Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 06:08 AM

323 posts, read 135,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Iowa is wayyy higher risk than northern MN for strong Tornados but again, that's still low in the big scheme of things.

100% nailed it in your last 2 sentences.

I work with this stuff professionally I'm familiar with the NOAA weather database that goes back decades so just an fyi to those reading this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatteredthunder View Post
You keep saying northern MN, but Lakeville isn't considered northern, is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In the models I look at, yeah but those are based on risk not miles north and south.

I'll refrain from using that and instead just say Zone 2.
No, you're not looking at any model that considers Lakeville to be in - and I quote you - 'Northern MN'. They don't exist. Lakeville is in southern Minnesota on a literal basis; colloquially it would be either 'Southern Minnesota' or 'Twin Cities' - but certainly not 'Northern MN'.

At any rate, FEMA specifically assesses the tornado risk to Dakota County (where Lakeville is located) and Polk County (where Des Moines is located) the same: RELATIVELY HIGH.

https://hazards.fema.gov/nri/map [select Tornado, drop-down at the upper left]

So apparently, Mr. I'm-a-professional-so-there!, your familiarity with the comparative tornado risks of southern Minnesota and central Iowa is about as sound as your understanding of where Lakeville is located in Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 08:52 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
As far as Lakeville goes, it's a fairly generic outer-ring suburb. Nothing special. The housing stock is mostly beige 80s/90s split-levels on cul-de-sacs.
Fairly generic? Possibly. But we actually lived in Lakeville for a year and did think it was special. A portion of the housing stock is as this poster described, but a large percentage of homes are well kept and very charming in their settings regardless of their age/content. The Lakeville area is gorgeous with numerous, big parks and a handful of very nice lakes such as Marion and Orchard. The shopping/dining is all we needed to be next door to and there were countless other options 10 to 15 minutes away. The schools are among the best in the state and boast some of the best athletic programs as well. As someone else mentioned you are within easy, convenient driving distance to things like MOA, the airport, Mystic Lake/Valley Fair/Canterbury, the MN zoo and also have lickety split access to both of the cities with the I-35 split being right on your doorstep. We would frequently visit the river bluff areas from Red Wing down to La Crosse and Lakeville was a great base point for that. The only "downside" to Lakeville to me is it doesn't boast much of a downtown/city center. Not surprisingly, Lakeville has become pricey and we ended up moving to the north side of town to get better bang for our housing buck, but have nothing but fond memories of our year there and would not hesitate for a second to recommend it, especially for families.

Lakeville is still the Midwest, so the tornado threat exists, but it's nowhere near as elevated as in western and far southern MN. Those are areas that begin to approach the traditional Tornado Alley.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 12-13-2023 at 09:35 AM..

Old 12-21-2023, 04:03 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Fairly generic? Possibly. But we actually lived in Lakeville for a year and did think it was special. A portion of the housing stock is as this poster described, but a large percentage of homes are well kept and very charming in their settings regardless of their age/content. The Lakeville area is gorgeous with numerous, big parks and a handful of very nice lakes such as Marion and Orchard. The shopping/dining is all we needed to be next door to and there were countless other options 10 to 15 minutes away. The schools are among the best in the state and boast some of the best athletic programs as well. As someone else mentioned you are within easy, convenient driving distance to things like MOA, the airport, Mystic Lake/Valley Fair/Canterbury, the MN zoo and also have lickety split access to both of the cities with the I-35 split being right on your doorstep. We would frequently visit the river bluff areas from Red Wing down to La Crosse and Lakeville was a great base point for that. The only "downside" to Lakeville to me is it doesn't boast much of a downtown/city center. Not surprisingly, Lakeville has become pricey and we ended up moving to the north side of town to get better bang for our housing buck, but have nothing but fond memories of our year there and would not hesitate for a second to recommend it, especially for families.

Lakeville is still the Midwest, so the tornado threat exists, but it's nowhere near as elevated as in western and far southern MN. Those are areas that begin to approach the traditional Tornado Alley.
Lakeville is impressive. The climate has not been cooperating lately but in a normal winter they have 27 outdoor hockey rinks they resurface with an outdoor Zamboni every morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul