Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 04:12 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Crime has skyrocketed in last 6+ months. Watch Live On Patrol on YouTube with the head Ramsey County Sheriff Bob Fletcher (St Paul is in Ramsey County). Bob’s a great entertaining guy from what I’ve seen watching.
Crime was up in 2020 in several categories (and lower in a few others) compared to 2019, but this was after a steady decline over the last 15 years. Statistically there is less crime in Minneapolis now than there was in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 06:47 AM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Crime was up in 2020 in several categories (and lower in a few others) compared to 2019, but this was after a steady decline over the last 15 years. Statistically there is less crime in Minneapolis now than there was in 2012.
I don’t think crimes get reported much anymore. My local bar in NE this summer there was a giant fight where bouncer had to go to hospital. Wasn’t reported. Someone at 2am shot up the building at people sitting outside, bullets are lodged in the brick. Not reported. Someone maced the patio. Not reported. While I was there an older guy pulled his gun out on the patio and fired 3 rounds into sky and set gun down. Nobody did anything, who’s going to confront a dude with a gun? We paid our tab, but couldn’t or didn’t want to leave because you’d have to walk past him and his wonderful buddies. He left soon after, we stayed. Nothing was reported.

This is one place, many others are doing the same. Prior to all these wonderful events, I’ve never seen or heard of anything remotely close to these things and I’m friends with staff outside of there.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:26 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I don’t think crimes get reported much anymore. My local bar in NE this summer there was a giant fight where bouncer had to go to hospital. Wasn’t reported. Someone at 2am shot up the building at people sitting outside, bullets are lodged in the brick. Not reported. Someone maced the patio. Not reported. While I was there an older guy pulled his gun out on the patio and fired 3 rounds into sky and set gun down. Nobody did anything, who’s going to confront a dude with a gun? We paid our tab, but couldn’t or didn’t want to leave because you’d have to walk past him and his wonderful buddies. He left soon after, we stayed. Nothing was reported.

This is one place, many others are doing the same. Prior to all these wonderful events, I’ve never seen or heard of anything remotely close to these things and I’m friends with staff outside of there.
Are you suggesting that crimes are reported less frequently now than they were a year ago? 5 years ago? 10 years ago? You provided a few recent anecdotes but are you suggesting that those same people reported those same crimes when they happened in the past? I would like to see some data or studies that speak to this.

By the way, we were the victim of several property crimes while living in Powderhorn between 2008-2014 - car break-ins, theft of outdoor lighting equipment, garage tagged with graffiti, etc. and we never reported anything. We have lived in Southwest Minneapolis since 2014 and (knock on wood) haven’t been victim to a single crime yet that I can think of. So it looks like my anecdote cancels yours out.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:08 AM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Are you suggesting that crimes are reported less frequently now than they were a year ago? 5 years ago? 10 years ago? You provided a few recent anecdotes but are you suggesting that those same people reported those same crimes when they happened in the past? I would like to see some data or studies that speak to this.

By the way, we were the victim of several property crimes while living in Powderhorn between 2008-2014 - car break-ins, theft of outdoor lighting equipment, garage tagged with graffiti, etc. and we never reported anything. We have lived in Southwest Minneapolis since 2014 and (knock on wood) haven’t been victim to a single crime yet that I can think of. So it looks like my anecdote cancels yours out.
If you want to base this all on stats, I have an idea for you. Find all the cameras and people filming and write down every single crime that was committed during the riots. Each one. Every person who willingly walked onto the freeway was trespassing. That alone is going to account of over 1,000+ trespassing crimes within one day.

I’m assuming you and I could find freeway trespassing stats on Mpls site and then get a hold of the state cameras and pause and count, pause and count for all of them and then we can compare and contrast the reality and what’s on the cities report. Or since freeways are federal, we’d have to use state site for that?

I don’t see Mpls as a hell hole now, things have settled down. Car jackings are a new norm. I am not looking forward to the trial, things could turn bad very quickly.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:11 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
I see neighbors posting on the Kingfield Facebook page that they didn’t report a crime because they feared how the police might treat the perpetrators. I’ve only seen it a couple of times and I doubt it’s skewing crimes statistics, but I had never heard of such a thing prior to 2020.

I don’t think there is any question that some crimes go unreported. The Dept of Justice estimates that in the period from 2006-2010, over half of violent crimes were not reported to the police. I was shocked at how high that number was, and was unable to find more recent data to determine whether or not that percentage has increased. https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/vnrp0610.pdf

Old 05-12-2021, 10:24 PM

171 posts, read 179,503 times
Have things gotten any better in murderapolis? I hope so. It seems they're building everywhere.. I wonder if it will slow the growth with the problems its had over the last years. Before last use towers and residential buildings where going up every where..

Old 05-13-2021, 05:21 AM

19 posts, read 15,708 times
Things still happen, same as anywhere.

TBH seems like most crime seems to be swept back to the north side where it always resided before it took the rest of the city by storm for a while. I live in South and it feels generally safe again.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:15 PM

171 posts, read 179,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motul86 View Post
Things still happen, same as anywhere.

TBH seems like most crime seems to be swept back to the north side where it always resided before it took the rest of the city by storm for a while. I live in South and it feels generally safe again.
There have been 26 homicides so far.. 1 downtown 1 southeast 8 Northside and 16 Southside so

Old 05-17-2021, 04:52 AM

588 posts, read 561,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparel View Post
There have been 26 homicides so far.. 1 downtown 1 southeast 8 Northside and 16 Southside so
Add one more to the south side.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...8-2d6a819e359c

Quote:
Police were in the area of Elliot Avenue and East Franklin Avenue just before 1:30 a.m., near Peavey Field Park,
Quote:
This is the 27th homicide in Minneapolis in 2021. Last year at this time, there were 14 reported homicides.

Old 05-22-2021, 03:26 PM

356 posts, read 443,331 times
Default You really should try Merlin's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JButlin View Post
Is Minneapolis' downtown compact and walkable? Looking on google maps I see there is a British pub there!
https://merlinsrest.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul