Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 6,118 times

Advertisements

Hi my family and I will be moving back to MN soon (we can't wait). We have to sell our house in NY first.
We are looking in the Victoria or Chanhassen area, we have always lived in 2 story traditional homes. We are a family of 4. Kids ages are 10 and 15. We are interested in a Rambler, but not sure how we would like the sleeping arangment with the master bedroom on the main level and the other 3 bedrooms on the lower level. I think with the kids being older it would be ok. Could anybody who lives in a rambler give me your thoughts on it. Also is it harder to sell a rambler than a 2 story house? Right now I see a lot a ramblers on the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 02:56 PM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,178,337 times
That's totally a question of preference. I suppose it depends on how much you like your kids.

If the 2 story arrangement is comfortable for you, by all means continue in the tradition unless there's a reason to change. What is it about a rambler that's intriguing to you?

Myself, I absolutely love ramblers above and beyond all other housing styles - especially the older, well-loved homes. Being 6'8", most folks would think (and most of my clients guess) that I live in a giant house. Not so. My family of 5 lives in a 1650 square foot home, and it's awesome. I have several clients currently recovering from big-home-itis and choosing the smaller ramblers.

Take care,

Robert

Old 07-17-2008, 03:33 PM

107 posts, read 421,882 times
The advantage of ramblers is sense that they can be much more easily added-on to, as you don't have to worry about the structural integrity of the 2nd floor. Also, people with certain mobility limitations may prefer ramblers. Not that multi story houses aren't nice too.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:00 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
When we moved we looked for that same set up-main floor master, 3 in the basement, and couldn't find one. We didn't have time to build so we went with a 2 story. I would have preferred a rambler though.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:48 AM

418 posts, read 906,227 times
We built a rambler and absolutely love it and I would do it all over again too. If you think you're going to be in it for a while or til retirement, the main floor MBR is a great contingency for growing old along with any other health issues that may make climbing stairs an issue. We finished our basement and the other bedrooms are downstairs...it a great noise barrier.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:53 PM

701 posts, read 1,708,119 times
I always disliked ramblers but we bought one (with a full walk-out basement) and now I can't imagine anything else. We have two bedrooms on the main floor and three down. The kids were 1 & 2 when we moved in and have been downstairs since day-one. I think ramblers can make perfect family houses.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:52 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,358 times
Older people like ramblers because of the one level living. My grandmothers each lived in ramblers, it was ok for them, but with kids they are too crowded. I prefer two story or multilevel. My parents would like to sell their two story and buy a rambler, they are tired of all the stairs.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,176 times
Cool Chanhassen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pksparton View Post
Hi my family and I will be moving back to MN soon (we can't wait). We have to sell our house in NY first.
We are looking in the Victoria or Chanhassen area, we have always lived in 2 story traditional homes. We are a family of 4. Kids ages are 10 and 15. We are interested in a Rambler, but not sure how we would like the sleeping arrangement with the master bedroom on the main level and the other 3 bedrooms on the lower level. I think with the kids being older it would be ok. Could anybody who lives in a rambler give me your thoughts on it. Also is it harder to sell a rambler than a 2 story house? Right now I see a lot of ramblers on the market.

We will be selling our rambler walkout with poured concrete walls the most expensive foundation normally in luxury homes the sq feet around 2130 I am originally from NY Westchester

I am ASPIE that means I have trouble not TELLING THE TRUTH TO A FAULT do tell half-truths in very certain times when my LIFE DEPENDS UPON IT

Another buyer wanted the house we bought because has five kids It has 1 and 3/4 baths could possible add a half story with creative desiign and add a 3 season porch in the back the house would be super and in a 5 star coveted school system the new houses near us are 800,000

the house across the st both inhabitants are out and kept it bad to lower their taxes it is going to be replaced by a 500,000 dollar house across from are about 350k house (if keeps changing!) the school system overall in a coveted school system in the State of MN students are taught discipline as if in COLLEGE in early grades

Out daughter with Aspergers and ADD and diagnosed around age 10 went from being behind others to being a 3 Grades reading level above the grade she was in because they care about each student not just the ones that shine for the school they teach multiple ways to make sure if a kid wants to learn they CAN.
she likes so much does not want to leave the state or us selling the house but we need to.

The Top ranking students were a 1/3 of the CLASS our daughter by the skin of teeth got Summa *** Laude honors and got in to Purdue Univ, the Colorado School of Mines, and about 7 other engineering schools but went to the Univ of MN and now becoming a Geologist with a minor in useability because she got a special scholarship given to those with potential and got the maximum they could give us!
A fried of hers likes it so much here her parents moved near UCLA came back here and went to the UMN
One parent drove 3 hrs every day to get her child to that high school Minnetonka HS and where we live have two school districts to choose from even!

We are 3 blocks from a lake walking distance with a trail.

I hope to sell the home in 3 yrs and more to probably Nevada as we want lower taxes in Retirement
Grew up in New Rochelle NY and spouse from Southern California
we are relandscaping due to droughts etc everywhere!
Adding a bistro in shade area and firepit is planned hopefully to it has extra unused space in a lower Spancrete garage with a one-car garage doo but inside and an extra wide two-car garage. and being a walkout and did not change the window to make a four-bedroom the taxes are on the low side but could be even a 5 bedroom! one room bedaroom is used as a home office. We love this city and will MISS IT WHEN WE LEAVE it is that good! ranked one here a top small city in the USA.
my brother and Psychiaste that people said never should have been one and mistreating does care about me and thinks I bad but clueless about aspies tried to get me divorced and end my life does not know a single thing right about aspies and does not care about me.
Dr. Steven Cronson l DDS (retired)

Old 07-24-2021, 09:40 AM

441 posts, read 438,867 times
sometimes houses have finished bedrooms and baths. Maybe you could use that as a master bedroom if your basement is finished. We lived in a one story house growing up and all three bedrooms were close to each other. four kids two adults and only one bath. We managed. Now as an adult I don't know how we did it. :-)

Old 07-24-2021, 09:44 AM

441 posts, read 438,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcronson View Post
We will be selling our rambler walkout with poured concrete walls the most expensive foundation normally in luxury homes the sq feet around 2130 I am originally from NY Westchester

I am ASPIE that means I have trouble not TELLING THE TRUTH TO A FAULT do tell half-truths in very certain times when my LIFE DEPENDS UPON IT

Another buyer wanted the house we bought because has five kids It has 1 and 3/4 baths could possible add a half story with creative desiign and add a 3 season porch in the back the house would be super and in a 5 star coveted school system the new houses near us are 800,000

the house across the st both inhabitants are out and kept it bad to lower their taxes it is going to be replaced by a 500,000 dollar house across from are about 350k house (if keeps changing!) the school system overall in a coveted school system in the State of MN students are taught discipline as if in COLLEGE in early grades

Out daughter with Aspergers and ADD and diagnosed around age 10 went from being behind others to being a 3 Grades reading level above the grade she was in because they care about each student not just the ones that shine for the school they teach multiple ways to make sure if a kid wants to learn they CAN.
she likes so much does not want to leave the state or us selling the house but we need to.

The Top ranking students were a 1/3 of the CLASS our daughter by the skin of teeth got Summa *** Laude honors and got in to Purdue Univ, the Colorado School of Mines, and about 7 other engineering schools but went to the Univ of MN and now becoming a Geologist with a minor in useability because she got a special scholarship given to those with potential and got the maximum they could give us!
A fried of hers likes it so much here her parents moved near UCLA came back here and went to the UMN
One parent drove 3 hrs every day to get her child to that high school Minnetonka HS and where we live have two school districts to choose from even!

We are 3 blocks from a lake walking distance with a trail.

I hope to sell the home in 3 yrs and more to probably Nevada as we want lower taxes in Retirement
Grew up in New Rochelle NY and spouse from Southern California
we are relandscaping due to droughts etc everywhere!
Adding a bistro in shade area and firepit is planned hopefully to it has extra unused space in a lower Spancrete garage with a one-car garage doo but inside and an extra wide two-car garage. and being a walkout and did not change the window to make a four-bedroom the taxes are on the low side but could be even a 5 bedroom! one room bedaroom is used as a home office. We love this city and will MISS IT WHEN WE LEAVE it is that good! ranked one here a top small city in the USA.
my brother and Psychiaste that people said never should have been one and mistreating does care about me and thinks I bad but clueless about aspies tried to get me divorced and end my life does not know a single thing right about aspies and does not care about me.
Dr. Steven Cronson l DDS (retired)
You did a great job!! My nephew is autistic and they did early intervention with him. He just graduated from high school and is going to UNLV to study math and actuary. My brother lives in NV and so does my mom. They both absolutely love it there. My mom just sold her townhouse for something like $10,000 over her asking price. They made a nice little profit which is why they decided to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul