Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 11:36 AM

16 posts, read 43,293 times

Advertisements

I have a question. Upon applying for a job via online. Should you or should you not contact HR to show interest for the job?

My father says definately, it shows interest, but other places I read say it can seem pushy.

Schel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 05:49 PM

No one has an opinion on this?

Old 04-11-2012, 07:42 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
It might help in situations where you happen to catch them on a day that they are just trying to fill a body for a non-skill job. Beyond that I am convinced that contacting HR doesn't do anything to help your chances, especially when we're talking about skilled positions. They still won't even look at applications/resumes if they aren't filling a position and it won't change their opinion on whether or not they think you're qualified for the position based on the information contained on your application/resume.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:46 AM

This is an open position, posting closes on 4/13/2012.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:01 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Unless they specifically say no phone calls, I would give them a call next week if you haven't heard anything from them. If the position closes on the 13th, I would give them a week to organize and then call them or email them around Thursday next week to see if they received your resume and if they have a timeline for interviews.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:44 AM

989 posts, read 2,962,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schel View Post
No one has an opinion on this?
I think it is a case where it depends on various things. First and foremost HR in company A is not necessarily going to operate like HR at company B. For that reason, you should gather as much info as possible about the company before making a decision. This is an area where head hunters have a big advantage as they often know how many companies operate and have some relationships built. It also matters on skill level and how likely it is that 100s of applications will be submitted. If this is a highly skilled position and you are well qualified, I would call about 3-5 days after submitting your resume. You could also do that for lower positions, but I would guess there is a lot less interest in having a lot of overhead taking calls on the HR side. If it seems difficult to find contact info, that is also a good clue.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:52 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
I'd like to hear feedback from an HR Dept. that prefers a call from the applicant after a resume has been posted for a position. Every company I have worked for either purposely doesn't provide any contact number to its recruiting dept. in order to avoid receiving calls or is extremely annoyed when calls are repeatedly placed. They can see everyone's info for who has posted and knows who is qualified for the position and will schedule interviews accordingly....why would they care if the person calls or not?

Old 04-14-2012, 07:15 AM

Reason I am asking this is my father applied for a position that had 60 applicants for 1 positon. He went down to the place, introduced himself, explained he is applying for the job, met everyone there working, and also contacted employer to show interest that he really wanted the job.

After he was hired, his employer told him the reason they choose him, is his qualifications and that he actually took interest in the position and meeting his potential future co-workers of the job.

He is really encouraging my hubby to do the same with the Maintenance Custodian job he applied for. This position is at a middle school. I am encouraging him to go down to the office, introduce himself and meet the princepal if possible and let them know he is applying for the position and really wants the job.

So maybe base your answers on this senerio above. We also live in a small town, so things are not big city and things are on a more personal level where you know a lot of who lives in your town.

Thanks.
Schel

Old 04-14-2012, 07:29 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
Is the job in a 'small' town or a big school system? While it might be good to meet the princpal at the middle school. If its a bigger school system, Maintenance Custodian are more likely to be hired by the director/manager of school maintenance, on a system wide basis, and he would be 'assigned' to that school with the princpal having little/no say in the matter.

If he can can he talk to some other Maintenance Custodian currently in the school system to find out how it works there? Who makes the hire decision..

Old 04-14-2012, 03:51 PM

Not the princepal. It is the facilities supervisor. Big Lake population is about 12,000. Schools have 2 elementry, 1 middle and 1 high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota