Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2023, 08:26 AM

15 posts, read 16,555 times

Advertisements

Me and my fiance are moving to the Minneapolis area within a few years and plan on purchasing our forever home there. We've been there before and don't have one specific area of interest at the moment. We've went back and forth for a long time on whether we should move to Houston, back to Chicago, or somewhere else. I believe we've made our decision. We are looking for advice and suggestions but under this will be our decision. We just hope with some help we can narrow it down a little.

We will be moving from Nashville,TN. I've lived in Chicago for 10 years and she's from New Hampshire. No advice on winter needed. Just to get that out of the way. We do have a lengthy list of things so I figure I would just lay everything out and go from there. We will be renting at first.

We would prefer an apartment (we lived in a gated community and would like one there if possible but it's not a deal breaker!) but open to renting a house with a yard and garage. Looking for a 2/3 bedroom, 2 bath, fireplace, a pool and hot tub would be nice, gym, attached/detached garage, large balcony, and open concept floor plan. We want to keep it under $2,800.

We would like to be within 30 minutes of Downtown Minneapolis, close to plenty of shopping (Macy's, Nordstrom, Whole Foods etc...) and restaurants. It would be nice to have a cute downtown area with a few walkable options but doesn't have to have that while we are renting. We want to be close to walking and/or biking trail. I prefer to walk outside as opposed to a gym. I also enjoy canoeing and would love a regular spot to just get out on the water close to home. We do not have children and that is not in the future.

When it comes to purchasing a home, we are looking for something under $600K, 3br2ba, decent yard for garden, plants, hot tub and extra room to grow (5000 square foot lot, maybe?), sidewalks in the neighborhood are a must.

Any other questions? Just ask and I'll be glad to provide more info. This is important so we want to start making serious plans now. Cheers!

Last edited by MichWolverines1983; 09-24-2023 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2023, 11:07 AM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 4 days ago)

792 posts, read 372,092 times
I really liked Eden Prairie - lived there for a year for a contract gig a couple years ago.

Close to Lake Minnetonka - under 30 to downtown, lots of amenities, etc.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:37 PM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Wayzata or Edina, both have nicer end downtowns.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:12 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Gated communities aren't really a thing in the Twin Cities.

Old 09-28-2023, 06:11 AM

Thank you to everyone who responded. After a very long, stressful, but very honest, conversation, we've decided to on another city that is not in Minnesota. Thanks again!

Old 09-28-2023, 11:41 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
I really liked Eden Prairie - lived there for a year for a contract gig a couple years ago.

Close to Lake Minnetonka - under 30 to downtown, lots of amenities, etc.
(realize no longer relevant, but others might find useful someday)

We live in EP now ("Golden Triangle"). It's about as soulless a stretch of suburbia as it gets, except there's a nice park nearby (Bryant Park). As far as a walkable downtown - forget it. Lots of amenities within a 10-minute drive, though.

We moved here from Highland Park, which is an area I would recommend with all my heart. Just don't live in the big white tower as you will hate your life every day and twice on sunny ones.

Old 10-03-2023, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Gated communities aren't really a thing in the Twin Cities.

It seems the conversation about Minneapolis isn't quite over. Me and my fiance are definitely considering Minneapolis at this point. We do not NEED a gated community. We are definitely NOT interested in any gated community when we purchase our home. We have had good luck with the apartment complex we are currently in and wanted to keep our options open while renting. Ideally, we'd love to rent a nice single family home with a yard and garage until we find the perfect home to purchase.

Thank you to all who responsed with their recommendations. We are definitely looking into those areas. Thanks again!

Last edited by MichWolverines1983; 10-03-2023 at 05:40 PM..

Old 10-07-2023, 10:17 AM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
(realize no longer relevant, but others might find useful someday)

We moved here from Highland Park, which is an area I would recommend with all my heart. Just don't live in the big white tower as you will hate your life every day and twice on sunny ones.
I drove by the 740 yesterday. Guessing the Luxury in the name is in the likes of luxury vinyl flooring …there is nothing luxury about vinyl flooring. Did you at least have a place with a view? That Ford plant development is crazy huge!

Old 10-07-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I drove by the 740 yesterday. Guessing the Luxury in the name is in the likes of luxury vinyl flooring …there is nothing luxury about vinyl flooring. Did you at least have a place with a view? That Ford plant development is crazy huge!

We've actually started looking into city neighborhoods partly because of this. The entire Nashville area is surrounded by new development that is CHEAP and STERILE. We do not want more of the same when we move. Absolutely no personality. Long-term, a city neighborhood will be a better fit for us.

Old 10-07-2023, 07:18 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
We had a view of the Ford site (with an edge of the river). But it wasn't worth what it cost - not by a long shot. Tired building with pleasant enough, but overworked (and overmatched by managing a sixty-year-old tower) staff and a decent community of mostly elderly people, most of whom have been living there for ages.

I'll write a google review for them soon. People need to know there are better options in the area and not enough of their residents or ex-residents bother to review the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul