Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:33 PM

8 posts, read 18,623 times

Advertisements

Hi all
My husband had got a job offer in MN. The expected salary is $100K/year.
We are a family of three: me, my hubby and our 20 months old. I am not able to decide about our move from India. I am working here in India. My background is science( physics masters). I would like to ask a few questions to decide on our move:
1. Will we be able to maintain a decent lifestyle with $100K/year?
2. Can I find a job there? if yes what kind of?

I will appreciate your help.

Thanks
Shadip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 11:32 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadip View Post
Hi all
We are a family of three: me, my hubby and our 20 months old. I am not able to decide about our move from India. I am working here in India. My background is science( physics masters). I would like to ask a few questions to decide on our move:

Thanks
Shadip
Yes, $100k for a family of three will get allow you a decent lifestyle. Where in the state is his potential job? Just how far that salary will go will depend on specific location. It won't go as far in the Twin Cities as, say, Duluth, but it's still enough that you can live a nice (although not luxury) life. Make sure to check out the total benefit package, as things like health insurance can be worth many thousands of dollars on top of the actual salary.

As for your job prospects, I would assume that this will also depend on location in the state. I would expect that your job prospects would be quite good in the Twin Cities.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:00 PM

Thank you very much for the reply uptown_urbanist.
I ll check out the total pay package before deciding. But your reply gave me some positivity about the move. Thank you so much.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:39 PM

988 posts, read 1,827,413 times
I would be likely to agree generally with UU on the ability to be in a decent lifestyle at $100K, though I suppose technically it would depend on what you consider a "decent lifestyle". Unless you have some belief that you need a 5 bedroom house on the lake, with two or three new cars in the garage, and eating out every meal as a "decent lifestyle" you'll be just fine. Even if you assume 25% off the $100K lifestyle for taxes and other deductions, that leaves you around $6200 per month for living. If you take a third of that for housing, a $2000 monthly payment should get you at least a 2 to 3 bedroom home in a safe suburb (or safe city neighborhood), and leave you enough to cover other basic life needs and still have money for discretionary spending.

Put another way, there are plenty in our fine city that live on less and would find themselves comfortable.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:55 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Hi all

Thanks
Shadip
1. Yes, definitely. $100k / year is more than most Twin Cities households earn.
2. Depends on what kind of visa you have.

You probably won't be able to afford a live-in maid or maids with that kind of money as you would with much less in India. You'll have to cook your own food and do your own chores, etc.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Yes, $100k for a family of three will get allow you a decent lifestyle. Where in the state is his potential job? Just how far that salary will go will depend on specific location. It won't go as far in the Twin Cities as, say, Duluth, but it's still enough that you can live a nice (although not luxury) life. Make sure to check out the total benefit package, as things like health insurance can be worth many thousands of dollars on top of the actual salary.

As for your job prospects, I would assume that this will also depend on location in the state. I would expect that your job prospects would be quite good in the Twin Cities.
Thanks for that UU! My location would be twin cities. What kind of job and salary can I expect with my qualification (Physics Masters from a good Indian Univ.)? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-26-2012, 11:28 PM

Thank you for replying GBCommenter and tvdxer..

Old 03-27-2012, 02:28 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Wow -- you're coming to the U.S. with a GREAT head start, good for you!! I think you'll do just fine, and Minneapolis is among the best in the country in terms of unemployment and job openings. The median income in the Twin Cities for a family of 3 is around $70K, so you're WELL ahead of the curve and can afford quite a bit of living and find some really amazing locales. I'd personally suggest the typical Lake Calhoun or Lake Harriet areas, specifically on the Southwest side of the lake, where you'll be in much better school districts (whether your child goes to school there or not, it's good for resale value if you buy a home). Also, other inner-ring (meaning closer to downtown) suburbs to look into could include Edina, Hopkins or St. Louis Park, all of which have excellent schools and at least SOME diversity (you and your family wouldn't be the only Asian Indians in any of these places). I'm sure others could suggest outer-ring suburbs that cater well to families like yours, but I'm less familiar with those.

Good luck, and welcome!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:35 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Thanks for that UU! My location would be twin cities. What kind of job and salary can I expect with my qualification (Physics Masters from a good Indian Univ.)? Thanks in advance!
Try:

www.salary.com

Try their Salary Wizard by typing in a job description and perhaps the seniority, if applicable. Assuming you have at least 5 years of on-the-job experience (big assumption), and you are looking into an Engineering type of position (another big assumption), I'm pretty sure you can pretty easily START well over $80K (like Mechanical Engineer), assuming there are openings and demand for people with your skills (final assumption). I'm fairly certain though that people with your background (high sciences and mathematics) are in very high demand right now in this economy because there have not been enough graduates with that specific kind of education and there continues to be a swelling supply of those jobs.

Here's the Mechanical Engineer with 5+ years of experience salary range:
http://www1.salary.com/Mechanical-En...II-Salary.html

Old 03-29-2012, 03:07 AM

West336,
Thank you so much for such a warm reply.
My main concern is finding a good job for me there. I have 8 yrs + experience in technology mainly in computers. and I can teach Mathematics and physics as well though I have very little experience (< 1 year).

So what will be the probable and better area for me? Teaching or Engineering?

will appreciate your reply on above.

Thank you so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota