Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:27 PM

98 posts, read 335,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Hey... glad you took such an interest in me that you checked out my profile.
Where do I begin in addressing your comments??
You are a small person making snide commentary, and doing quite a bit of stereotyping of your own. You jump to conclusions because I work in a factory (skilled trades, by the way) and like country western music. I not only have college under my belt but also 12 years in the military where I lived many places and did many things. But in your elitist little world, I suppose the military, or blue collar work are bad things, huh?
My posts clearly show my location as being in Milwaukee Wisconsin, yet you state that I should "stay sequestered in the boring boonies of Minnesota." So much for your attention to detail. And your *nine* years of college.
Look, you didn't like my real world take on the whole "diversity" boondoggle, so you posted a reply of petty insults, innuendo, and liberal cliches. Pretty much what I expected. A "tolerant" person showing their own intolerance. Nothing new there.
To Shay!!!!!!!!! clap, clap, clap - well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 11,614 times
Default Spelling snob, too.

Lereca,
While you are busy celebrating try to remember it's "touche" and not "to shay". That's so cute, phonetic spelling of French words.
Mr. UnKool,
While your arguments are valid (military = a form of education, etc.) you never address the real issue of your assumption that diversity = problematic students.
I actually live on a former Navy base and am VERY aware that while the military does "educate", it does not replace university learning and it does not mean you are tolerant of other cultures. You are TRAINED to believe you are superior to other cultures. Many former military acknowledge this fact.
I think I've received the help I need from the more gentle posters and can now use what I've learned from it all and find peace when I move to the Twin Cities. Thanks for the clever responses-they reminded me of the redneck town I spent my high school years in, and reminded me of why I ran like hell to get out.
Hasta...

Old 05-03-2008, 01:38 AM

191 posts, read 694,284 times
I think by diverse schools he was assuming inner-city schools, which do seem to have more issues.

p.s. no one likes a spelling nazi.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:24 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,859,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auramoongreig View Post
Lereca,
While you are busy celebrating try to remember it's "touche" and not "to shay". That's so cute, phonetic spelling of French words.
Mr. UnKool,
While your arguments are valid (military = a form of education, etc.) you never address the real issue of your assumption that diversity = problematic students.
I actually live on a former Navy base and am VERY aware that while the military does "educate", it does not replace university learning and it does not mean you are tolerant of other cultures. You are TRAINED to believe you are superior to other cultures. Many former military acknowledge this fact.
I think I've received the help I need from the more gentle posters and can now use what I've learned from it all and find peace when I move to the Twin Cities. Thanks for the clever responses-they reminded me of the redneck town I spent my high school years in, and reminded me of why I ran like hell to get out.
Hasta...
LOL - I like a person that isn't afraid to tell it like it is, and I've always been a spelling snob myself so I appreciate that. Good luck in the job search, Patrick Henry High is a diverse school in my neck of the woods that you might like, it has some amazing teachers, and gets ranked highly every year.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:20 AM

3,665 posts, read 8,687,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Mustang View Post
I think by diverse schools he was assuming inner-city schools, which do seem to have more issues.

p.s. no one likes a spelling nazi.
I agree!

Old 05-22-2008, 12:25 PM

108 posts, read 320,318 times
Default Start Looking for Another Career

I moved up here from Oklahoma with my wife a couple of years ago and am licensed in secondary Social Studies. You probably will have to go back to school to meet Minnesota's "high standards" and get a standard license. Also, you will probably not find a job unless you know someone. I know this all sounds harsh, but I've been subbing up here nearly full-time for 2 years, held a LT sub position, and have never been hired on permanently. When there are openings I have been passed up for full-time positions by candidates who are mostly coaches and/or are complete idiots when it comes to content.

I also went to the University of Oklahoma, which has one of the best Ed programs in the country, and yet I still hardly get interviews. Most of the people who get hired went to third rate schools like UW-River Falls, or they are in debt or rich and went to one of the many small private colleges around the state or the U. The point is that they've probably never hired someone who went to the college you did so you're at even more of a disadvantage.

There is more growth in the Minneapolis area than most other cities in the Upper Midwest farther east, but not so much as to where there's any kind of teacher shortage outside of Special Education. Many teachers in English and Social Studies departments at big districts like Eden Prairie and Minnetonka are not even full-time and thus do not get paid for full-time.

There are major financial problems in the state with regard to education funding and it's quite common for many teachers up here who every spring have to worry about losing their job because they do not have tenure. I personally have know a few where this has been the case.

Teacher salaries suck up here. All I know is that starting teacher pay is between 33-37 grand, and that's before taxes, health care, and the Union start taking their monthly cut. The cost of living up here is way too high too justify such bad salaries. You can go to Texas and make about 10 grand more a year and the cost of living is about half as much (I may soon do this).

Finally, it's not just me. I've met many people who went to school in Minnesota who have problems finding teaching jobs up here.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:41 PM

250 posts, read 995,224 times
Auramoongreig,

I am disappointed you weren't thanked properly for extending your teaching skills into our school systems here in Minnesota. It is people like you that will make a difference. Thank you for opening up your heart and mind to our community.

A lot of the diverse schools here in the Twin Cities are in dire need of dedicated teachers.

I hope you find your experience in Minnesota to be rewarding and pleasurable.

Sarah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota