Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 07:13 PM

25 posts, read 29,251 times

Advertisements

Well to start I am from the Twin Cities, and I like taking LONG drives into the country! I don't like this concrete jungle that I call home, not one bit. But anyways, I was in a certain very small town a while back, I won't name it specifically, but I'll say it's at the west end of Minnesota Highway 7. But when I was in this town, I could tell I wasn't liked. The waitress at the grill/bar in town was distant and unfriendly to me, and the locals always watched me intently. Now i understand that I should expect this in small towns like that, but I'm just wondering what some other people's experiences have been in very small towns in Minnesota (under 1,000 people). I had never had that reaction from people before in small towns in Minnesota, but I was always in towns of over 1,000 people or so. Is it something that varies from town to town? Or is it universal in towns under a certain size? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 07:52 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
You have a) vivid imagination b) you watch too much TV because in the real life you have to look darn hard to find a town where "the locals always watched me intently", that's so Hollywood it is ridiculous. In the real life most small towns look and feel like deserts where people don't pay attention to the people next door not speaking of the strangers.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:06 PM

25 posts, read 29,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
You have a) vivid imagination b) you watch too much TV because in the real life you have to look darn hard to find a town where "the locals always watched me intently", that's so Hollywood it is ridiculous. In the real life most small towns look and feel like deserts where people don't pay attention to the people next door not speaking of the strangers.
Hey sorry but I'm just telling you what I experienced.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:17 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US64WB View Post
Is it something that varies from town to town? Or is it universal in towns under a certain size? Just curious.
Firstly, good for you for escaping the Concrete Jungle and venturing out to see the real Minnesota!

Secondly, of COURSE it varies from town to town!

If you're in a place where they all know one another and you're the only new face in the place, of course they're going to look at you! It's just natural. I doubt if it was malevolent, though. Maybe they thought you were looking at them. Maybe you were. Maybe you were looking at one another!

Then there's the whole self-effacing reticent Minnesota Lutheran thing . . . didn't you ever listen to Prairie Home Companion?

If you were in a town that gets a lot of tourists, they were probably sick of the sight of you. When I lived up in NE MN my favorite local bumpersticker was the one that said "Have you been rude to a tourist today?" That still makes me laugh.

I've lived a lot of places in the US, and have traveled a lot too, and have learned one thing: don't judge a place by the behavior of the local service workers. That's hard work that pays badly. The people you met probably had sore feet and noisy meth head neighbors who party all night. Also, a lot of service workers are in their teens and early 20s, and we all know how awful people that age are. I figure that when I actually encounter a happy, friendly convenience store clerk and waitress and motel desk clerk all in one day then all the stars have aligned correctly and I might even win the lottery that day, too.

On the other hand, maybe you look like a narc.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:44 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Firstly, good for you for escaping the Concrete Jungle and venturing out to see the real Minnesota!

Secondly, of COURSE it varies from town to town!

If you're in a place where they all know one another and you're the only new face in the place, of course they're going to look at you! It's just natural. I doubt if it was malevolent, though. Maybe they thought you were looking at them. Maybe you were. Maybe you were looking at one another!

Then there's the whole self-effacing reticent Minnesota Lutheran thing . . . didn't you ever listen to Prairie Home Companion?

If you were in a town that gets a lot of tourists, they were probably sick of the sight of you. When I lived up in NE MN my favorite local bumpersticker was the one that said "Have you been rude to a tourist today?" That still makes me laugh.

I've lived a lot of places in the US, and have traveled a lot too, and have learned one thing: don't judge a place by the behavior of the local service workers. That's hard work that pays badly. The people you met probably had sore feet and noisy meth head neighbors who party all night. Also, a lot of service workers are in their teens and early 20s, and we all know how awful people that age are. I figure that when I actually encounter a happy, friendly convenience store clerk and waitress and motel desk clerk all in one day then all the stars have aligned correctly and I might even win the lottery that day, too.

On the other hand, maybe you look like a narc.
I hung around a girl in Silver Bay and learned all about it. Term was citidiots. My mom is from Thunder Bay, so I’ve been driving the shore for almost 40 yrs and didn’t understand term. She told me about people constantly asking about whales, dolphins, stopping in lanes on 61 to look at something. The term made sense Now my plan is to make a fake whale in silver bay marina that all of 61 can see. Then the citidiots will stop and get rear ended. Then my towing company sitting near by will tow to my lot and collect towing and storage fees.

We’ve hung out in Beaver Bay and Silver Bay many times, don’t feel uncomfortable at all. When I’ve walked into Silver Bay muni people have stared at start, but that happens any and everywhere, never felt uncomfortable.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:56 PM

210 posts, read 285,686 times
Is your face on a wanted poster at several post offices? That would probably do it.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:08 PM

240 posts, read 586,104 times
Quote:
Well to start I am from the Twin Cities, and I like taking LONG drives into the country! I don't like this concrete jungle that I call home, not one bit. But anyways, I was in a certain very small town a while back, I won't name it specifically, but I'll say it's at the west end of Minnesota Highway 7. But when I was in this town, I could tell I wasn't liked. The waitress at the grill/bar in town was distant and unfriendly to me, and the locals always watched me intently. Now i understand that I should expect this in small towns like that, but I'm just wondering what some other people's experiences have been in very small towns in Minnesota (under 1,000 people). I had never had that reaction from people before in small towns in Minnesota, but I was always in towns of over 1,000 people or so. Is it something that varies from town to town? Or is it universal in towns under a certain size? Just curious.
I have lived in several states and provinces. Small towns (pop. 57 & up) and cities. I spent my first years in a city of 400 people and I think you had to count a few dogs and cats to get up to that.
I never take an interstate if I'm not in a hurry. I take the back roads and stop in the small to tiny places. They are all the same and it makes their day to see someone different not mention the gossip you create.
- You may feel you are not liked but most of the time these people haven't conversed with a stranger in years. You would be amazed if you say a few words to these people they will end up talking you ear off and in the end you will have their life history and they will have yours.
-They watch you because they been looking each other for so long that is a real treat to have someone else to watch and try to figure out. I guess it's long out of style but I used to wear a suit to a job interview. I was in this little town to apply for a school custodial position and the first guy I ran into asked me if I was the new Ludern minister. Maybe he mispronounced a word.
-As far as the waitress goes, I can't believe that you have never run into an unpleasant waitress in a big place. As someone said earlier the waitress might be the most pleasant, helpful person alive the next day. Most waitresses are pleasant because they know your impression will be reflected in the tip they get. Have you never had a bad day at work and snapped at somebody.
-There is no variation, the people are same in SMALL towns everywhere. I am certainly not saying that they are all wonderful people.

Last edited by 13levine; 03-02-2018 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 03-02-2018, 08:13 PM

240 posts, read 586,104 times
Quote:
I have lived in several states and provinces. Small towns (pop. 57 & up) and cities. I spent my first years in a city of 400 people and I think you had to count a few dogs and cats to get up to that.
I never take an interstate if I'm not in a hurry. I take the back roads and stop in the small to tiny places. They are all the same and it makes their day to see someone different not mention the gossip you create.
- You may feel you are not liked but most of the time these people haven't conversed with a stranger in years. You would be amazed if you say a few words to these people they will end up talking you ear off and in the end you will have their life history and they will have yours.
-They watch you because they been looking each other for so long that is a real treat to have someone else to watch and try to figure out. I guess it's long out of style but I used to wear a suit to a job interview. I was in this little town to apply for a school custodial position and the first guy I ran into asked me if I was the new Ludern minister.
-As far as the waitress goes, I can't believe that you have never run into an unpleasant waitress in a big place. As someone said earlier the might be the most pleasant, helpful person alive the next day. Most waitresses are pleasant because they know your impression will be reflected in the tip they get. Have never had a bad day at work and snapped at somebody.
-There is no variation, the people are same in SMALL towns everywhere. I am certainly not saying that they are all wonderful people.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:13 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn shutterbug View Post
Is your face on a wanted poster at several post offices? That would probably do it.
Maybe they had a booger hanging out? I for one always tell people that, but I know lots would let you walk around with a big 'ole nose nugget sticking out....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: