Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 05:28 PM

102 posts, read 622,575 times

Advertisements

St. Louis Park is indeed nice. I have been there many times, and in many parts, you feel just like you're in Minneapolis-except with better schools, better kept houses, and less crime. Central St. Louis Park is only 6 miles to downtown Minneapolis, but you are also very, very close to suburban stores and convieniences. I agree again, Edina is very nice, but I have only stopped there a couple of times, so I can't say much. Also, if you just go a tiny bit further in the west suburbs, you will come across very nice 100% suburban towns such as Plymouth, Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, and Maple Grove(northwest suburb). Summers here are the same as in NYC (if anything ,hotter), but the winters are harsh and often go into the negatives. Downtown Minneapolis has a very nice skline and many things to do. Other parts of Minneapolis itself are very ghetto. The lakes areas and Mississippi areas of Minneapolis are Very nice and extremely EXPENSIVE! The whole metro is pretty nice, and laced with interstates and highways to take you anywhere. The metro has 3.5 million people-small compared to NYC, but many parts very urban, no doubt. The outer suburbs are (in my opionion) are small, boring, and not worth being in. The south suburbs have many things such as the international airport, Mall of America, and Valley Fair(amusment park). Most of the south suburbs are nice. The north suburbs are nice (most of them), but stay away from some areas such as Brooklyn Center, and southern Brooklyn Park, which are kind of ghetto. I never go to the east suburbs, if there even are any... Are you interested in the city or the suburbs? I hope I was helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2006, 06:47 PM

Now, I'll tell you some more about the western suburbs (which is the coolest place to live in the whole state in my opinion). Okay, I told you about St. Louis Park and Edina which are the nice inner ring of suburbs, okay, so the west 2nd ring of suburbs is very nice, too. Personally, I don't really like Minnetonka. Plymouth and Eden Prairie are both very nice, and would be great places to live in. But my favorite from the 2nd ring is Maple Grove. Maple Grove is a GREAT town with currently 60,000 people, and it might even be the fastest growing suburb in the metro. Maple Grove has about 65 restaurants (seriously), almost every store known to the U.S., tons of parks, public paved trails winding all over the town, many beautiful sparkling lakes, a great community center, a good mass transit center, easy access to anywhere in the metro, lots of very nice neighborhoods, very low crime, nice people, and the list goes on. Okay, now I’m not talking about Maple Grove. West of Minnetonka and southern Plymouth is a beautiful, expensive region of the metro-called Lake Minnetonka. This area obviously surrounds a beautiful huge lake called Lake Minnetonka. If you are extremely rich, don’t mind being somewhat far away from downtown, and would like a very beautiful place to be, then I suggest getting $million+ house or condo on Lake Minnetonka, otherwise I suggest my other places (Maple Grove, Plymouth, Eden Prairie, St. Louis Park, or Edina), or discover a great place on your own!

Old 08-09-2006, 08:19 AM

8 posts, read 39,586 times
Compared to NYC Minneapolis will have below zero winters and scorching 100 degree summers. The city itself has alot of culture, and art. It cannot really compare to NYC, but the people are so friendly, and the housing is really affordable.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:54 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,857,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmweather! View Post
Now, I'll tell you some more about the western suburbs (which is the coolest place to live in the whole state in my opinion). Okay, I told you about St. Louis Park and Edina which are the nice inner ring of suburbs, okay, so the west 2nd ring of suburbs is very nice, too. Personally, I don't really like Minnetonka. Plymouth and Eden Prairie are both very nice, and would be great places to live in. But my favorite from the 2nd ring is Maple Grove. Maple Grove is a GREAT town with currently 60,000 people, and it might even be the fastest growing suburb in the metro. Maple Grove has about 65 restaurants (seriously), almost every store known to the U.S., tons of parks, public paved trails winding all over the town, many beautiful sparkling lakes, a great community center, a good mass transit center, easy access to anywhere in the metro, lots of very nice neighborhoods, very low crime, nice people, and the list goes on. Okay, now I’m not talking about Maple Grove. West of Minnetonka and southern Plymouth is a beautiful, expensive region of the metro-called Lake Minnetonka. This area obviously surrounds a beautiful huge lake called Lake Minnetonka. If you are extremely rich, don’t mind being somewhat far away from downtown, and would like a very beautiful place to be, then I suggest getting $million+ house or condo on Lake Minnetonka, otherwise I suggest my other places (Maple Grove, Plymouth, Eden Prairie, St. Louis Park, or Edina), or discover a great place on your own!
I looked up Maple Grove. Looks great! But the houses are a bit much compared to some other areas I have found (IE:Plainview,Kasson,Fergus Falls) Any comment on those areas ?

Old 09-29-2006, 02:52 PM

I love Maple Grove. It is a great town. I think MG is the best place to live in the whole state! I don't know much about those other towns. I wouldn't live in them, because I don't like small towns.

Old 09-30-2006, 07:14 PM

131 posts, read 616,677 times
Minneapolis and St. Paul are 2 totally different cities. Back in the 70's it was written that "Minneapolis was like a margarita after a Kicks (soccer) game and St. Paul is like a beer after a Twins (baseball) game". This still hold true today.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:34 PM

40 posts, read 222,115 times
Think that someone from NYC would enjoy the Uptown area of S Mpls. Close to everything and lots to do. Great shopping and restaurants. Close to museums, theater, lakes and downtown and the airport. Nice parks and places to walk.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:04 PM

66 posts, read 489,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marla Nesbett View Post
Think that someone from NYC would enjoy the Uptown area of S Mpls. Close to everything and lots to do. Great shopping and restaurants. Close to museums, theater, lakes and downtown and the airport. Nice parks and places to walk.
although we moved we lived just north of "UPTOWN" and your reply hits the nail on the head! 5-10 min. drive to downtown very wide range of people! from 18-80! my wife and I absolutely miss the city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul