Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:56 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,146,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
A bike is the best way to find out about the city. You see things through a windshield that you normally miss.
If I was a biker, I don't think I'd want to see anything through a windshield. At least somebody else's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 04:23 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,688,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Not to hijack the thread but -do you use the Verizon GPS? How is it? User friendly? Does it give voice directions? Thanks. Back to your regularly scheduled program.
It's not that great. It supposedly has voice directions, but I never tried them. (Data entry on a phone is never user friendly, if that answers that question.)

I DL'd VZNavigator from "Get It Now" before I took a little road trip this summer, but I actually deleted it from my phone when I got home. Every time you "drive off the screen," it has to connect to the network and load a new map. It also only works within Verizon's native coverage area. I was suggesting it as a "just in case" backup plan in case she got lost without a map, and doesn't want to spring for a real GPS.

For me, it was fun to play with, and it could be helpful in a pinch, but it's a poor substitute for the real thing.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:22 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,439,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegonagle View Post
it's not that great. It supposedly has voice directions, but i never tried them. (data entry on a phone is never user friendly, if that answers that question.)

i dl'd vznavigator from "get it now" before i took a little road trip this summer, but i actually deleted it from my phone when i got home. Every time you "drive off the screen," it has to connect to the network and load a new map. It also only works within verizon's native coverage area. I was suggesting it as a "just in case" backup plan in case she got lost without a map, and doesn't want to spring for a real gps.

For me, it was fun to play with, and it could be helpful in a pinch, but it's a poor substitute for the real thing.
thanks!

Old 09-17-2008, 06:20 AM

987 posts, read 3,827,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
If I was a biker, I don't think I'd want to see anything through a windshield. At least somebody else's.
LOL!

Hey you know we were voted #2 best city for biking. Folks in general are very courteous toward bikes.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:14 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,427,009 times
Use google maps for navigation and then just driving around and becoming familiar with the area are really the best things you can do. Minneapolis is very gridlike and pretty easy to maneuver around in. Downtown is a little more tricky but drive around it a few times and become familiar with the one way streets and it really isn't that bad.

Old 01-23-2021, 11:28 AM

86 posts, read 125,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Use google maps for navigation and then just driving around and becoming familiar with the area are really the best things you can do. Minneapolis is very gridlike and pretty easy to maneuver around in. Downtown is a little more tricky but drive around it a few times and become familiar with the one way streets and it really isn't that bad.
This is great advice. When I first got here I used Google maps for navigation and I don't drive I use public transit so I learned the city in relation to how the transit system operates. Minneapolis is a rather compact city with shopping/dinning districts being in close proximity to each other which was odd to me at first coming from a more spread out city but Google maps was a lifesaver my first weeks here. I used it to find grocery stores as well as shopping and dinning near where I live and that helped me learn the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: