Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 02:13 PM

7 posts, read 15,072 times

Advertisements

I found an interesting article: https://www.minnpost.com/politics-po...among-best-get

I've always consistently heard about how Minnesota is always ranked highly in quality of life, best place to raise a family, best drivers, best doctors and health care, etc..

Now, my question to you, is, do you agree? Do you think Minnesota is a great place to live? Do you agree that all these rankings are accurate? Tell me your opinions..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 06:09 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,605,739 times
I do think that there are many reasons why to move here. Some of the biggest considerations would have to be the draw of the weather. Mainly the winter that we have here. This has to be in my opinion one of the most important factors, of course there are other reasons, family, work, the list can go on and on.

Having lived in northern Minnesota for 52 years, and that many winter, I can easily see why people come from far and near for the winter. Generally folks tend to thrive in these places that actually have a great summer, and cold winters. Four seasons are so great.

The places that are here in this state that are filled with such beauty, the clean water, air, the scenery, it does not matter if in the southern part of the state, or the northern part of the state. The seasons are the largest draw.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:43 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,038,536 times
My general take both intellectually and anecdotally is that Minnesota succeeds in the areas that really matter.

Intellectually: We have a state that, for most people, provides ample opportunities, has a culture of success, and doesn't kill your wallet with cost of living. The state budget is balanced, people participate in government, our industries are diversified, and our culture is positive. The auxiliary stuff, such as Mediterranean weather, terrain, being-the-center-of-the-universe is not emphasized because it doesn't actually make people happy. It is cool to experience on a vacation, but people don't actually need it and Minnesota not having it isn't that big of a deal if you really think about it.

Anecdotally: When I lived in California, I had everything that society said should make me happy, but it was miserable. I lived 15 minutes from the ocean and had 70 degree weather most of the year. All of that seems good, but I was living the LA life commuting long hours and spending more than 33% of my combined income to rent (too poor to own). People were generally aloof and not especially friendly. I was stressed beyond belief. The pace of life and the populace was incompatible for me. When I moved to Duluth, I could breathe again. My stress levels disappeared and I was authentically happy. My family is just...happy and healthy. I don't stress about the stupid stuff any more. As a family, we get to do the stuff we want and live a robust life. I think my wonderful state has fostered an environment that has made that possible

So in conclusion, I am not surprised that Minnesota ranks high because those rankings reflect its generally ignored success.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:10 AM

13 posts, read 22,150 times
The biggest problem in Minnesota are passive-aggreesive people. Education options are top-notch, but be prepared for a couple of funny experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon2Min View Post
I found an interesting article: https://www.minnpost.com/politics-po...among-best-get

I've always consistently heard about how Minnesota is always ranked highly in quality of life, best place to raise a family, best drivers, best doctors and health care, etc..

Now, my question to you, is, do you agree? Do you think Minnesota is a great place to live? Do you agree that all these rankings are accurate? Tell me your opinions..

Old 10-28-2017, 02:42 PM

3,793 posts, read 5,339,906 times
I think that people who have spent their entire life in one place have a harder time judging that place in relation to other locations. Having said that, I would say that Minnesota has a pretty good "quality of life" relative to South Dakota, Montana, Alaska, Oregon, China, Malaysia, and Stinkapore.

But I could be wrong.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:56 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,560,336 times
I grew up and lived in the twin cities area until U of MN graduation at 24 then I moved. I've been back exactly one time, the year after I left which was 26 years ago. I knew a few really great people but for the most part on average the people sucked. Extremely cliquish and cold. I have family who love it there and will never leave, but the taxes they tell me they pay are absolutely outrageous compared to anywhere I've ever lived. And the winters suck, at least they did back in the 70s and 80s. So do the Vikings, the most aggravating team to follow in NFL history I'm pretty sure.
Aside from that it's a great place to live, except for the mosquitos.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:10 AM

3,793 posts, read 5,339,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I grew up and lived in the twin cities area until U of MN graduation at 24 then I moved. I've been back exactly one time, the year after I left which was 26 years ago. I knew a few really great people but for the most part on average the people sucked. Extremely cliquish and cold. I have family who love it there and will never leave, but the taxes they tell me they pay are absolutely outrageous compared to anywhere I've ever lived. And the winters suck, at least they did back in the 70s and 80s. So do the Vikings, the most aggravating team to follow in NFL history I'm pretty sure.
Aside from that it's a great place to live, except for the mosquitos.
So you're judging a place you haven't been to in 26 years? Hahahahahaha. City-Data gets all types.

But you're right about the Vikings.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:48 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,560,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
So you're judging a place you haven't been to in 26 years? Hahahahahaha. City-Data gets all types.

But you're right about the Vikings.
I don't have to go back to confirm that MN sucks, but if it makes you feel better thinkiing I don't have any basis from which to form an opinion then - feel better.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:02 AM

1,198 posts, read 663,867 times
I was born and raised in Columbus Ohio and lived there until I was 21. I moved to Minnesota then in 1993 and have lived here since then. My experience is limited based on only living in two states (though have visited about nine states and parts of Canada). I feel that Minnesota is much cleaner environmentally speaking than Ohio. The roads are cleaner, farms are cleaner, air quality is better. It is more spacious and less crowded than Ohio. Summers are less humid, and Minnesotans are more experienced and equipped for dealing with winter weather. Driving is better and less hectic. It seems the further east you go, the faster and more crazy driving is. Though I hate big city driving, I'd still take Minneapolis over Columbus any day lol.

I do miss the greater variety of ballet/performing arts in Ohio than seems to be available in Minnesota, as a ballet/dance fan. But there are still some great companies and schools here. I also felt like there was more cultural diversity in Ohio, but keep in mind I came from a big city and moved to several small cities in Minnesota.

Jobs can be hard to find here, but I suspect it is that way in many places, and I can't compare to Ohio because times are different now than they were twenty years ago. I think the quality of life here is decent. there are not too many weather extremes as far as hurricanes, tornadoes, floods etc though some of these happen here. Crime is less in the greater Minnesota area than in a lot of states, and Minnesota seems to rank as one of the safer states to live as far as that goes.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:51 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,487,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
I was born and raised in Columbus Ohio and lived there until I was 21. I moved to Minnesota then in 1993 and have lived here since then. My experience is limited based on only living in two states (though have visited about nine states and parts of Canada). I feel that Minnesota is much cleaner environmentally speaking than Ohio. The roads are cleaner, farms are cleaner, air quality is better. It is more spacious and less crowded than Ohio. Summers are less humid, and Minnesotans are more experienced and equipped for dealing with winter weather. Driving is better and less hectic. It seems the further east you go, the faster and more crazy driving is. Though I hate big city driving, I'd still take Minneapolis over Columbus any day lol.

I do miss the greater variety of ballet/performing arts in Ohio than seems to be available in Minnesota, as a ballet/dance fan. But there are still some great companies and schools here. I also felt like there was more cultural diversity in Ohio, but keep in mind I came from a big city and moved to several small cities in Minnesota.

Jobs can be hard to find here, but I suspect it is that way in many places, and I can't compare to Ohio because times are different now than they were twenty years ago. I think the quality of life here is decent. there are not too many weather extremes as far as hurricanes, tornadoes, floods etc though some of these happen here. Crime is less in the greater Minnesota area than in a lot of states, and Minnesota seems to rank as one of the safer states to live as far as that goes.
To expand on this a little, in 2016 Minnesota ranked 9th (lowest) in violent crime rate, per the FBI.
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-3

Note that violent crime tends to be concentrated in urban areas, and Minnesota has a far larger urban area primarily within its borders than any of the states ranked ahead of it - the Twin Cities is the 16th-largest metropolitan area, whereas the largest metro located in one of the eight higher-ranking states is greater Norfolk in Virginia, half the size of Mpls-St. Paul.

Another facet of Minnesota being well-run is thus illustrated. We've achieved this comparatively low crime rate with the 2nd-lowest incarceration rate, which entails obvious cost savings. You won't find a lot of grandstanding and chest-thumping "Tough on crime!" rhetoric here. But the results are undeniable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota