Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 04:29 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times

Advertisements

I have at least 15 houses that are all semi newish around Big Lake, Becker, Princeton and etc...even a few in St Cloud, there is one or two, but yes, most of the listings I have saved, are great houses, large, semi newish, and on acreage, all under 250k.......one even has 9 acres....great inventory up around there....for my price range. And the twin cities is a hop skip and a jump away.......try finding the same type of nice housing inventory 30 or 40 or more, miles outside of Seattle....impossible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 04:31 PM

I looked at Tucson, heard they have a great VA, and looked at Sierra Vista as well....my concern there, is illegal immigration issues and the crime and extreme heat.....and I am not a desert fan....and I have also read that Tucson has a good number of some very rough pockets.....

Old 09-26-2014, 04:34 PM

there are way more better looking, nicer, newer homes on acreage, east of St Cloud, then anywhere in the state of AZ...Prescott has gotten terribly expensive as well....which was one area I was looking at for a bit....if FL was the way FL was 20 years ago, I would have considered it, but FL is not sounding very safe and nice these days, plus homeowners insurance is over 2k at least....surprisingly homeowners insurance is not that cheap in MN as well too, though...I have discovered...but not near as bad as FL.....Boise, Colorado Springs, Reno, home prices have all gone up very high, as well, in recent years.....the only places affordable for me are the southern states, and parts of the Midwest....

Old 10-01-2014, 08:23 PM

anyone from St Cloud or the outskirts?? Seems like a nice part of MN.....please chime in....thanks

Old 01-07-2015, 10:22 AM

11 posts, read 12,612 times
My fiance and I moved here in April 2014. It has definitely been a tough transition and still is. When he and I walk around the lakes in Minneapolis or drive around the North Shore, we absolutely fall in love with the place. Unfortunately whenever we have to deal with people here, we immediately hate it again. The people here are a tough pill to swallow when you're used to being very social.

My own experience with trying to meet people here has been frustrating to say the least. People seem friendly at first, but they turn out not to be very warm or welcoming. Trying to maneuver an already established social circle (be it at work or outside work) is extremely tough and can feel very deflating.

Getting a job here is also a bit trying. It seems like there is a lot of nepotism within companies and hiring an outsider is regarded suspiciously.

Minnesota driving habits is also a challenge. No one knows how to merge onto a freeway or turn left onto your lane at the right speed. You also get very a**hole-ish maneuvers from drivers that just boggle your mind.

If you leave the metropolitan areas, the cities are less ethnically diverse and there is a prevailing sense of racism that also makes me nervous.

However, the winter is not as bad as everyone told me it would be. It is freezing cold, but I find the snow to be beautiful!

With our experiences here at 50/50 good & bad, we'll probably move once our apartment lease is up.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:30 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapheadphones View Post
My fiance and I moved here in April 2014. It has definitely been a tough transition and still is. When he and I walk around the lakes in Minneapolis or drive around the North Shore, we absolutely fall in love with the place. Unfortunately whenever we have to deal with people here, we immediately hate it again. The people here are a tough pill to swallow when you're used to being very social.

My own experience with trying to meet people here has been frustrating to say the least. People seem friendly at first, but they turn out not to be very warm or welcoming. Trying to maneuver an already established social circle (be it at work or outside work) is extremely tough and can feel very deflating.

Getting a job here is also a bit trying. It seems like there is a lot of nepotism within companies and hiring an outsider is regarded suspiciously.

Minnesota driving habits is also a challenge. No one knows how to merge onto a freeway or turn left onto your lane at the right speed. You also get very a**hole-ish maneuvers from drivers that just boggle your mind.

If you leave the metropolitan areas, the cities are less ethnically diverse and there is a prevailing sense of racism that also makes me nervous.

However, the winter is not as bad as everyone told me it would be. It is freezing cold, but I find the snow to be beautiful!

With our experiences here at 50/50 good & bad, we'll probably move once our apartment lease is up.

Huh?
You must be from the North Pole or something
You posted today and with wind chill it is 35 below.

I am sorry you are not fitting in.
Hopefully it will get better.

Go to
Find your people - Meetup
and look at things going on to find peple with to do the same things you and your fiance like doing.

I cant disagree with you about the driving here

Old 01-09-2015, 03:21 AM

15 posts, read 21,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
I have read some pretty tough things about MN, from never ending, brutally cold winters, to mosquito infested short summers, to people who are generally not overtly friendly, and extremely standoffish and aloof. I driven thru the state a few times over the years, and thought it looked clean and nice. I know nothing about the state though, as far as living there, which I am considering. Can any transplants chime in and give me their opinions on their new lives as transplants to the state of MN? Much appreciated.
All you need to know:

The Outsiders: Is Minnesota Nice to Newcomers? | Minnesota Public Radio News

Old 01-09-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Huh?
You must be from the North Pole or something
You posted today and with wind chill it is 35 below.

I am sorry you are not fitting in.
Hopefully it will get better.

Go to
Find your people - Meetup
and look at things going on to find peple with to do the same things you and your fiance like doing.

I cant disagree with you about the driving here
Haha! I just meant that never having grown up around snow or even really experiencing it leaves me noticing the dazzle more than the freeze!

I'll check out the meetups. Thanks so much.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whovian1977 View Post
Thanks for that link! I'll read through it today at work while being ignored by my coworkers ;p (hehe)

Old 01-09-2015, 06:32 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
It sounds like you are in the metro area. Keep in mind that in Minneapolis, only half of the population is native Minnesotan -- so even if you don't like people, half of them, like you, moved here from elsewhere, and so it's a little unfair for people to blame everything on "Minnesotans," or at least not on native Minnesotans (as everyone who lives here now is by definition now a Minnesotan, whether they like it or not!). Although it's true that it's less transient than the big cities -- which may make it more difficult because you don't have as many brand-new people arriving all the time, but on the other hand, once you've been here awhile you also may appreciate that the flip side is that your friends won't always be moving out of town (which was our experience other places we've lived; when you have lots of people coming, you also tend to have lots of people going.) Sounds like you have a difficult work environment; maybe a different job would help? Although it does feel like people socialize outside of work less, as a general rule, with coworkers than they do some places. Also remember that there's almost always a learning curve when you move to a new place, so don't give up yet. I think sometimes there is just a tendency to hibernate when it gets this cold, so things may feel very different in the spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota