,850 times

Advertisements

As far as brownstones go, there are not many neighborhoods with any of them at all, and there are only patches of them - not solid blocks. Elliot Park, Loring Park and some areas in St. Paul around Grand and Summit avenues have rowhouses. For whatever reason rowhouses were either never built here like they were in other cities, or they've been demolished at a greater rate because it's a pretty rare building style. Over 70% of the city is single-family dwellings...if you're also into Arts & Crafts bungalows, you've hit the jackpot here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 10:01 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,120,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
The crime rate in Minneapolis city proper has fallen over 1/3 from a peak in 2006. During that same time the population of people of non-European descent has grown greatly. Unfortunately, a lot of people are threatened by a growing non-white population and will equate that with rising crime so no matter what the actual numbers show us they cannot see the reality due to their racial anxieties.

The map enclosed in this article shows where the highest crime rates are in the city.

A deeper look at Minneapolis crime rates - StarTribune.com
Did you even read the article?

Quote:
And despite that overall violent crime decrease from 2016 to 2017, the rates for crimes like rape, burglary and homicide increased.

And here's some more nuggets you can put in your pipe and smoke:

Quote:
Minneapolis landed on the 25th spot on the list, with a violent crime rate of 1,063 incidents per 100,000 residents. The website noted that robbery is especially common in Minneapolis, with 459 reported incidents per 100,000 residents – the 10th highest robbery rate in the nation

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/...violent-crime/

Old 01-28-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Did you even read the article?
Yes, it shows that the crime rate has fallen over 1/3 from a peak in 2006, just like I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavalier
And despite that overall violent crime decrease from 2016 to 2017, the rates for crimes like rape, burglary and homicide increased.
Yes, there was a year-to-year increase between 2016-2017...from a rate that had fallen over 30% since 2006. Do you understand how to read statistics?

Quote:
And here's some more nuggets you can put in your pipe and smoke:
Regardless of what I smoke, I still seem to be able to comprehend statistics better than you.

The Wall Street 24/7 article uses the Uniform Crime Reporting Statistics to rank cities. It also includes a link to those statistics here:

"The website says it made the list after going over the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report, which was released on Monday."

On the linked FBI site, it specifically cautions against using its stats to rank cities. I can understand how you might have missed it, as it is ambiguously labelled "Caution Against Ranking" all in bold letters. I will let you read the entire caution against ranking because you clearly could use the practice, but let me spoon feed you this little nugget:

"UCR data are sometimes used to compile rankings of individual jurisdictions and institutions of
higher learning. These incomplete analyses have often created misleading perceptions which
adversely affect geographic entities and their residents. For this reason, the FBI has a longstanding policy against ranking participating law enforcement agencies on the basis of crime
data alone. Despite repeated warnings against these practices, some data users continue to
challenge and misunderstand this position."

Oh, and because you earned it:

Old 01-28-2019, 12:45 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,120,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Yes, it shows that the crime rate has fallen over 1/3 from a peak in 2006, just like I said.

Yes, there was a year-to-year increase between 2016-2017...from a rate that had fallen over 30% since 2006. Do you understand how to read statistics?

Regardless of what I smoke, I still seem to be able to comprehend statistics better than you.

The Wall Street 24/7 article uses the Uniform Crime Reporting Statistics to rank cities. It also includes a link to those statistics here:

"The website says it made the list after going over the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report, which was released on Monday."

On the linked FBI site, it specifically cautions against using its stats to rank cities. I can understand how you might have missed it, as it is ambiguously labelled "Caution Against Ranking" all in bold letters. I will let you read the entire caution against ranking because you clearly could use the practice, but let me spoon feed you this little nugget:

"UCR data are sometimes used to compile rankings of individual jurisdictions and institutions of
higher learning. These incomplete analyses have often created misleading perceptions which
adversely affect geographic entities and their residents. For this reason, the FBI has a longstanding policy against ranking participating law enforcement agencies on the basis of crime
data alone. Despite repeated warnings against these practices, some data users continue to
challenge and misunderstand this position."

Oh, and because you earned it:
Really, this isn't difficult.

Quote:
You can continue to spin your falsehoods and follow them up with "RACIST!!!!" but we aren't stupid.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Really, this isn't difficult

You've now said one correct thing. Big congrats there, champ!

Old 01-29-2019, 07:22 PM

21 posts, read 22,159 times
Art and Craft bungalows look like very pretty homes. I think rowhousing and brownstones are a lot more common out east especially in the East Coast Cities.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:29 PM

38 posts, read 36,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerguy View Post
Someday I like to move up to Minneapolis-St. Paul. What are some great neighborhoods to live in in Minneapolis or St. Paul. What neighborhoods are urban with good nightlife and shopping.

Depending on where you're coming from, you might be disappointed. Uptown and Loring Park might have what you're looking for if you come from a smaller town.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:24 AM

21 posts, read 22,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottylerdurden View Post
Depending on where you're coming from, you might be disappointed. Uptown and Loring Park might have what you're looking for if you come from a smaller town.
I do come from a small town 2 hours west of Chicago in Illinois. I spent a lot of time in Chicago, but it’s a little too big and fast paced even though I love visiting the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota