Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:27 PM

55 posts, read 305,312 times

Advertisements

The original location where Juno was filmed was Barnaby, Canadá, but the
movie pretends it is in Minnesota...They don't mention the town but I
guess it would be Elk River, as the race team's name is Dancing Elk Condors and Juno also drives to
St. Clouds, which is next to Elk River, to meet the foster parents...
anyway the setting was really appealing...!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 09:15 PM

781 posts, read 2,627,727 times
I had heard that the indoor scenes were filmed in Canada, because it's cheaper there, but the outdoor scenes were filmed in Minnesota.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:41 PM

Default Elk???

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumpork View Post
I had heard that the indoor scenes were filmed in Canada, because it's cheaper there, but the outdoor scenes were filmed in Minnesota.
You're right... the movie was shot in Barnaby, Canada, but what indoor scenes are you talking about????!!!! There are only a couple of indoor scenes (the mall and the parents house)...almost the whole movie was shot outdoor...!!!!
but what I was wondering was whether it was in Elk River....

Old 03-18-2008, 10:32 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
The fictional town that Juno is set in is a neighborhood of older bungalows. Elk River, or at least nearly all of Elk River, has been built in the last couple decades. The movie was not trying to depict any particular city, but if I had to make a comparison Elk River would be far down the list.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:00 AM

781 posts, read 2,627,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooliner View Post
You're right... the movie was shot in Barnaby, Canada, but what indoor scenes are you talking about????!!!! There are only a couple of indoor scenes (the mall and the parents house)...almost the whole movie was shot outdoor...!!!!
but what I was wondering was whether it was in Elk River....
Geesh, didn't mean to get anyone riled up. That's only what I had heard. Also, I remember quite a few indoor scenes (adopters house had quite a few scenes, as well as school and parents house).

Old 03-19-2008, 12:21 PM

98 posts, read 510,873 times
It's been a couple of months now since I saw the movie, but I'm pretty sure it was supposed to take place in the Cities somewhere. Here's why:

Juno Avenue is in St. Paul. Granted Juno says it was the name of Zeus's wife, but still, it makes sense.

The houses all seemed to be small bungalows pretty close together. That's definitely what it's like in Minneapolis and St. Paul. I don't think a small town would have the houses that close together.

No small town is going to have an abortion clinic. Granted, I'm not sure if they make any reference to how far away the clinic was for her, but thats still something.

I think it was mentioned in the movie that it was about an hours drive to St. Cloud. That would make sense with the cities.

Most importantly, I think is that Juno's mom said something about St. Cloud being out in "East Jesus Nowhere". Granted St. Cloud is northwest of the cities, but this definitely sounds like its in the Cities. St. Cloud is a pretty big town, but the mom holds little regard for it, so that tells me she lives in a much bigger community if thats how she views St. Cloud, and there aren't too many towns bigger than St. Cloud that are about an hours away.

I've only seen the movie once, and that was a couple months ago, like I said, but I think what I said makes a pretty good case for the cities.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak11 View Post
It's been a couple of months now since I saw the movie, but I'm pretty sure it was supposed to take place in the Cities somewhere. Here's why:

Juno Avenue is in St. Paul. Granted Juno says it was the name of Zeus's wife, but still, it makes sense.

The houses all seemed to be small bungalows pretty close together. That's definitely what it's like in Minneapolis and St. Paul. I don't think a small town would have the houses that close together.

No small town is going to have an abortion clinic. Granted, I'm not sure if they make any reference to how far away the clinic was for her, but thats still something.

I think it was mentioned in the movie that it was about an hours drive to St. Cloud. That would make sense with the cities.

Most importantly, I think is that Juno's mom said something about St. Cloud being out in "East Jesus Nowhere". Granted St. Cloud is northwest of the cities, but this definitely sounds like its in the Cities. St. Cloud is a pretty big town, but the mom holds little regard for it, so that tells me she lives in a much bigger community if thats how she views St. Cloud, and there aren't too many towns bigger than St. Cloud that are about an hours away.

I've only seen the movie once, and that was a couple months ago, like I said, but I think what I said makes a pretty good case for the cities.
Thanks a lot SoDak11 for your review... I hadn't tumble to those details but what you said
makes perfect sense... Indeed, It couldn't be Elk River...anyway...because as you said, the houses are pretty close...
But I just loved that town...
I love movies that show the environment of the cities like JUNO...pretty cool...!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 31,656 times
Default Elk River/MSP?

I'm gonna have to disagree with both ideas that the film was shot in either Elk River or MSP. I think the show was "based" out of Alex - you got your old-school houses and it's also ~1 hour from St. Cloud.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:27 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times
The scene when they're driving to Saint Cloud passing by McMansion after McMansion is hilarious.

Although the city is never pointed out I always sort of figured the area for something like Crystal or New Hope for some reason.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:59 AM

501 posts, read 1,945,175 times
I thought at some point it was mentioned that St Cloud was east of where they were. That threw me off from thinking they were in the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota