Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 10:12 PM

455 posts, read 637,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
"Minneapolis and the Twin Cities may be majority white..."
What im saying is that there is a pretty sizable african american community here, it may not be big but they are here and its not rare to see a black person around here (which a lot of outsiders make it seem)
14% in St Paul (66% white)
26% in Brooklyn Center (50% white)
24% in Brooklyn Park (52% white)
Yeah, there is a decent-sized black population in the city of Minneapolis. I don't really disagree with that. I do disagree with this, though: "It's not like you are going to be out numbered... we have a very large population of African Americans." The first part is simply not true; the second part is exaggerated. And the laughable part of your post is just all the more laughable because you are talking to a guy from NOLA, which is almost as black as Minneapolis is white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Well, those percentages are close to the national average (12.6% black, 72.4% white), so perhaps Minneapolis is simply more representative of the US as a whole than NOLA.

I live in Atlanta now. It's a very different mix down here, but I wouldn't classify the Twin Cities as vanilla. Tokyo might be, but not Minneapolis.
Well, NOLA is definitely not racially representative of the US. That's for sure. But the Twin Cities metro is pretty vanilla--I'm just telling it like it is. Only 6.4% of the metro population is black; 84.3% is white. In contrast, the New Orleans metro area is 37.2% black and 57.7% white. (Atlanta metro is 32.4% black and 55.4% white, FWIW. In fairness, though, Atlanta and NOLA have pretty high black populations by anybody's standards, so this comparison might make the Twin Cities look a little more vanilla than it would look in comparison to some other large American cities.)

Last edited by southernsmoke; 03-22-2012 at 10:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 10:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
My fault i meant "You're not gonna be highly outnumbered." Your gonna be out numbered but you're not gonna be alone... sorry bad wording on my part.

Yes we are vanilla especially to Southern cities; however we still have a sizable Asian and Latino population which is a plus if you like diversity

Old 03-23-2012, 04:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
I feel like this is a flame--for a number of reasons, not least of which is the mention of "public college price" when OP has supposedly been offered a basketball scholarship.

But if OP is serious...

LOL. Minnesotans are funny when they don't realize how vanilla Minnesota is. Minneapolis is 17% black (70% white); NOLA is 60% black.
Most college athletes are not on full scholarships. It's very possible he was offered a partial scholarship.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Most college athletes are not on full scholarships. It's very possible he was offered a partial scholarship.
Actually, no. It's not possible to be offered a partial scholarship for basketball.

It is still true that many--probably most--college athletes are not on full scholarships, but it is not true that most D-1 basketball players are not on full scholarships. The only D-1 basketball players that aren't are the few walk-ons, and technically the players in the Ivy League because the Ivies technically don't give "athletic" aid. (I qualified that statement about the Ivies pretty heavily because while they don't give athletic aid, they are known for nonetheless finding ways to help make school affordable for their student-athletes--wink, wink.)

Last edited by southernsmoke; 03-23-2012 at 09:14 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 10:41 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
Actually, no. It's not possible to be offered a partial scholarship for basketball.

It is still true that many--probably most--college athletes are not on full scholarships, but it is not true that most D-1 basketball players are not on full scholarships. The only D-1 basketball players that aren't are the few walk-ons, and technically the players in the Ivy League because the Ivies technically don't give "athletic" aid. (I qualified that statement about the Ivies pretty heavily because while they don't give athletic aid, they are known for nonetheless finding ways to help make school affordable for their student-athletes--wink, wink.)
Yes, actually it is, there are only 13 scholarships for a roster of 15 so some of those scholarships may be split. Also, I think the comment by the OP was just a commentary on the cost of the U of MN vs Harvard. If he gets hurt, there goes his money so it's wise to look at costs of a school as well.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Yes, actually it is, there are only 13 scholarships for a roster of 15 so some of those scholarships may be split. Also, I think the comment by the OP was just a commentary on the cost of the U of MN vs Harvard. If he gets hurt, there goes his money so it's wise to look at costs of a school as well.
Again, no. It is true that he could lose his scholarship or choose to stop playing basketball, etc. (although with respect to your stated hypothetical, many schools will keep him on scholarship if he has a career-ending injury). But I repeat, the NCAA does not allow for splitting scholarship money among different players in basketball (in Division I). In most sports, you would be right, but that is not the case for basketball. If you don't believe me, take a gander at this: Athletic Scholarships | College Recruiting Blog - Athletic Scholarships Blog | NCSA.

Last edited by southernsmoke; 03-23-2012 at 12:15 PM..

Old 03-23-2012, 05:57 PM

95 posts, read 281,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Well, those percentages are close to the national average (12.6% black, 72.4% white), so perhaps Minneapolis is simply more representative of the US as a whole than NOLA.

I live in Atlanta now. It's a very different mix down here, but I wouldn't classify the Twin Cities as vanilla. Tokyo might be, but not Minneapolis.
It seems Minneapolis does respresent the U.S. as a whole.

My hometown New Orleans is overwhelming black at approx. 70%.

I believe Atlanta, also known as "Black Hollywood" is also 70% in the city proper but it's very mixed in terms of metro area population outside the city proper. I have family living in Atlanta and I love the city!

Old 03-23-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Golfgal was absolutely right! I have been offered partial scholarships.

There have been wrong perspectives about scholarships because basketball and football are different in their scholarship offerings.

That's why I have to consider the tuition and there is always a chance of getting injured that can halt my scholarship.

Again, UMinn appeals to me because it's considered a Public Ivy education at public cost.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
I'd also add that if you enjoy the music and arts scene down there, you will find a similar vibe up in Minneapolis. It's not the same thing, but the arts make up a HUGE part of life in the Twin Cities. It's everywhere. And like another poster said, even though whites are the majority, it is a huge civic-minded, well educated, well traveled population that is very accepting of all sorts of people.

Like most northern cities, there isn't a huge upper or middle class black population, however. So based on what you have said about yourself, you may very well find that most of your social circle will be made up of whites or Asians.
I like the demographics of Minneapolis and I think I will be fine as a college student with my personality. Most of my friends are either white or Asian anyway. LOL

Old 03-23-2012, 09:31 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleanianLA1 View Post
I like the demographics of Minneapolis and I think I will be fine as a college student with my personality. Most of my friends are either white or Asian anyway. LOL
Yes, you will be accepted.

"Large" is relative when it comes to % black (or really anything) of a city / metro area's population. Compared to up in Duluth, blacks are everywhere in the (Twin) Cities; but compared to Atlanta or New Orleans, blacks would be rare. Also, you have to consider that for blacks (African-Americans) who prefer to make friendships within their own race, they have to be born here. African-Americans and Somalis, for example, generally do not mix. Of course, NewOrleanianLA1 does not seem to be that type, as he says that most of his friends are white or Asian. He will do fine in Minnesota, particularly Minneapolis or St. Paul where seeing a person with any color of skin is nothing out of the ordinary.

What I think a more pressing concern for him would be is the weather. Is he going to be able to tolerate Minnesota winters being from New Orleans? Many people don't take well to the weather here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota