Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 10:52 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times

Advertisements

Duluth is beautiful but have heard renting is difficult, but I don't know that. I think I have read it here on city-data, so do a search here.

Winter weather lasts much longer than even the Twin Cities area. Gets colder at least two weeks sooner and it dragged out at least two weeks longer in Spring. If you want a more milder shorter winter southern Minnesota will be a better pick. Fairmont may be a good choice. Rent is probably less than Duluth area too, maybe better choices too. I would look for places that have veteran services not too far away. What about Mankato area. It is a college town so rent may be higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 11:23 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Are you sure you want to move to Minnesota? Taxes here are brutal on the retired.....

Minnesota Retirement - Taxes and Economic Factors to Consider

https://smartasset.com/retirement/mi...tirement-taxes

Overview of Minnesota Retirement Tax Friendliness
Minnesota taxes Social Security retirement benefits and all other forms of retirement income. Sales taxes in the state are relatively high, while property taxes are close to average

Old 01-07-2019, 01:47 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Duluth is beautiful but have heard renting is difficult, but I don't know that. I think I have read it here on city-data, so do a search here.

Winter weather lasts much longer than even the Twin Cities area. Gets colder at least two weeks sooner and it dragged out at least two weeks longer in Spring. If you want a more milder shorter winter southern Minnesota will be a better pick. Fairmont may be a good choice. Rent is probably less than Duluth area too, maybe better choices too. I would look for places that have veteran services not too far away. What about Mankato area. It is a college town so rent may be higher.
True about rent. It is higher than it should be. Houses in the working class neighborhoods are very inexpensive. Even in the better neighborhood I live in, I paid less than $200k to live across the street from Lake Superior. My house was fairly turn key. Much of the strife about home affordability in Duluth has to do with modern houses which are very expensive. If you would be the type of person that needs (wants) a new house, you probably wouldn't even consider Duluth to live.

As far as the climate, the longer winter is balanced out with a milder summer. We average 2 days of 90+ deg. F a year. Given the OP's desire to avoid heat of really any kind, Duluth area is a better choice than anywhere south for this person.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:54 AM

16 posts, read 27,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Are you sure you want to move to Minnesota? Taxes here are brutal on the retired.....

Minnesota Retirement - Taxes and Economic Factors to Consider

https://smartasset.com/retirement/mi...tirement-taxes

Overview of Minnesota Retirement Tax Friendliness
Minnesota taxes Social Security retirement benefits and all other forms of retirement income. Sales taxes in the state are relatively high, while property taxes are close to average
Regarding Taxes; I don't make enough for it to be a factor. I took a HUGE pay cut going from working full time as a Mechanical Drafter to Disability, SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance). Total shock, although my SSDI is on the high side due to paying in it at a higher rate than most, its still not enough to live in San Diego, CA or to have to pay taxes of any significance.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post

Yes I have looked into where the Veterans services are located. St. Cloud and the Cities have the hospitals with Clinics spread through out. And I have looked at the Fairmount area. I have one sister that lives in New Ulm and another sister in Green Isle. So much good information coming from this Forum site, thanks so much.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I'd suggest staying away from tourist destination towns to keep the cost down. Plenty to choose from as you well know. 86 the diversity, just not going to see it in small town MN. Find the Veterans Services representative for the area you're interested in and contact them, I'm sure they could put you in touch with what you're needing. Many apartment buildings in smaller towns have rent control helping lower income people exist in these times.
True on staying away from Tourist destination towns, which brings in higher costs and more people.

I will definitely look into Veterans Services representative for the area I'm interested in and contact them, that never crossed my mind.

And I was not aware of rent control in smaller towns for lower income people. I will look into that as well. This is rent control in San Diego, CA. If you can call it that, the wait list is 10 years.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:27 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,129,801 times
If this means anything or not, but a friend of mine is a nurse at the Vets Home in Silver Bay, MN which is a mining town on Lake Superior about an hour northeast of Duluth.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:43 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
If this means anything or not, but a friend of mine is a nurse at the Vets Home in Silver Bay, MN which is a mining town on Lake Superior about an hour northeast of Duluth.
If it helps matters, this area of the North Shore is astonishingly beautiful. If it fits your mold, I would highly recommend.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:14 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblues46 View Post

I will definitely look into Veterans Services representative for the area I'm interested in and contact them, that never crossed my mind.
Let me know if you want to reach out to the guy in my area (Wadena County), I know him.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:43 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,129,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
If it helps matters, this area of the North Shore is astonishingly beautiful. If it fits your mold, I would highly recommend.
Rent is cheap too, her parents rent out 2 or 3 of their homes and going rate last year was $700. But, this past summer the plant brought in 100+ contract employees and housing was very scarce. You can also buy many homes for under $100k. There's 4 current homes under $100k and 6 pending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota