Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 03:04 PM

70 posts, read 66,141 times

Advertisements

Yes it is pretty strong. I find it more pronounced in females for some reason. The sound of passive aggression, just kidding... I've never been a fan of the accent, it does not sound appealing like a southern accent might. To me 'West' people don't really have an accent, they just sound 'normal' with no real drawls. Interestingly I don't seem to hear it on my Minnesotan friend who has lived their his whole life, maybe I'm just used to the way he sounds so an accent disappears and I suppose it's possible to never develop the accent. His wife I feel like I can hear it a bit more but not super strong.

Last edited by FJhg; 01-14-2019 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 06:39 PM

225 posts, read 211,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdLover27 View Post
It's already been touched on a little, but another question. Do Minnesotans also actually say "don'tcha know" "you betcha" "you know" "oh for cute" etc?
Never heard "you betcha" but I've heard "don'tchaknow," a couple of times from older people who were from north of the cities. The "cha" instead of "you", more generally, I hear fairly often. There are some unique words and phrases. My favorite is "spendy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJhg View Post
I've never been a fan of the accent, it does not sound appealing like a southern accent might.
So surprised to read this.

Coming most recently from the South I had a strong dislike for southern accents. Hearing them day in, day out was awful (no offense to any Southerners reading). To make it worse, more than a third of the time I couldn't understand them. I've never not understood someone with a Minnesotan accent. Minnesotan accents are far, far more appealing, IMO, but to each their own.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:53 PM

70 posts, read 66,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
Never heard "you betcha" but I've heard "don'tchaknow," a couple of times from older people who were from north of the cities. The "cha" instead of "you", more generally, I hear fairly often. There are some unique words and phrases. My favorite is "spendy".

Coming most recently from the South I had a strong dislike for southern accents. Hearing them day in, day out was awful (no offense to any Southerners reading). To make it worse, more than a third of the time I couldn't understand them. I've never not understood someone with a Minnesotan accent. Minnesotan accents are far, far more appealing, IMO, but to each their own.
Well I guess I mean a mild southern accent not a super strong one. You are right as far as accents go MN ones are pretty mild and not difficult to understand. Just something about them that annoys me I guess it's a personal thing. Ironically for all I know I have a mild MN accent, I did live there for a decade.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:18 PM

225 posts, read 211,430 times
Quote:
Well I guess I mean a mild southern accent not a super strong one.
Not to me. It's just one of those things.

Quote:
You are right as far as accents go MN ones are pretty mild and not difficult to understand. Just something about them that annoys me I guess it's a personal thing. Ironically for all I know I have a mild MN accent, I did live there for a decade.
If you lived there in your formative years, maybe. Some Minnesotans have basically no accent or have managed to get rid of it. However, that long "o", (like in "go") always seems to make an appearance, especially when they are relaxed.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:01 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Never heard "you betcha" but I've heard "don'tchaknow," a couple of times from older people who were from north of the cities. The "cha" instead of "you", more generally, I hear fairly often. There are some unique words and phrases. My favorite is "spendy"....

I think I say that about six times a day

Old 01-14-2019, 09:27 PM

256 posts, read 150,883 times
Quote:

I've lived in the deep south my whole life and I get sick of the accent myself. I guess it doesn't sound too strong, but I just hate it. Minnesotan accents on the other hand...

Old 01-14-2019, 10:10 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Quote:
To me 'West' people don't really have an accent, they just sound 'normal' with no real drawls.
Yeah they do. For me it's Californians that have the most distinct accent out West, but you'll hear it to a lesser degree all the way up the West Coast, too. My relatives in Seattle have it pretty bad.

People out West say things like "bahg" or "bah-og" (bag) with a dipthong in the middle. I find that accent irritating. It's mostly how long and short 'a' sounds are pronounced.

"Dod, can you put thot letter in the mailbohx? Mohm forgoht it". If you've ever watched "Little People, Big World", all of the Roloff kids (born and raised just outside of Portland) speak exactly like that. The mom, Amy, speaks normally without an accent because she's a Michigander.

The SNL sketch "The Californians" plays off an extremely exaggerated form of the accent, which is very noticeable to Upper Midwestern ears.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:26 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Yeah they do. For me it's Californians that have the most distinct accent out West, but you'll hear it to a lesser degree all the way up the West Coast, too. My relatives in Seattle have it pretty bad.

People out West say things like "bahg" or "bah-og" (bag) with a dipthong in the middle. I find that accent irritating. It's mostly how long and short 'a' sounds are pronounced.

"Dod, can you put thot letter in the mailbohx? Mohm forgoht it". If you've ever watched "Little People, Big World", all of the Roloff kids (born and raised just outside of Portland) speak exactly like that. The mom, Amy, speaks normally without an accent because she's a Michigander.

The SNL sketch "The Californians" plays off an extremely exaggerated form of the accent, which is very noticeable to Upper Midwestern ears.
Yes, another great place to hear the accent is on top 40 radio stations when they do those fake/posed as real relationship advice skits. All paid actors from California with thick accents. It's like, oh, Dave Ryan is suddenly talking to a lot of people from CA?

Old 01-15-2019, 12:38 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
A little off topic perhaps but it's a pet peeve of mine when newcomers here who work on radio or TV don't take the time to learn to correctly pronounce place names. They just assume the accents they brought with them.

Some of the people who programmed our automatic weather robots were really guilty of this. It's difficult to tell sometimes what area they are even talking about.

An example: wa-TAHN-wahn county instead of WAHT-n-wahn county.

But this is less an issue of accent and more an issue of professional negligence. Heh.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:08 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
A little off topic perhaps but it's a pet peeve of mine when newcomers here who work on radio or TV don't take the time to learn to correctly pronounce place names. They just assume the accents they brought with them.

Some of the people who programmed our automatic weather robots were really guilty of this. It's difficult to tell sometimes what area they are even talking about.

An example: wa-TAHN-wahn county instead of WAHT-n-wahn county.

But this is less an issue of accent and more an issue of professional negligence. Heh.
I fear that when the robots can correctly pronounce Minnesota place names, they will finally be positioned to be our masters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota