Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:24 PM

34 posts, read 181,857 times

Advertisements

I know there are residents in Twin Cities from all over the country. I'm seriously considering to move up north somewhere for a change and Twin Cities happen to be one of the locations of my interest. I have heard many great things about Minneapolis-St. Paul Metro.

How are non-Minnesota natives, especially those hailed from the South liking their lives in the Twin Cities?

Are Minnesotans welcoming and friendly where making new friends won't be an issue?

Has any of the hospitals in Twin Cities ranked as one of the finest in the country? I happen to be a Registered Nurse (RN) myself.

Are winters really that bitter and harsh even if you are dressed properly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 12:51 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,286 times
As long as you're able to accept a relatively high standard of living for all, relatively functional state and local governments, high voter turnout, a hefty dose of environmentalism (because we live in such a naturally beautiful state, it's just part of our culture), and the idea that children in poor parts of the state deserve as good a public education as children in rich areas, I'm sure we can accept you.

Winters are what you make of it. You can always add layers, and nobody will even look at you funny. Wear two pairs of socks? Heck yeah! Nobody knows except you. Long underwear under your jeans/slacks? That's the stuff a comfortable walk outdoors is made of. (To all the shivering 21 year old girls going out to the bars in little dresses and mini skirts in February without a coat, you actually look pretty silly to anyone 25 and older.)

I don't know much about the hospitals, but they all seem pretty good and competent to me. I know most nurses are union members here, so pay, working conditions, and patient care haven't gone completely to hell. North Memorial couldn't have been more helpful when my grandma was there, and I keep hearing that H.C.M.C. in downtown Minneapolis is one of the best in the midwest.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:48 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Mn is going to be like any other part of the country, most people are going to be nice, friendly and welcoming but a few won't be. A lot of that will depend on your attitude.

Several of the hospitals here are nationally ranked. Just down the road is the Mayo Clinic in Rochester too. Nurses here make pretty nice salaries as well.

Winter to you the first couple years is going to seem bitter even though you dress warmly. You will get used to it. This winter would have been a good year to move here because it was so mild. It would have been a good breaking in winter.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:21 AM

200 posts, read 565,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissRN View Post
I know there are residents in Twin Cities from all over the country. I'm seriously considering to move up north somewhere for a change and Twin Cities happen to be one of the locations of my interest. I have heard many great things about Minneapolis-St. Paul Metro.
I am the opposite from you, I went from Twin Cities to Mississippi. But we are thinking of moving back to MN (my MS Husband and I)

Quote:
How are non-Minnesota natives, especially those hailed from the South liking their lives in the Twin Cities?

City wise, since you are from South haven, it will be similar. You will still have all your city conveniences. There is less crime in the Twin Cities Metro area than the Memphis Metro area. I also think the Twin Cities is a very multi cultural city. So there is a lot of enjoy and experience.

Quote:
Are Minnesotans welcoming and friendly where making new friends won't be an issue?

Things will be different (naturally). This is my perspective on the differences in Relationships. In the south, most people are hospitable. So it is really easy to meet new people, but it is very difficult to get close to people. I think it is generally the opposite in MN. It can be difficult to do the initial meeting, but it is easy to grow a great friendship after that initial meeting.

People may not seem as friendly at first. My husband (MS born) is use to waving at strangers and greeting everyone. You will not find that as much in MN. Some might say MN people have closed off personalities, but Just give them some time to warm up to you.

Quote:
Has any of the hospitals in Twin Cities ranked as one of the finest in the country? I happen to be a Registered Nurse (RN) myself.

There are many great hospitals in MN. But I don't work in the hospital field, so I can't say with any experience. Hopefully other can help or some independent research.

Quote:
Are winters really that bitter and harsh even if you are dressed properly?

It is really hard to say. Everyone is different. Dressed properly will help you get from the car to the inside building. People just don't hang out outside during the winter. There are lots of things to do inside, which I find great. And the winters really make you appreciate when everyone comes out during the spring and summer! I personally love having 4 seasons a year! I think it is wonderful. But for the most part, there are going to be some hard winters. And most likely...come Feb. You will be looking forward to spring...but you will be in the same boat as many.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:51 PM

118 posts, read 316,450 times
I moved from MN to NJ. Can't wait to move back to MN. Such a difference in the quality of life.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
As long as you're able to accept a relatively high standard of living for all, relatively functional state and local governments, high voter turnout, a hefty dose of environmentalism (because we live in such a naturally beautiful state, it's just part of our culture), and the idea that children in poor parts of the state deserve as good a public education as children in rich areas, I'm sure we can accept you.

Winters are what you make of it. You can always add layers, and nobody will even look at you funny. Wear two pairs of socks? Heck yeah! Nobody knows except you. Long underwear under your jeans/slacks? That's the stuff a comfortable walk outdoors is made of. (To all the shivering 21 year old girls going out to the bars in little dresses and mini skirts in February without a coat, you actually look pretty silly to anyone 25 and older.)

I don't know much about the hospitals, but they all seem pretty good and competent to me. I know most nurses are union members here, so pay, working conditions, and patient care haven't gone completely to hell. North Memorial couldn't have been more helpful when my grandma was there, and I keep hearing that H.C.M.C. in downtown Minneapolis is one of the best in the midwest.
I can accept all of those Minnesotan values because I also believe in them. It's fantastic that Minnesotans believe that children in poor areas deserve same quality of education. When you said that, I assume that inner city schools are doing well compared to the national average. Here in Mississippi, there is always white flight away from inner city schools and they end up receiving less funding from the state compared to rich suburb schools.

Of course, I plan to dress very well in winter. Those girls would look silly to me too! LOL

I have been checking out hospitals in Twin Cities. I like HCMC and Regions based on my research. Mayo sounds nice but I doubt I want to live in Rochester, MN.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:12 PM

I know this is totally off the topic but I want to share. It turns out that I do have Minnesota ties. During the Great Depression, my paternal great grandfather (MN native) and grandmother (MS native) lost their jobs and left MN relocating to the farmlands of Mississippi owned by his wife's father.

You know the Great Depression doesn't affect you that much if you have your own lands to grow food and cotton, making your own clothes, and live very independently.

I do have distant family members living in Faribault, MN/Rice County whom I have never met.

I am wondering how my Minnesota folks would react if a southern person like me shows up at their doorsteps all friendly and claiming to be their distant family member. LOL

Old 03-09-2012, 10:02 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,079,724 times
Quote:
I do have distant family members living in Faribault, MN/Rice County whom I have never met.

I am wondering how my Minnesota folks would react if a southern person like me shows up at their doorsteps all friendly and claiming to be their distant family member. LOL
I think it'd be cool to meet a long lost relative. Hi! Where ya from? Mississippi, you say? Really?

Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 AM

988 posts, read 1,827,875 times
Quote:
I can accept all of those Minnesotan values because I also believe in them. It's fantastic that Minnesotans believe that children in poor areas deserve same quality of education. When you said that, I assume that inner city schools are doing well compared to the national average. Here in Mississippi, there is always white flight away from inner city schools and they end up receiving less funding from the state compared to rich suburb schools.

Of course, I plan to dress very well in winter. Those girls would look silly to me too! LOL

I have been checking out hospitals in Twin Cities. I like HCMC and Regions based on my research. Mayo sounds nice but I doubt I want to live in Rochester, MN.
Do keep in mind Mississippi's highest income tax bracket is a lower percentage than where Minnesota's starts (according to Federation of Tax Administrators, MS is 3-5% income tax, MN is 5.35 - 7.85%). Corporate income taxes are 9.8% as opposed to MS 3-5%, which makes one ask how do companies make up for paying the additional taxes? Higher prices on their goods.

Housing will also be more expensive. Looking at Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
and comparing ZIP code 38671 to 55423 (which is Richfield, a suburb that seems relatively comparable in demographics to Southaven), houses run about twice as much. Also on Homefair, while this is not a completely apples-to-apples comparison as I can only compare Memphis to Minneapolis generally, Homefair is stating someone making $50,000 in Memphis would have to make $64,000 in Minneapolis to have a comparable lifestyle.

Now, whether all these exorbinant taxes and expenses is the cause of the higher quality of living, or something else in our culture and mentality is the $64,000 question. That, however, is not germane to your question and for another thread.

As for weather, 2 million+ in the metro area call this home and manage to get by, so dress appropriately and you too can adjust. Whether you want to or not is another question. I am a native and, to be honest, hate it to the point of considering throwing in the towel. Be ready for a drastic change, however, especially if next winter is more typical of a MN winter than this one was...

Last edited by Yac; 09-12-2018 at 02:58 AM..

Old 03-09-2012, 02:38 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,286 times
Yeah, taxes are a little higher. But education and services are better, and our parks are prettier. And because we tend to get paid better here, we can easily afford the difference, and still have more left over to put back into the economy, thus keeping more people employed. People with spending money creates demand, and demand creates jobs.

Whether that's exorbitant or not is a matter of opinion, but it's hard to argue with results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota