Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 01:16 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,736 times

Advertisements

In prison each individual has there own place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 01:34 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,599 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKKMdmPBWRk

Old 11-18-2010, 03:45 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think you have a good point about the definition. I've visited the Venetian Ghetto,
Aren't you cultured!

Quote:
and certainly know the original definition of the term. I also HATE the way that people now throw around "ghetto" to mean something very different than its original meaning. At the same time, I think the OP's definition probably does mirror what most modern Americans think it means.

I think in the case of the word "ghetto" it is mostly used in modern American society as a way of referencing race, and I definitely think there are a lot of people who are racist and make the assumption that a larger "minority" population means a higher-crime area.

On the other hand, there are other terms that people often use for poor, rural or small-town areas. Trailer parks in particular seem to be the more traditionally "white", small town or more rural equivalent.
The meanings of words change. This is not necessarily a bad thing. The word "gift" once meant "dowry", the word "gay" once meant "happy", and so on. Language is not static, but rather dynamic and living. When a society needs a new word, one with an obsolete or no longer relevant but somewhat related meaning is often dug up from the ashes. This was the case with "ghetto".

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the concept of a "ghetto" is real. Try telling somebody from Gary, Indiana, East St. Louis, Missouri, or Camden, New Jersey that the whole idea of a "ghetto" is a racist falsehood. These cities all have a murder and violent crime rate many times national average. Even neighborhoods in north Minneapolis once had a murder rate well in excess of 50 / 100,000 (and the national average at the time was about 6). You're not fooling anyone by denying the existence of ghettos.

The term is often used to describe black ghettos, as the most famous and prolific examples are (or were) dominated by blacks, but I have also heard the term applied to Hispanic and Asian-American occupied neighborhoods. There are also wealthy communities dominated by blacks and Hispanics - I highly doubt anybody would call Prince George's County, Maryland, a "ghetto" even though it is 63% black

I asked what neighborhoods either are in reality or are perceived to be ghettos in the original post: a question I expect to be answered... [mod cut]

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 11-18-2010 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: inappropriate language and personal attack

Old 11-18-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Duluth definetly has nothing even close to a ghetto and anyone who suggests otherwise needs to leave the city and check out other areas of the country.
That's mostly true, although some neighborhoods have higher crime rates and poverty than others.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:27 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
To tvdxr: I know the modern American concept of a ghetto is real, but I still think the word is often misused. I also don't think there's anything like what you find in some of the cities you've named (and yeah, I've seen some of them) in Minnesota. And most of the people around here who throw around terms like "ghetto" have very little knowledge about what they're talking about.

And this is a discussion; people are entiteld to offer their opinions.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:00 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Try telling somebody from Gary, Indiana, East St. Louis, Missouri, or Camden, New Jersey that the whole idea of a "ghetto" is a racist falsehood.
Try telling somebody from one of those cities that Minnesota has anything that compares to their situation...

Old 11-18-2010, 05:02 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
...some neighborhoods have higher crime rates and poverty than others.
Even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest guy in the room.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest guy in the room.
I agree that they do not qualify as true ghettos, but if you look at the crime map I provided a link for, there is a concentration of crime there that is not otherwise present in the city.

I personally feel safe in the West End and Central Hillside, even when riding through them my relatively expensive bicycle. In fact, I work near the West End. But I'm a 24 year old male. Others may not feel safe walking through them, especially at night.

If you refer to the original post, I asked what neighborhoods in the state are perceived as ghettos, not what ones really are, according to whatever standards one might have in place. I know from my experiences here that Central Hillside and West End are widely viewed as "ghetto" areas: a local name for the gas station at 6th (Ave E) & 4th (St) is "Ghetto Spur" while the M & H (between the West End and downtown) is popularly referred to as "Ghetto Gas", while wardriving in the WHillside in 2006 I came across a wireless network with the SSID "Ghetto Network", etc. One thing that may be responsible for this reputation is a high poverty rate; according to a recent article in the DNT, 25% of Duluth residents (or households, I can't remember) make under the poverty line, and I would expect that it reaches or exceeds 50% in these 'hoods. However, I do not consider them "ghettos" but rather somewhat shabby neighborhoods.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:39 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,736 times
Ive never heard those names ever before^

Last edited by demtion35; 11-18-2010 at 07:49 PM..

Old 11-18-2010, 11:08 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
How is north Minneapolis (minus Victory) not a ghetto? How is Phillips not a ghetto? Those areas are as shady as many places in cities like Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Kansas City. Not as bad as Detroit or Gary, but still "ghetto."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota