Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 08:19 PM

459 posts, read 2,230,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeb99 View Post
I noticed a few things related to the houses there while I was in Minnesota. The main thing that caught my eye was how almost no homes at all were made of brick. Here in the south, almost every home is brick. Anyone know why there are so few brick homes up there? Also, when driving through the twin cities I kept noticing these places that I weren't quite sure what they were. They looked almost liked houses, but at the same time like apartments cause they were connected together. But, they also had garages. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Also, I noticed all the older homes were very different from here in the south. They were almost all square and tall. Our architecture is quite different here.
The reason you see fewer brick homes in the Twin Cities is 100% related to cost (it is not a function of insulation values as both brick and wood are poor insulators). Not only is the material more expensive here, the masonry trades have traditionally been strongly unionized in the Twin Cites, leading to much higher installation costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 07:35 PM

82 posts, read 273,171 times
Any victorian homes?

Old 12-11-2007, 09:18 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,141,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snallygaster View Post
Any victorian homes?
Up here in Duluth there are quite a few Victorian homes. They're nice to look at.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:29 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,569,365 times
There are also alot of Victorians in Mpls., Saint Paul, Winona, Red Wing and Stillwater.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,870,443 times
Quote:
He was talking about the North Shore of Minnesota, which has notably different weather from, say, Hibbing. If you actually live on the shore, you'll rarely see higher than 85. Winters there are also warmer than inland (but still not warm by any means!)
Yes, I was talking about the areas right along the shore, even though I probably couldn't afford the real estate there...

Quote:
FWIW, many of the houses in the NW Atlanta metro have basements (most of the newer developments, I would guess). Ours only has a half-basement (the other half is the garage, which is located under the house), but that's fine.
That's pretty cool. Strangely enough, in many other parts of the South, like Arkansas or western Tennessee, you can spend 500k-1m on a house and still not get a basement... despite the onslaught of tornadoes. 500k buys a very large house down there, otherwise.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:03 PM

284 posts, read 1,658,080 times
I don't believe use or non-use of brick has anything to do with weather. Anyone who's spent much time in the Northeast (as well as a number of other cold climates) has seen that brick is prevalent among the housing stock.

I believe it is a cost issue. In Minnesota, Brick (materials + labor) costs about $8/sf, while vinyl siding costs less than $2/sf.

I don't know the costs of brick in other places, but I do know for a fact that labor is much less expensive in many southern markets (Texas, in particular).

And use of a material like brick has a snowball effect - the more it's used the lower prices get.

That doesn't mean you won't see brick here - there are some beautiful older brick homes around Minneapolis and St. Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota