Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2017, 09:31 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times

Advertisements

I would like to know the rules in Minnesota to avoid paying the Minnesota income taxes when snowbirding in a no income tax state, such as Florida. I know that I would have to change my residence to Florida, plus be gone from Minnesota at least six months, plus one day. I would own homes in both states. I don't know if the Minnesota real estate taxes would increase if I was not a Minnesota resident.

I have heard that there are about 26 other 'factors' besides the requirement to be gone from Minnesota at least six months and one day. I heard if you violate the listed items, you may still be stuck paying for the Minnesota income taxes, even if you were gone from Minnesota six months plus one day, or longer.

The 'factors' are things like, where is your church membership, where is your gym membership. Maybe its possible to have a Minnesota based gym membership, and put the gym membership on vacation while you're gone, instead of canceling your Minnesota based gym membership. Other 'factors' are, where are you registered to vote, where are your cars registered, where is your auto insurance based, where is your bank located, where is your dentist and primary healthcare clinic located.

Where can I find out the snowbirding rules in Minnesota to avoid paying the Minnesota income taxes? I would like to get a complete list of requirements to avoid paying the Minnesota income taxes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 12:08 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
To make sure that you are sure that you are getting all of the correct information you need, consult a CPA (certified public accountant) who practices IN Minnesota.

I used to live part year in Iowa and part year in Minnesota, and had to pay BOTH Iowa and Minnesota state income taxes each year. The amount I paid each state was according to each state's definition of "part year resident". This will be true even if your only income is from investments.

Here is the website for the Minnesota department of revenue, which manages income taxation issues: http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/Pages/default.aspx And here is the link for the Minnesota nonresident/part time resident income tax form, which includes instructions which may answer all of the questions you have: http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/Forms...ns/m1nr_16.pdf

From the instructions:

"What is gross income assignable toMinnesota?Income assignable to Minnesota includes
all income you received while a Minnesota
resident and income from Minnesota sources
while a nonresident such as income passed
through to you from:
•partnerships (line 19 of Schedule KPI)
•S corporations (line 19 of Schedule KS)
•estates or trusts (line 25 of Schedule KF)
Gross income is income before any deduc-
tions or expenses. Gross income does not
include military pay paid to a Minnesota
resident for services outside Minnesota."

Property taxes are defined and managed by the counties, and have nothing to do with where you actually live. An out of state resident pays the same property taxes for a property in a Minnesota county as an in-state resident pays. Contact your county clerkfor information about property taxes.

The MN Secretary of State's office has info on voter registration requirements. http://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections...ister-to-vote/

And the state does NOT look at your church or gym memberships (that's just crazy), or where your primary bank or dentist is located. At least until Trump corrupts Minnesota, too.

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 03-11-2017 at 12:34 AM..

Old 03-11-2017, 09:33 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
1) Go to a local petshop and purchase snowbird
2) Attach tax income forms to snowbird
3) Open window
4) Say goodbye to taxes!

Old 03-11-2017, 10:03 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I would like to know the rules in Minnesota to avoid paying the Minnesota income taxes when snowbirding in a no income tax state, such as Florida. I know that I would have to change my residence to Florida, plus be gone from Minnesota at least six months, plus one day. I would own homes in both states. I don't know if the Minnesota real estate taxes would increase if I was not a Minnesota resident.

I have heard that there are about 26 other 'factors' besides the requirement to be gone from Minnesota at least six months and one day. I heard if you violate the listed items, you may still be stuck paying for the Minnesota income taxes, even if you were gone from Minnesota six months plus one day, or longer.

The 'factors' are things like, where is your church membership, where is your gym membership. Maybe its possible to have a Minnesota based gym membership, and put the gym membership on vacation while you're gone, instead of canceling your Minnesota based gym membership. Other 'factors' are, where are you registered to vote, where are your cars registered, where is your auto insurance based, where is your bank located, where is your dentist and primary healthcare clinic located.

Where can I find out the snowbirding rules in Minnesota to avoid paying the Minnesota income taxes? I would like to get a complete list of requirements to avoid paying the Minnesota income taxes.
You are discussing something called state nexus. A good cpa can help you. Those factors you've mentioned do come into play as far as establishing "intent".

Ultimately, if you earn money in Minnesota, you'll pay Minnesota tax on that money. But, again, you need to review all of the facts and circumstances.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:47 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
To make sure that you are sure that you are getting all of the correct information you need, consult a CPA (certified public accountant) who practices IN Minnesota.

I used to live part year in Iowa and part year in Minnesota, and had to pay BOTH Iowa and Minnesota state income taxes each year. The amount I paid each state was according to each state's definition of "part year resident". This will be true even if your only income is from investments.

Here is the website for the Minnesota department of revenue, which manages income taxation issues: Minnesota Department of Revenue - Home And here is the link for the Minnesota nonresident/part time resident income tax form, which includes instructions which may answer all of the questions you have: http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/Forms...ns/m1nr_16.pdf

From the instructions:

"What is gross income assignable toMinnesota?Income assignable to Minnesota includes
through to you from:

Property taxes are defined and managed by the counties, and have nothing to do with where you actually live. An out of state resident pays the same property taxes for a property in a Minnesota county as an in-state resident pays. Contact your county clerkfor information about property taxes.

The MN Secretary of State's office has info on voter registration requirements. Minnesota Secretary Of State - Register To Vote

And the state does NOT look at your church or gym memberships (that's just crazy), or where your primary bank or dentist is located. At least until Trump corrupts Minnesota, too.
Page 1 of the attached lists factors which may be considered in determining your location of domicile.

Where you attend church and where you have memberships ARE among the factors listed.

As far as the 183 day rule goes any part of the day counts if you are in Minnesota. So if you live in Wisconsin but drive over to use the airport or go shopping, that day counts against the total. I would also recommend hiring a good CPA. http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/indiv...sheets_fs1.pdf

Old 03-11-2017, 06:15 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:

Here is the website for the Minnesota department of revenue, which manages income taxation issues: Minnesota Department of Revenue - Home And here is the link for the Minnesota nonresident/part time resident income tax form, which includes instructions which may answer all of the questions you have: http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/Forms...ns/m1nr_16.pdf

From the instructions:

through to you from:

The MN Secretary of State's office has info on voter registration requirements. Minnesota Secretary Of State - Register To Vote

Property taxes have........"nothing to do where you actually live "..

It sure does when claiming the Homestead exemption !

Old 03-12-2017, 03:38 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Nope.

I owned homes in 3 states at one time, and still got the Minnesota homestead exemption.

Nyah.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:23 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Nope.

I owned homes in 3 states at one time, and still got the Minnesota homestead exemption.

Nyah.
?????????????

You sure wouldn't if you were listing one of those other states as your primary residence.
It sounds like the OP wants to list Florida as his primary residence in order to avoid paying income taxes.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:25 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Nope.

Nyah.
And that established your Minnesota residency because you had to certify that that was your primary residence. If you were attempting to claim that you were the resident of another state, MN Revenue would use that homestead application to argue that you were a MN resident. Homestead | Hennepin County

Old 03-15-2017, 10:04 AM

412 posts, read 385,674 times
Makes me smile to see people asking legal advice on a discussion forum. Luckily, most responders just say "visit a professional". You can get EXACTLY what you need for tax-dodging from professionals. I doubt anyone brings a truly original question, but they need to keep up on legal minutiae to continue in their profession, so they probably won't miss what self-appointed experts say online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota