Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 12:02 PM

906 posts, read 1,765,936 times

Advertisements

First off all, de-icing chemicals including salt applications will the primary method to keeping our roads drivable regardless of what the law states about the types of snow/ice tires that are allowable. Even if you legalize certain types of winter tires, only a subset of individuals will choose to buy them and use them in winter (primarily due to the added expense).

OP, do you even drive with standard snow/ice tires? Modern non-studded winter tires are quite excellent in snow and ice conditions. I have Pirelli Scorpion winter tires and even on their fourth season of use they have performed astonishingly well.

I see no reason to legalize studded tires that will just make our roads even worse. If certain rural counties wanted to legalize them with state approval, that would be fine with me. But they should not be allowed in metropolitan areas with heavier traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 02:17 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
If it's Icy Bad, stay home. Enough info is available to you to make an educated decision if driving is safe or not. Studded tires do chew up the roads, our taxes are bad enough but would skyrocket if we had to accelerate road surface replacement projects.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:27 AM

534 posts, read 1,169,946 times
When we first moved to AK we were told we would "need" studded tires, so we got them on my wife's vehicle.

They were not the be-all, end-all solution for safe winter driving that many people seem to assume they are. They were also pricey and were an expense that many people didn't/couldn't bother with, so they were certainly not "needed," as we were informed. And as mentioned by others, they really tore up the roads.

I didn't see all that much difference between driving the car with studs and the one without - other than the slight noise of driving the one with studs and the fact that with the studs on, you could probably get away with being less careful - don't have to worry as much about maintaining longer braking distances, don't worry as much about keeping to a moderate speed, etc.

I know studded tires have a purpose. I think they can be very useful in hilly or mountainous areas or on emergency vehicles. But I think too many people have a tendency to see them as a substitute for safe winter driving practices.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:10 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Studded tires do give an advantage on ice.

I do agree that studded tires used to replace safer driving years back.

(case in point )

In the mid 60's I was driving to work in St Cloud on deserted roads about 2:30AM.
I noticed about 10 miles from home a very slight sway to the car now and then . ( like a low rear tire) When I got to St Joe , I pulled under a street light to check if my low rear tire was safe to continue to St Cloud.

As I opened the car door and stepped out, I fell flat on my back from glare ice on the highway. My tires were fine......no low tires.
Yet, I had been driving way faster than I should have and the only hint of an icy road was a slight sway now and then.

Amazing how much studs helped on ice, but not worth the damage to the roads.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:47 PM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
The Zamboni (all Zamboni's) I drove around had studs, tons of grip on ice. Up in Anchorage our roommate had a 2 wheel drive Ranger and couldn't get up the last hill to get home, had to park 200 ft away. Bought studded tires and made it up no problem after that. Winter tires would have worked just as well, and not destroyed the roads.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:06 PM

15 posts, read 41,124 times
I DO understand that they DO cause damage to roads. What is the actual cost? What is the cost from salt damage? How much is your life worth? Your children's lives? There are MANY instances where road maintenance is NOT sufficient to make the roads safe and people have died. With studded tires, the state could use LESS salt or alternatively, less corrosive chemicals and create safer roads.
Maybe it would make more sense in Northern MN, say if you live north of the southern tip of Lake Superior

Old 01-01-2017, 06:49 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
Studded tires are inappropriate for someplace like Minnesota. Sure, if you live up north and drive iced forest roads all winter it may make sense. But not where they scrape down to pavement. In Alaska we use them but roads are typically cleared of snow but left with a layer of ice that protects the roads.

Modern winter tires work every bit as well as studded tires on the mixed conditions like those in the cities. You need 4 winter tires, not 2. My Subaru with winter tires drives on ice like a car with all seasons does on dry pavement.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:48 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoncoon View Post
I DO understand that they DO cause damage to roads. What is the actual cost? What is the cost from salt damage? How much is your life worth? Your children's lives? There are MANY instances where road maintenance is NOT sufficient to make the roads safe and people have died. With studded tires, the state could use LESS salt or alternatively, less corrosive chemicals and create safer roads.
Maybe it would make more sense in Northern MN, say if you live north of the southern tip of Lake Superior
seriously, what do you have like the exclusive ACME Tire Stud franchise in Two Harbors or something?

Old 01-03-2017, 05:10 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoncoon View Post
Oh, spare us the melodramatics...

The exact same thing is true of studded tires. Or speed limits.

"55 mph, eh? How much is your life worth? Your children's lives? There are MANY instances where 55 mph is NOT sufficiently slow to make person safe and people have died."

So let's lower it to 50 mph. Then we can make the same argument there, and lower it to 45 mph. And then...

That's the rabbit hole down which your proffered 'logic' leads.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:04 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
The Zamboni (all Zamboni's) I drove around had studs, tons of grip on ice.
This guy seems to have figured out a solution.
Alberta man driving a Zamboni through Tim Hortons drive-thru is peak Canadiana - Autoblog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota