Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 11:06 AM

143 posts, read 327,803 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about relocating to the Twin Cities, so I have been reading a lot of posts. I keep coming across conversations about "Minnesota Nice." That term seems to describe people that seems friendly at first, but are mean, talk bad, etc. behind your back.

I grew up in Michigan before living in Georgia and Texas, so I can tell you - people like that are everywhere, not just Minnesota. I think that a lot of people confuse a more reserved Midwestern attitude as mean, rude, or cold. We just like to mind our business and stay out of the business of others. I think we tend to value deeper, more meaningful relationships with perhaps fewer people than surrounding ourselves with a large circle of casual friends.

I can also say that as someone from the Midwest, I have felt that the more outgoing manners of people in the South can seem intrusive at times. I think that the open attitude can make for some rather akward social situations with people that you don't know very well.

Bottom line - this is a very large country, so regional differences are going to develop. Not everyone is going to like them. Just go where you feel most comfortable.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:55 PM

8 posts, read 30,162 times
Default Minnesota Nice

I don't think that Minnesotans are rude or mean on purpose. But...it is so hard to make friends up here! I moved here 3 years ago, after marrying a Minnesotan. I had great hopes of living in a great city and area, but I am so disappointed with the fact that, sure, people are nice, but they do not want to get to know any new people deeper. So, great, maybe midwesterners value more deep relationships, instead of surrounding themselves with tons of casual friendships, but where does that leave those of us who don't have family or friends here? Nowhere! It has been a very, very lonely place for me, and thank God, we are moving back south in a year or so. Minnesotans simply never leave Minnesota, and therefore, all their lifelong friends and every extended relative they have still live here, so there is no room in their life for any new friends. I think that is terribly sad, and they are missing out on learning from other people, and getting to know other people. And...it's an absolutely miserable place to live for someone who is not from here, sorry, but it's true.
Beachmommy

Old 09-05-2008, 05:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
We already have several posts on this topic already. Please use the search feature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul