Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 12:41 AM

93 posts, read 84,658 times

Advertisements

As we get closer to winter, I was wondering what people with pets do in really cold weather, especially with lots of snow. Cats can take care of themselves indoors, but how do you let dogs out to do their business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 07:20 AM

442 posts, read 596,460 times
Dogs are built for it — albeit in short bursts. I have two Boxer mixes and neither has a problem being outside in the snow for the 5-10 minutes they need in the morning and evening. If it's really cold (below zero) I have to watch for their paws freezing up, but even that's pretty rare. My previous dog, a black lab, would beg to be outside all day long in the snow.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:31 AM

3,312 posts, read 3,052,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGates01 View Post
As we get closer to winter, I was wondering what people with pets do in really cold weather, especially with lots of snow. Cats can take care of themselves indoors, but how do you let dogs out to do their business?
When we lived in Minneapolis we had greyhounds. We took them for walks (even if just around the block) on all but the worst days of minus zero temps/wind chills. We probably skipped our daily walks altogether only 3 or 4 times a winter.

We let them out into our fenced backyard whenever they needed to go out in between walks. They would do their business FAST and hustle back in. Greyhounds have notoriously thin coats (ours were totally bare in some areas) so we had fleece lined coats for them, and on the very cold days we would put their coats on even for a quick backyard visit. (After we moved to a very windy part of Wisconsin, we purchased these knit turtleneck sweaters and put them on under the coats for extra warmth.)

Old 12-13-2017, 01:39 PM

810 posts, read 855,815 times
Just as long as nobody is leaving a pet outside all day. that is cruel.

I had a mixed breed and she hated the rain. We live in the NW. She would wait until the last minute then go out do her business fast and come back.

Before her I had a golden who loved being outside no matter the weather and those rare occasions when we had snow she would want to play outside all day. :-)

Old 12-14-2017, 06:53 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,042,515 times
It all depends on the breed. We own a Labradoodle and he LOVES snow. He doesn’t mind being outside.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:06 AM

1,299 posts, read 827,605 times
I live a bit north of Minnesota. Down to a certain temp, my lab loves the cold, will stay out as long as she does in the summer. Once it gets below -30C we have to put boots on her feet, or they freeze and she squeals. She still wants to go, though, no matter what.

I used to work at a doggy daycare where the dogs had free rein to go outdoors at any time. Most dogs want to go out. Even the short haired toy breeds, though their stays were a minute or two when it got frigid. Big hairy guys would spend hours out there, playing and lounging in the snow.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:52 PM

210 posts, read 287,780 times
I've had a half mini schnauzer/half maltese for 5 or 6 years and he has never missed a day of getting his walk. The coldest walk he ever got was when it was a wind chill of -35F. It was just a 5 minute walk and as long as he had his boots on he was more comfortable than me I think. He can get by without boots on in the snow until it gets down to 4 degrees. That was the magic number for my last ankle biter too. Then again, if I walk him where the sun is hitting, he can tolerate a colder air temp because the sun adds a bit of heat to where he is stepping. It's not unusual for me to take him on 1/2 hour walks when the temp is as low as 5 degrees. He doesn't even seem to notice.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:19 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,618,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGates01 View Post
A good pet owner will know when he or she has a good dog. And what type of temps the pet can handle.
For example you will know if you have a good outdoor dog when they go hiking with you on a extended hiking trail (Superior Hiking Trail ) for example, for a 8 mile round trip hike. When the temps are about
anywhere between 10 and -10F, and you reach for a drink of water from the your water bottle and it is about half filled with slush of ice inside.

You share your water with your companion then and continue. It is also important to put on dog boots so the snow will not ball up in the toes and then if that happens, they will lick and bite at the snowballs making their feet wet, and making the problem worse.

The best temps for winter hiking is right around 0 or -10F, not too warm, not too cold. IF you have with you the correct type of dog, the temps wont be a problem, even on colder days. Of course if it is -20F or something like that then you will want to have the dog outside but let it come in when it wants too unless it has a warm place to be like a nice shelter to lie in.

My other dog stayed out most of the day when I was in the shop on the coldest days. I had the door partway open and whenever she wanted to come inside for awhile all she had to do was push open the door.

Many times I would look out at her to check to see how she was doing, and it would be very cold out, and she would be laying down curled up in the snow and sawdust on the ground.

On the cold days it is so nice having a nice warm shop, and your best friend right outside the door to spend the day.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:35 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,922,668 times
My dogs don't care for the cold so they go out to potty for 5-10 minutes (tops) on cold days. They tend to hold it and go fast and then come to the door to come back in. If its really cold, I wait by the door and let them back in as soon as they are done.

Warmer days, 30F+ I will leave them outside for 30 minutes at the warmest part of the day. Or if I go out front with them, they will play in the snow.

They have a sheltered area in the back but I don't think its warm enough for them to be out long. If they liked it I would be ok with longer periods. But since they clearly don't like it, its a sign its too cold for them.

I want to set up some emergency warm area in case they got stuck outside...but not sure how to go about that.

My dogs are 40 and 70 lbs, short coat, muscular mixed breeds who are 4ish.

My old dog, I just let her go out for a minute and back in...a lot through the day when I am home. Cause she has to pee a lot but cant tolerate cold well.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:48 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,943,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
A good pet owner will know when he or she has a good dog. And what type of temps the pet can handle.
For example you will know if you have a good outdoor dog when they go hiking with you on a extended hiking trail (Superior Hiking Trail ) for example, for a 8 mile round trip hike. When the temps are about
anywhere between 10 and -10F, and you reach for a drink of water from the your water bottle and it is about half filled with slush of ice inside.

You share your water with your companion then and continue. It is also important to put on dog boots so the snow will not ball up in the toes and then if that happens, they will lick and bite at the snowballs making their feet wet, and making the problem worse.

The best temps for winter hiking is right around 0 or -10F, not too warm, not too cold. IF you have with you the correct type of dog, the temps wont be a problem, even on colder days. Of course if it is -20F or something like that then you will want to have the dog outside but let it come in when it wants too unless it has a warm place to be like a nice shelter to lie in.

My other dog stayed out most of the day when I was in the shop on the coldest days. I had the door partway open and whenever she wanted to come inside for awhile all she had to do was push open the door.

Many times I would look out at her to check to see how she was doing, and it would be very cold out, and she would be laying down curled up in the snow and sawdust on the ground.

On the cold days it is so nice having a nice warm shop, and your best friend right outside the door to spend the day.
I can totally relate to your post. We had a Siberian Husky and as I'm sure you know they love the cold and snow. The neat part about their thick double layer coat is that it protects them against harsh winters plus the coat reflects heat in the summer. One of the perfect dogs for Minnesota, I think.

We lived in Silver Bay when we had her and my husband loved going hiking on the Superior Hiking Trail with the dog, Daisy. I took her for the in-town walks. since I didn't want to be gone for hours at a time. What you described about seeing your dog curled up in the snow... yup! Many times she just wasn't interested in being indoors during the daytime in winter; not for too long anyway. (Of course, she was an indoor/outdoor dog and spent all nights inside.)

I miss her very much; she was the BEST dog we ever had. And such a gentle dog with children also. We decided our dog days are over as we get older; however, if for some reason we ever got another dog it would definitely be another Siberian Husky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota