Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 03:07 PM

411 posts, read 993,085 times

Advertisements

They're crusty punks. They winter in Portland and travel here when it warms up. Mostly harmless they are a sure sign of spring.

There's always one crusty punk dog for every five crusties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 04:38 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,480,367 times
Not sure of the answer but I've come to assume its a "job". For some people, getting and keeping a job is just more than they are fit for. So they've taken to the job of trying to enact a drama that will losen people's hold on their money. I've gotten to an aversion of ANYONE who seems to be approaching me directly in a parking lot. I feel like I KNOW what I'm about to here. Here's my problem. I'm donating on a monthly basis to all kinds of services for those without home or money. So when they approach me, it means they want more or they simply are unaware of the agencies that we donors support. I had a thought years ago about buying some kind of fast food meal ticket to hand out. But then it occurred to me that the people looking for drink money would turn around and see who'll buy it from them. I did save a partially unused stored value card in my wallet for a long time to be prepared for the next guy who was "trying to get bus fare". One day a guy started into his pitch, I took it out, said "here, go take your bus" and continued walking. Have no idea how that came out, but at least it knocked him out of his script.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:57 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,751,282 times
I saw a beggar on Franklin/Hennepin at the stoplight outside of Lowry Hill liquors with a sign that read "Why lie, I need beer". I lol'd and gave him $2 for his honesty.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 744 times
Hey, none of you guys have a single clue what you are talking about. These people wearing dirty clothes with dogs are not all the same. I recommend giving one a chance to be human before you write them off as rats. Some got kicked out of their homes, some were beaten by their parents, some lost their jobs, etc.

Yes. Some of them will go buy booze. Some of them cannot care for their dog. But there are many who got down on their luck once and decided to run with it, to travel, and keep a dog as a companion and protection. Who will accept any temporary work you offer them. Who are starving artists in the literal sense of the word.

OP, maybe rather than go ask people who are just as clueless as you, you could actually grow a pair and make a goddamn first person experience for yourself.

All of them will probably buy drugs and booze? Are you ****ing kidding me? You think a traveler can waltz into a town and get a meth connect? Do you guys even think, or just assume the first theory you come up with is right?

Old 07-19-2013, 09:21 PM

I think there are different stories. A lot of homes in America are abusive. But I think it is equally true that some people look at the life in some sort of "gee that's romantic" illusion. It is their way of dropping out of the rat race that America has produced as more and more wealth collects in fewer and fewer hands. It takes more and more effort to conform and hold onto a corporate job. Coming out of some of these households, they just can't drop into a corporate niche and be happy.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:30 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepooq View Post
Hey, none of you guys have a single clue what you are talking about. These people wearing dirty clothes with dogs are not all the same. I recommend giving one a chance to be human before you write them off as rats. Some got kicked out of their homes, some were beaten by their parents, some lost their jobs, etc.

Yes. Some of them will go buy booze. Some of them cannot care for their dog. But there are many who got down on their luck once and decided to run with it, to travel, and keep a dog as a companion and protection. Who will accept any temporary work you offer them. Who are starving artists in the literal sense of the word.

OP, maybe rather than go ask people who are just as clueless as you, you could actually grow a pair and make a goddamn first person experience for yourself.

All of them will probably buy drugs and booze? Are you ****ing kidding me? You think a traveler can waltz into a town and get a meth connect? Do you guys even think, or just assume the first theory you come up with is right?
you're trying to get a response out of someone who made a handful of posts nearly 4 years ago?

Old 07-20-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
you're trying to get a response out of someone who made a handful of posts nearly 4 years ago?
It is tricky when an old thread gets revived.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:04 PM

643 posts, read 1,038,436 times
Just to make it more Minneapolis-centric, some lyrics that popped in my head from a famous local rapper:

Quote:
You don't give money to the bums
on a corner with a sign bleeding from their gums
Talking about you don't support a crackhead
What you think happens to the money from your taxes

Old 07-20-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
Just to make it more Minneapolis-centric, some lyrics that popped in my head from a famous local rapper:
The money from my taxes goes to New Jersey land developers who don't find the Metrodome pleasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul