Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 07:52 PM

26 posts, read 51,231 times

Advertisements

Do you need an air conditioner in the summer time in Minnesota?

If I live in an apartment complex in MN and there is no basement, what do I do if one, there is a tornado watch? two there is a tornado warning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 11:46 PM

7,048 posts, read 4,937,208 times
Air conditioning in Minnesota: YES, YES, YES!

If there's a tornado watch, first of all, make sure of what area it's for. If it could possibly involve your area, I'd just stay tuned to the TV or radio for further information.

In the case of a tornado warning, you might want to get to the lowest floor as close as possible to the center of the building. If you don't have time to do that, try to get to an inner room of your apartment and/or in the bathtub, maybe with a mattress over you. Make sure to stay away from any windows and if you have time, draw the drapes or blinds.

A tornado warning is serious, it means a tornado had been spotted and is moving into your area. At that point, time is of the essence, so you need to figure out ahead of time what you are going to do.

You might want to make sure you have an emergency supply of some kind, first aid kit, flashlights with fresh batteries, some food and water put aside, maybe in an inside closet somewhere, stuff like that.

Personally, I'd think you'd be safer in an apartment complex than in a house where the roof could get ripped off, unless you're on the top floor.

Tornadoes can be scary and dangerous, but to put things into perspective, my aunt has lived in the same house since the early 60s, and she's lived in Minnesota all her life. She has yet to be hit with a tornado.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:50 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,746,602 times
Tornadoes generally impact a very small area and your chances of even seeing one are extremely small. Take tornado warnings seriously but don't be too concerned about this. And you will need air conditioning about 10 days a year but on those days you'll be really glad you have it.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:13 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,618,759 times
I have lived in Northern Minnesota my entire life and have never seen a tornado. They have however struck in the twin cities on occasion. A number of years ago one such event was captured on tv by a KARE 11 news helicopter which was quite remarkable. It was flying right next to the tornado.
We have never had a air conditioner. Although at times they may be nice but the few days they are needed we do not think it is worth having one. Have never needed one.
Tornadoes do hit in Minnesota the Twin Cities get them occasionally however in Northern Minnesota there are many occasions when strong winds hit and cause a lot of damage, most notably the summer July 4, 1999, was a major event. More can be read on this event in a book called Our Wounded Wilderness, The Great Boundry Waters Canoe Area Wilderness Storm,
this book is full of different story by survivors of the storm and the story that they tell. Jim Cordes.
Just last summer the area we live in was hit by a huge windstorm that left many with out power for many weeks and there were many days and weeks of chainsaw work and clean up.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:39 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,639,130 times
It completely depends on where you live in Minnesota. Don't use the word "Minnesota" to refer only to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

I lived in both NE MN and SE MN for a total of 11 years and never ever had an air conditioner. Didn't need one. In NE MN it doesn't get hot enough, and SE MN is so forested that people just don't suffer from the heat that comes from the sun beating down on miles of pavement in urban areas.

And, almost all, if not all, houses in Northern MN have basements. Just go down to the basement for safety if there is a tornado warning. But you're highly unlikely to be affected by tornadic weather in most parts of MN. My house in southeast MN had a basement, too.

You can also "just go down to the basement" to cool off on those very few hot days you'll experience.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:25 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,165,104 times
Willis Carrier was a Communist, don't be no stinkin' Communist

Wizard of Oz is based on a true story, don't let a house fall on you

Old 01-02-2017, 01:54 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,855,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering53 View Post
Do you need an air conditioner in the summer time in Minnesota?
Need? No. But you'll be much happier with one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering53 View Post
If I live in an apartment complex in MN and there is no basement, what do I do if one, there is a tornado watch? two there is a tornado warning?
Bear in mind that since 1980 - a span of 37 years - there have only been 20 tornado fatalities in Minnesota. In other words, you'll be fine.

Unless it's an F-5. They're very rare in Minnesota. But if one comes your way, you're ****ed.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:38 PM

258 posts, read 235,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
It completely depends on where you live in Minnesota. Don't use the word "Minnesota" to refer only to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

I lived in both NE MN and SE MN for a total of 11 years and never ever had an air conditioner. Didn't need one. In NE MN it doesn't get hot enough, and SE MN is so forested that people just don't suffer from the heat that comes from the sun beating down on miles of pavement in urban areas.

And, almost all, if not all, houses in Northern MN have basements. Just go down to the basement for safety if there is a tornado warning. But you're highly unlikely to be affected by tornadic weather in most parts of MN. My house in southeast MN had a basement, too.

You can also "just go down to the basement" to cool off on those very few hot days you'll experience.
NOT SO!!! Minnesota is very humid so A/C will also be nice July-September when it is the most humid. And it gets hot more than a few days a year. Maybe in northern MN, but not the rest of the state.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:53 PM

167 posts, read 190,949 times
how humid is minnesota? like mississippi gulf coast with 80+ dew point humid?

Old 08-26-2017, 01:49 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,509,222 times
I just moved to Minnesota in August and my house doesn't have A.C. No central and no window unit. This month has been really rainy and cooler than usual. I came from Texas so, 90 degrees and folks up here talk about how hot it is but for me it's nothing. You can do without A.C. but I recommend a fan. The other night it wasn't really hot but very muggy the low was high 60s and I needed the fan to sleep. Honestly if you aren't too heat sensitive, you'll do fine without A.C. It's not like the South where you pretty much need it. A few fans will do fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota