Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 10:39 PM

114 posts, read 111,187 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience using mini-split ductless pumps (electrical system), such as Mitsubishi, to heat homes in Northern Minnesota? And are there any local companies installing these?

I think most MN heating happens with oil/kerosene Monitor type heaters, if I'm not mistaken.

Mini-split pumps are replacing oil/diesel/kerosene heaters in other moderately cold regions now, as far as I know/have some experience with this, and are performing great while electric bills are kept low. Standard mini-splits were graded for -4F minimum, but I see now they make ones that should handle -15F! Curious if anyone is using them in MN already.
(if it gets colder than minimum temperature for the pump, one can just switch to fuel-based heater for that time)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 03:55 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierranevada1 View Post
Does anyone have experience using mini-split ductless pumps (electrical system), such as Mitsubishi, to heat homes in Northern Minnesota? And are there any local companies installing these?

I think most MN heating happens with oil/kerosene Monitor type heaters, if I'm not mistaken.

Mini-split pumps are replacing oil/diesel/kerosene heaters in other moderately cold regions now, as far as I know/have some experience with this, and are performing great while electric bills are kept low. Standard mini-splits were graded for -4F minimum, but I see now they make ones that should handle -15F! Curious if anyone is using them in MN already.
(if it gets colder than minimum temperature for the pump, one can just switch to fuel-based heater for that time)
I think it is too cold up there or anywhere in MN for that matter. It gets colder than -15 sometimes and from what I have read I don't think they necessarily perform at such temps. I guess if you were already on LP it could make sense.

I am looking at ductless mini-splits for a/c as I have hot water heat. I have an OLD high velocity a/c (spacepak/unico) system now that has died. Seems like no one is installing these anymore, so looks like I am going to switch to the Mitusubishi or Daikin mini-split. $$$

Old 08-09-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
I think it is too cold up there or anywhere in MN for that matter. It gets colder than -15 sometimes and from what I have read I don't think they necessarily perform at such temps. I guess if you were already on LP it could make sense.

I am looking at ductless mini-splits for a/c as I have hot water heat. I have an OLD high velocity a/c (spacepak/unico) system now that has died. Seems like no one is installing these anymore, so looks like I am going to switch to the Mitusubishi or Daikin mini-split. $$$
They make ductless mini-split pumps graded for -15F now.
I plan to have a small space to heat, also and will oversize BTU.
When it does get to -15 and below, of course can just switch to wood stove or Monitor heater (I can't tolerate these for a long time, bad for my lungs). I was searching for info on newer pumps graded for colder than -10 and hit Minnesota-based resource, so seems like they're used in MN.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:14 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Many (most?) homes in Minnesota are heated with natural gas these days. Don't know about the mini-split systems that you're asking about. Sorry.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Many (most?) homes in Minnesota are heated with natural gas these days. Don't know about the mini-split systems that you're asking about. Sorry.
I should have clarified that I was asking about rural homes, or large lots. Not likely to have natural gas available, mostly will be heated by oil/kerosene Monitor heater or propane (heating with latter is too expensive in MN climate).

Old 08-18-2018, 02:42 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,285 times
They might make sense if the home is set up with radiators and you primarily want a way to get air conditioning, and are looking at the heating abilities as an added bonus.

I don't have a lot of experience with the heat pumps, but I know that as outdoor temperatures go down, so does the supply temperature of the air that is blown out of them. I.E... The colder it is outside, the less well they work.

They certainly can be more cost effective to run than many other sources of heat during milder weather, but when it gets really cold outside you will probably need another source of heat.

If the house is set up for natural gas, the payback isn't usually worth it vs. a high efficiency furnace. If all you have available is oil, propane, or electricity though, a heat pump (conventional or mini-split system) probably is a good idea, at least as an alternate/back up system.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:09 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierranevada1 View Post
I should have clarified that I was asking about rural homes, or large lots. Not likely to have natural gas available, mostly will be heated by oil/kerosene Monitor heater or propane (heating with latter is too expensive in MN climate).
All my relatives who live in the country heat with propane except for two who have heat pumps combined with a propane furnace. While propane is expensive so is fuel oil and propane is cleaner. I don’t think the mini-split system alone would provide enough heat in the winter.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:19 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
a ground source heat pump could provide heat even during the coldest months

Old 11-29-2019, 03:45 AM

10 posts, read 7,639 times
We had a mini split for AC in a 3 season sun porch at our previous (rural) residence (LP and wood for heating) and currently have a mini split system in our large shop (in town) for cooling (natural gas for heating). They're very effective and efficient for cooling, but I would never consider one as a lone heat source. It would work in the fall and early spring but, even in the central part of the state, where I am, we get quite a few days with temps below -15, and northern MN is colder yet. So, if you're going to install one for a cooling system and also use it as a second-source, supplemental heating system in the fall and spring, fine. If you're thinking of installing one just for a heat source, I doubt it would be worth the cost since they're quite expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota