Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 7,437 times

Advertisements

I'm a native Chinese just started a new job around vadnais heights. I love teaching Chinese language and culture, and have done a lot of language exchange in the last few years. I think I'm good at teaching. It's so much fun!

Since I need to move to somewhere within 30 mins drive way to my company, I said to myself why not living with someone who are big fan of Chinese language or culture? I can teach them everything about China (language, business culture, history etc) and learn American culture from them as well.

Anyone have suggestions about how to find roommate or house-owner like that? If you know someone who would be interested, please send a message to me. Thanks.

Any comments would appreciated, because I'm sure it sounds good to me and all my Chinese friends, but I don't know if it sounds kinda weird to Americans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 11:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
I would contact the local universities and let them know what you are looking for, they may have suggestions for you for people to contact.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Thank you for your suggestions.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:38 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,965 times
I think it sounds like a good idea- we actually have friends that were looking for a native Chinese live-in nanny recently- the husband is Chinese-American and he wanted his kids to grow up speaking the language- I believe they found one through a local magazine/periodical (not sure which one- possibly Asian Pages?). You might want to contact some schools that provide Chinese language instruction (high school or elementary immersion, etc.) about ypour situation- I would think a family who have kids learning Chinese (and an extra room to spare) would be very interested in your offer.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:16 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,928 times
I'd try Craigslist and, like Camden said, the immersion programs.

You may also want to check with colleges that teach it and see if you can post a rommate wanted request there.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:45 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
The Minnetonka Schools have a Chinese immersion program. Home
Perhaps one of the families in that program would be interested in renting you a room. I wouldn't contact the school district, or any government body for that matter. They won't refer you anywhere, fearing liability in case you turn out to be an axe murderer. Instead, you might place an ad in Minnetonka's local paper. Minnesota Local News - minnlocal.com > Minnetonka > Front >

Just one other thing. I notice you have this posted in the Minnesota forum. You might want to put it in the Minneapolis- St. Paul forum instead. Good luck.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:31 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The Minnetonka Schools have a Chinese immersion program. Home
Perhaps one of the families in that program would be interested in renting you a room. I wouldn't contact the school district, or any government body for that matter. They won't refer you anywhere, fearing liability in case you turn out to be an axe murderer. Instead, you might place an ad in Minnetonka's local paper. Minnesota Local News - minnlocal.com > Minnetonka > Front >

Just one other thing. I notice you have this posted in the Minnesota forum. You might want to put it in the Minneapolis- St. Paul forum instead. Good luck.

You can't be serious??? I could call our school right now and get recommendations for tutors, music instructors, etc. They have all kinds of lists of stuff like that.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:09 PM

Thank you all very much for the advices. The immersion program sounds like a great idea to me. I'm amazed by the fact that some American parents have their kids learn mandarin like we have our kids learn english. However. due to the location of my work, Minnetonka is too far away.

I would prefer someplace near vadnais heights/little canada. Is there anyone know immersion program located in the north of Minneapolis or St paul? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota