Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:29 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,660,436 times

Advertisements

The Gap is gone, to be replaced by a Victoria's Secret... and what replaced the Uptown Bar? Some chain retailer. The main differences between Uptown and any suburban mall nowadays is you have to walk through snow between shops - and you risk a jaywalking ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 07:44 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,758,141 times
I think you haven't spent much time in Uptown lately, or else haven't spent much time in a suburban mall. The differences are pretty obvious. Or, equally irritating, you're also defining "Uptown" as strictly the strip between 31st and Lake along Hennepin, while simultaneously selectively ignoring the differences between a suburban mall and Hennepin Avenue. The differences are TREMENDOUS; not sure how one could fail to see that. There's the whole public/private ownership issue, the public transportation element, the walkability factor, the proximity of housing and non-retail jobs factor, the historic building and layers of history element, the mix of stores, just to name a few. In any case, Uptown is more than just one intersection. And personally it's my favorite area in Minneapolis because it's the easiest place in which to live a truly urban lifestyle, where one can walk to buy most of life's essentials in the neighborhood (and mostly from local places), rather than having to bring my money out of the community.

I wish malls were more like Uptown; that was their original intent, after all.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:15 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,391,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think you haven't spent much time in Uptown lately, or else haven't spent much time in a suburban mall. The differences are pretty obvious. Or, equally irritating, you're also defining "Uptown" as strictly the strip between 31st and Lake along Hennepin, while simultaneously selectively ignoring the differences between a suburban mall and Hennepin Avenue. The differences are TREMENDOUS; not sure how one could fail to see that. There's the whole public/private ownership issue, the public transportation element, the walkability factor, the proximity of housing and non-retail jobs factor, the historic building and layers of history element, the mix of stores, just to name a few. In any case, Uptown is more than just one intersection. And personally it's my favorite area in Minneapolis because it's the easiest place in which to live a truly urban lifestyle, where one can walk to buy most of life's essentials in the neighborhood (and mostly from local places), rather than having to bring my money out of the community.

I wish malls were more like Uptown; that was their original intent, after all.
And that stretch isn't all bad either. Last time I checked Amazing Thailand was still awesome.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 AM

411 posts, read 993,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
The Gap is gone, to be replaced by a Victoria's Secret... and what replaced the Uptown Bar? .
Uptown Bar and the Lagoon were the only two things I ever had any reason to go to uptown for.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,891,998 times
apparently you haven't heard of a little place called "Drink", where the douchebags come to play!!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:29 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,758,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Uptown Bar and the Lagoon were the only two things I ever had any reason to go to uptown for.
If you only came for two places, that explains why you have a rather limited view of the area. It's just perpetuating the old "Uptown is only an entertainment district" stereotype. There's a lot more there, with a lot for local residents. I don't care about the bars; I care about the amenities available for people who want to live their lives without having to deal with driving or even taking the bus just to get the things they need and want for daily life.

I assume that north Minneapolis would prefer to meet the needs of their own residents first, too.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:14 AM

256 posts, read 586,629 times
I am reminded of the old Yogi Berra line: "No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

Old 03-13-2011, 05:36 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,839,595 times
The original post for this thread was in June of 2006. The replies on here have consistently went off-topic before dying until someone decides to randomly bring the thread back from the grave again- often times to continue (or start anew) a discussion that was off-topic in the first place. There are plenty of other threads about Uptown if people want to have this discussion there.

In the meantime, as a northside resident who has read/responded to this thread for several years now- I request that it be closed/locked as it has FAR outlived its usefulness, as illustrated by all of the off-topic discussions that have taken place on it over the years (might as well re-title it "random/miscellaneous thoughts about whatever thread"), and I view the continued random discussions to be a little disrespectful of both the TOS and my neighborhood.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:30 PM

46 posts, read 161,886 times
Looks like the North side has turned into Murderapolis again after this past week's events. Arrests are down yet crime is up. I used to not be too afraid of walking down West Broadway by myself and will still probably do it, but I don't think it's any coincidence things have gotten rougher. I'm sure people will say the answer is more community BBQs though.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:40 PM

150 posts, read 144,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I am reminded of the old Yogi Berra line: "No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded."
Exactly, when you meet that fork on I-35W N ... take it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul