Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:06 AM

174 posts, read 470,599 times

Advertisements

The water in the city of Minneapolis has had a weird taste and smell, almost fishy, for the last few days/week. Somebody told me that it's par for the course here in the spring. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 10:21 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
I don't remember this happening last year but it definitely happened in 2008. Not only did it affect the tap water in our home but it was also present in the water served at local restaurants. As you may know, the source of tap water in Minneapolis, St. Paul and some of the surrounding suburbs is the Mississippi River. The fishy taste and smell is common during the spring season when the presence of algae is higher than normal. They say it's harmless, but I personally find it unpleasant. We installed a water filter on our kitchen sink and it got rid of the smell so I recommend that if you prefer drinking non-fishy water.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:26 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,673,091 times
Definitely noticed it Saturday night at moto-i in uptown. Very fishy. I noticed it all the time when I lived in Dinkytown, but since moving to Ramsey County, it hasn't happened once.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:30 AM

174 posts, read 470,599 times
I haven't noticed it at St Paul, but I definitely notice it in downtown Minneapolis and a firend who lives in Uptown says his shower smells too.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Definitely noticed it Saturday night at moto-i in uptown. Very fishy. I noticed it all the time when I lived in Dinkytown, but since moving to Ramsey County, it hasn't happened once.
Great place by the way. Their sake is second to none and I LOVE the fact that they only serve Minnesotan brews on tap. More places should do that.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:32 AM

587 posts, read 1,420,884 times
Ewww!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Having never lived anywhere other than Ramsey County (grew up in Arden Hills, now live in Vadnais Heights), I have never noticed this my whole life. Thank goodness!

Old 03-16-2010, 01:04 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
I worked quite a few years as a Property Mgr in downtown Minneapolis and a couple times a year we (and our tenants) would be subjected to the awful tasting water. Never got much more than lip-service from the City when we would call and decided to take matters into our own hands and installed a water purification system to address this issue. This was the same type of system that the Mayo Clinic uses and was approved by the FDA in many applications.

However, the city bureaucrats didn't like it; most likely it demonstrated that they weren't doing all they could do to address the problem and made us remove it after a kangaroo-court hearing. There are fixes they could do to address this but they choose not to. Your city govt at work for you.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:20 PM

138 posts, read 370,742 times
I notice this a couple times a year in downtown Mpls. It usually doesn't last long. I have a filter at home which seems to help. Eden Prairie water has a bad taste all year long. They even warned us about it at Santorini's.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert98 View Post
I notice this a couple times a year in downtown Mpls. It usually doesn't last long. I have a filter at home which seems to help. Eden Prairie water has a bad taste all year long. They even warned us about it at Santorini's.
It's bizarre that restaurants insist on serving crappy tap water...more motivation to order a bottle of wine or a cocktail maybe? All I know is if I wanted to run a successful restaurant I'd throw down to get a decent filtration system so my guests could enjoy clean and fresh tasting water. Seems like a no-brainer.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:50 AM

26 posts, read 72,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert98 View Post
The whole time I lived in St. Louis Park, I drank bottled water because the tap water there was some of the worst-tasting tap water I'd ever encountered. Haven't noticed any bad taste to my tap water here in Minneapolis this spring, so maybe some parts of the city are affected worse than others? Then again, someone else posted that they noticed a bad taste in an Uptown venue's water, so who knows. Maybe my landlord installed state-of-the-art filtration when I wasn't looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul