Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2018, 07:50 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times

Advertisements

So as not to interfere with the other recent thread on Winona, I'll start a separate one. Would appreciate responses to these questions:

1. For locals, would you consider city & county government average, better or worse at running & improving services and the community?

2. If you wanted to live on edge of town or up to 20 minutes outside it, which areas would you consider the most attractive (land, road access into downtown, safety, etc.)?

3. I see complaints about recreational water quality. How bad?

4. Do city / county / state snowplow basically everything or just primary roads?

5. Favorite park / trail in the region (for walking or biking)?

6. Biggest surprise for newcomers (good or bad)?

I've looked thru most of the bigger Winona threads but these questions remain.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-30-2018 at 08:00 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 06:55 PM

69 posts, read 32,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
So as not to interfere with the other recent thread on Winona, I'll start a separate one. Would appreciate responses to these questions:

1. For locals, would you consider city & county government average, better or worse at running & improving services and the community?

2. If you wanted to live on edge of town or up to 20 minutes outside it, which areas would you consider the most attractive (land, road access into downtown, safety, etc.)?

3. I see complaints about recreational water quality. How bad?

4. Do city / county / state snowplow basically everything or just primary roads?

5. Favorite park / trail in the region (for walking or biking)?

6. Biggest surprise for newcomers (good or bad)?

I've looked thru most of the bigger Winona threads but these questions remain.

Haven't lived there, just impressed on visits and online reading.

You don't need to live outside of town to feel safe, or to see attractive things. If you want to buy acreage, then you need to live out of town I think.

Recreational water quality? I'm not the EPA, but I'd guess don't eat the fish you catch unless a more authoritative source says occasional is OK. Canoes are for rent on Lake Winona at foot of Main Street, so they're not allowing maximum pollution or noise. The Rec Center at that place offers many more activities.

Snowplowing is mandatory ASAP on all highways, business streets, and residential streets. Possibly this is not the case for going up a bluff park on the outskirts, but must admit I haven't been there I winter and if they had downhill skiing for a fee, they'd have to have a plowed lot.

The mostly well-respected Winona State University is just a few blocks up Main. They are one of the main sources of "crime" (public drunkenness), but that is true in almost any university town. On the weekends, some students go home, and many residents don't work. It is a time to shop. So you might be able to go into a smaller park and have it to yourself, very peaceful.

Winona last I heard had a campgrounds on a Mississippi island. They used to have people living on houseboats on Mississippi River, but I haven't checked into if this is still allowed.

They have the 1854 Anderson House Hotel on the W side a few blocks from the 1853 Windom Park. It's now a new name a bed & breakfast that is enough reason for many to come to Winona.

You can get an apartment is this historic recreation-filled college town for only around $500/month, assuming any vacancies. Winona was Minnesota's 3rd largest city in 1880. It didn't shrink, it's just that other cities offering more things grew faster. Winona has a post WWII suburb called Goodview. If a person ever "needs" a metro area of 3.5 million, it's just 2 hours or less up US Highway 61.

You'll find a few more chain stores in La Crosse. La Crosse offers a few more other things as well, but Winona seems one of the finest cities for a somewhat smaller place. Best wishes.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:24 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Thanks for the reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota