Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:18 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,922,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Similar to Atlanta in that regard. Atlanta spends more per student than most of its surrounding suburban communities, and yet APD schools tend to not do as well as those in the surrounding communities.

There is obviously some factor at work which isn't $$. My own suspicion is that family support for students is a large factor, but that's largely anecdotal on my part.
thats been a big problem.

and its becoming a problem for whites now as well.

out of wedlock births continue to rise regardless of ethnic demographics nationwide.

you cannot have a solid foundation without 2 parents.

unless your teen mom on mtv and getting paid by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 12:29 PM

76 posts, read 193,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Right, I don't think anyone is arguing the societal issues that come into play here, but how do you explain the fact that Minnesota has a larger gap than other parts of the country?
i'm not from the area, so i really can't comment to that aspect having never been there....

Old 06-08-2011, 01:03 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
My life got a whole lot easier when I learned about "locus of control." Internal locus of control is the belief that one generally has control over his or her outcomes in life. External locus of control is the belief that outside forces are generally responsible for one's outcomes. Studies show that time and time again that people who adopt an internal locus of control, which is a conscious choice, are better off in life. They find a way to get the job despite circumstance and possible excuses.

My sister and I grew up in the same household with the same opportunities. Somehow she's 32, unemployed, addicted to drugs and living at home. Let's just say she always finds a way to try and explain how she got dealt a bad deck and it's not her fault.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:23 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
My life got a whole lot easier when I learned about "locus of control." Internal locus of control is the belief that one generally has control over his or her outcomes in life. External locus of control is the belief that outside forces are generally responsible for one's outcomes. Studies show that time and time again that people who adopt an internal locus of control, which is a conscious choice, are better off in life. They find a way to get the job despite circumstance and possible excuses.

My sister and I grew up in the same household with the same opportunities. Somehow she's 32, unemployed, addicted to drugs and living at home. Let's just say she always finds a way to try and explain how she got dealt a bad deck and it's not her fault.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:25 PM

296 posts, read 413,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post

It makes perfect sense to me why your life got easier. This is an art. The art of living well!
Bravo to those who are choosing happiness under all circumstances.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:30 PM

12 posts, read 30,366 times
Maybe cause they are all foreigners!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:08 PM

16 posts, read 44,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
This actually doesn't work out that way in Minneapolis. There historically has been no "white flight" to the suburbs, and many middle class and wealthy families still choose to send their kids to MPS schools.

This is absolutely False. Look at any yearbook from the 70's... Edison,Henry,North,South,Washburn, etc...even Southwest, and look at them in the 90's, and tell me there was NO White Flight.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:38 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Northsider View Post
This is absolutely False. Look at any yearbook from the 70's... Edison,Henry,North,South,Washburn, etc...even Southwest, and look at them in the 90's, and tell me there was NO White Flight.
That's just as much a reflection of the changing demographics of the city (and metro area) as a whole. Minnesota used to be a very white place; it still is, but the percentage of non-white residents has drastically increased over the past several decades. Take a look at the yearbooks of very white suburbs like Edina and you'll see the same thing -- a much greater diversity today (or in the '90s) relative to what they had in the '70s. That's not to say that there weren't some families who fled to the suburbs (or continue to move farther out) due to concerns about schools or race (and true, saying there was no white flight is a bit of an overstatement), but it was NOTHING like what you find in most larger cities. I think the magnets helped with that, too; MPS had (and has) so many strong magnet options. And certainly a great deal of inequality remained (and remains) in the school district; undoubtedly some parts of the city saw far more "white flight" than did others. (and more applications into other options such as magnets, etc.)

Old 06-09-2011, 07:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,682 times
I think a lot of it has to do with stereotyping and that Minnesota, for the longest time, was primarily white. How can I say this sensitively? When "outsiders" came in and crime went up, I think people's acceptance of outsiders went down. With this suspicion and a feeling of, hey, you're an outsider, perhaps there is a level of distrust going on and it's just easier for people to hire people like themselves. And people like to hire people like themselves anywhere. The fewer blacks in positions to do the hiring, the more of a disaparity you'll see and this may account for the gap in part.

We can see this happening country-wide, in that the highest number of unemployed are those in the lower and higher age brackets. And this includes all colors. Why? My theory is that people in power aren't at the young end of the spectrum and those over a certain age - well, many retire and a 30 something might not want to hire an older person.

Too, Minnesota has a well-educated workforce and in this market it's quite natural that people would want to get more bang for their buck, so to speak.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:25 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,764 times
No white flight? How do you explain Homewood neighborhood? It was a gated, all white community in N Mpls - until the residents all picked up and moved en masse to St. Louis Park in the 50's and 60's. Now, the children of those emigrants are beginning to move back into Homewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota