Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:33 AM

501 posts, read 1,945,175 times

Advertisements

We need to get our car serviced and luckily we're still under warranty which means we probably get a few days worth of a rental car. However, neither my hubby nor myself are over 25 yet and I am under the impression that you can't rent a car if you are under 25...am I correct in thinking that? In this type of situation does age matter?

I realize we'll probably get this answer when we visit the dealership for repairs, but I'd rather not venture there just to find out I'm stranded until he gets off of work. So any wisdom is much appreciated!

Last edited by MNNative; 09-30-2008 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 AM

989 posts, read 2,960,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNative View Post
We need to get our car serviced and luckily we're still under warranty which means we probably get a few days worth of a rental car. However, neither my hubby nor myself are over 25 yet and I am under the impression that you can't rent a car if you are under 25...am I correct in thinking that? In this type of situation does age matter?

I realize we'll probably get this answer when we visit the dealership for repairs, but I'd rather not venture there just to find out I'm stranded until he gets off of work. So any wisdom is much appreciated!
Call the dealer and ask. Many of them have rental staff right on site too.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Call the dealer and ask. Many of them have rental staff right on site too.
lol When I called to check their availability I did ask and the guy I spoke to had no clue.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
lol When I called to check their availability I did ask and the guy I spoke to had no clue.
That is pathetic. I have a ford and an audi. Both dealers I use have great service departments with enterprise staff on site. Sounds like you need a better dealer. That or you need to be more assertive and ask the clown to find somebody who can answer your questioin.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
That is pathetic. I have a ford and an audi. Both dealers I use have great service departments with enterprise staff on site. Sounds like you need a better dealer. That or you need to be more assertive and ask the clown to find somebody who can answer your questioin.
We've never been to this dealership. I called our dealership but they said since i was worried about driving it down to them we could just try to find a local Chrysler dealership. I did that and this no-knowledge guy was who I got. Seemed like he didn't know much about cars, just the answer-the-phone and make appointments guy. Comparing service, I am willing to cancel my appt with this place and chance the ride to our dealer. But how much damage that will do to the engine scares me. We do have towing coverage, maybe I can just get a tow truck to come here and pick it up and bring it to that dealer...

So many options...too bad my plans are shot for tonight.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:14 PM

481 posts, read 1,816,876 times
Speaking of car rental, are there any recommendations for filling in a 1 or 2 day gap while my car is being repaired (needs shocks & struts -- ouch!!). I'm looking for something cheap and don't care if its basic transportation or even dinged up, so long as its an automatic. I might also decide just to take the bus for those two days.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
We've never been to this dealership. I called our dealership but they said since i was worried about driving it down to them we could just try to find a local Chrysler dealership. I did that and this no-knowledge guy was who I got. Seemed like he didn't know much about cars, just the answer-the-phone and make appointments guy. Comparing service, I am willing to cancel my appt with this place and chance the ride to our dealer. But how much damage that will do to the engine scares me. We do have towing coverage, maybe I can just get a tow truck to come here and pick it up and bring it to that dealer...

So many options...too bad my plans are shot for tonight.
Good luck sorting that out. I would pay for a tow if you think you have major engine problems. Perhaps somebody can recommend a good Chrysler dealer. My thought is any dealer should have quality service starting with the people that answer the phone. I always tend to get a receptionist, and ask for service department. Once you get service department, they should be able to tell you when they can look at it and if they have a loaner available.

If you have towing coverage on your insurance, it should cover. Thing to do is call the number provided by your insurance and ask how far they will tow it.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Good luck sorting that out. I would pay for a tow if you think you have major engine problems. Perhaps somebody can recommend a good Chrysler dealer. My thought is any dealer should have quality service starting with the people that answer the phone. I always tend to get a receptionist, and ask for service department. Once you get service department, they should be able to tell you when they can look at it and if they have a loaner available.

If you have towing coverage on your insurance, it should cover. Thing to do is call the number provided by your insurance and ask how far they will tow it.
One step ahead of you. I have the same viewpoint on service as you seem to; I didn't get it from this particular person (he was the person who answered after I'd been transfered to the service dept.)

Anyhow, we have since decided to cancel that appt and instead use our towing thing from our roadside plan to get our car to the dealership we purchased it from. They're going to take a look at it and we'll go from there. As for the car-rental, I guess we'll have to see if they have a loaner or whatnot.
Thanks for your comments though, Clifford.

Haver, there is some type of car sharing type thing...ugh, I wish I could remember what it is. I believe it's different than regular car rental but it's for short term situations. Maybe it'll come to me--or someone else knows what I'm talking about.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:18 PM

**Haver** Got it! Zipcar - Car sharing, cars by the hour or day Don't know if it's what you're looking for...

Old 09-30-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
One step ahead of you. I have the same viewpoint on service as you seem to; I didn't get it from this particular person (he was the person who answered after I'd been transfered to the service dept.)

Anyhow, we have since decided to cancel that appt and instead use our towing thing from our roadside plan to get our car to the dealership we purchased it from. They're going to take a look at it and we'll go from there. As for the car-rental, I guess we'll have to see if they have a loaner or whatnot.
Thanks for your comments though, Clifford.

Haver, there is some type of car sharing type thing...ugh, I wish I could remember what it is. I believe it's different than regular car rental but it's for short term situations. Maybe it'll come to me--or someone else knows what I'm talking about.
Hope it is not something huge. Car repairs are no fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul