Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support same-sex marriage in Minnesota?
Yes 115 63.89%
No 65 36.11%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:29 AM

120 posts, read 265,242 times

Advertisements

I just want to thank those of you, gay and straight, who cared enough about this issue to vote against it. I'm in Fort Frances (Ontario) but having International Falls literally in sight from my backyard across the river, we were involved in this discussion as well.

What bugs me about this...a majority population voting on 'what are we going to do with these pests' - that's the feeling I got. A majority gets to decide rights for a minority group. We had plenty of this rhetoric back when Native children were taken from their families, placed in boarding schools to 'de-Indian' them, only to wind up horribly abused, sexually, emotionally and physically. They are a community who has been forever scarred from those years. I had hoped enough people would have looked back at how these two situations parallel each other (both have to do with religion, both are implied to be 'less than' or 'other' in terms of their worth or goodness or whether they deserve God's love no matter what). I'm glad Minnesota for the most part made the right choice, but it leaves me unsettled that this was an issue to vote on. Minority groups and recent immigrants better sit up and take notice, because if you think this could never happen to you, just wait. People are extremely angry and are looking for a scapegoat.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:04 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto416 View Post
I just want to thank those of you, gay and straight, who cared enough about this issue to vote against it. I'm in Fort Frances (Ontario) but having International Falls literally in sight from my backyard across the river, we were involved in this discussion as well.

What bugs me about this...a majority population voting on 'what are we going to do with these pests' - that's the feeling I got. A majority gets to decide rights for a minority group. We had plenty of this rhetoric back when Native children were taken from their families, placed in boarding schools to 'de-Indian' them, only to wind up horribly abused, sexually, emotionally and physically. They are a community who has been forever scarred from those years. I had hoped enough people would have looked back at how these two situations parallel each other (both have to do with religion, both are implied to be 'less than' or 'other' in terms of their worth or goodness or whether they deserve God's love no matter what). I'm glad Minnesota for the most part made the right choice, but it leaves me unsettled that this was an issue to vote on. Minority groups and recent immigrants better sit up and take notice, because if you think this could never happen to you, just wait. People are extremely angry and are looking for a scapegoat.
thank you, feel free to let us know what else we can improve on

Old 11-07-2012, 09:50 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto416 View Post

I also want to thank those that voted against this issue. I agree with you. I don't feel people should be voting on others and thier rights. Especially where it is continuous in this country. This kind of behaviour goes from one group to another. Sadly it has been gays for quite some time now. Basically scapegoats for some really angry and rather ignorant poeple. Living in a country that is allowed to oppress people, and the damage this does to a persons comfort level. (There are really some choice words for it) Yet has no problem collecting the massive amount of taxes, that many gay people pay in this country. Its disgusting.

Voting on someone running for office is one think. Voting on how others get to live their life is wrong, and thats an understatement. From what I have seen of some of the population that votes on this issue. I don't feel some of them have the intelligence to vote period. Let alone vote on how two people get to live thier life. I think its a disgrace in this country this type of voting is allowed. Lets see how some of these holier than thous, would like to be voted on concerning their life. Lets see how long that would last. If one didn't learn from all the fools that stood at Chick Fil A this summer. How so much of this country thinks, then they must be living in a tree.

I said it before with the massive amount of problems this country has and for a long time. It irritates me that so many in this country spend thier time, searching for ways to put down groups of people. Gay people in this case. Which this group seems to be tops in this country, for being used to avoid the real issues in this country. It just infuriates me with young people dying on battle fields year after. year. Education for so many is completely out of reach.. Medical care forget it for so many Americans. Yet these anti gay people will stick their rear end out in public, to collect signatures for ballot initiates to put gay people down. Half the times these people are not even from the state, where the initiatve is to placed on a ballot. I remember when these anti gay groups came into Massachusetts from Geogia, to colect signatures for a antigay intitiave in Mass. It didn't work and they went whining back to Ga. Let them stay there with the rest of thier Chick Fil A weirdos.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I also want to thank those that voted against this issue. I agree with you. I don't feel people should be voting on others and thier rights. Especially where it is continuous in this country. This kind of behaviour goes from one group to another. Sadly it has been gays for quite some time now. Basically scapegoats for some really angry and rather ignorant poeple. Living in a country that is allowed to oppress people, and the damage this does to a persons comfort level. (There are really some choice words for it) Yet has no problem collecting the massive amount of taxes, that many gay people pay in this country. Its disgusting.

Voting on someone running for office is one think. Voting on how others get to live their life is wrong, and thats an understatement. From what I have seen of some of the population that votes on this issue. I don't feel some of them have the intelligence to vote period. Let alone vote on how two people get to live thier life. I think its a disgrace in this country this type of voting is allowed. Lets see how some of these holier than thous, would like to be voted on concerning their life. Lets see how long that would last. If one didn't learn from all the fools that stood at Chick Fil A this summer. How so much of this country thinks, then they must be living in a tree.

I said it before with the massive amount of problems this country has and for a long time. It irritates me that so many in this country spend thier time, searching for ways to put down groups of people. Gay people in this case. Which this group seems to be tops in this country, for being used to avoid the real issues in this country. It just infuriates me with young people dying on battle fields year after. year. Education for so many is completely out of reach.. Medical care forget it for so many Americans. Yet these anti gay people will stick their rear end out in public, to collect signatures for ballot initiates to put gay people down. Half the times these people are not even from the state, where the initiatve is to placed on a ballot. I remember when these anti gay groups came into Massachusetts from Geogia, to colect signatures for a antigay intitiave in Mass. It didn't work and they went whining back to Ga. Let them stay there with the rest of thier Chick Fil A weirdos.
Thanks for keeping it classy! At least you don't pretend to subscribe to any talk about a new civility in discourse.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times

Last edited by Globe199; 11-07-2012 at 10:34 AM..

Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Amendment loser says what?
To answer your question, what I said earlier was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
As someone who voted yes, I want to say that I agree with you. [In response to a post saying that it was a good thing that the issue was not decided by blank ballots.] We now have a clear picture of what the majority of Minnesota voters wanted on this issue, and that's a good thing.
But I understand the spirit and nature of your comment as it is exactly what I would have expected from you.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:34 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
You really want to talk about classy? Really? Let's talk about the classless, clueless, cynical politicians who got this thing on the ballot. It blew up in their homophobic faces; I couldn't be more satisfied to see it happen. The DFL will now control the entire state government, and god-willing, will legalize gay marriage.

The battle is over. Hate lost.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post

Well I voted Yes even though I don't believe "I am holier than thou" and carry this attitude. I do believe that this is one of the most disgusting attitude anyone can have. I consider myself a devout Christian, but I don't go around casting stones at people or wasting my time sending out hate message (although I don't have any). These kind of people are looking for ways to justify their behavior and think it's okay to hate on gays because it's against the Bible.

Ok, well life goes on. I'm not upset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota