Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 04:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,618 times

Advertisements

I’m 35, wife is 29. Have both lived in Minneapolis or St Paul since 18. Plan is to have 1, and only 1, kid in next 1-2 years.

What we are looking for:

- At least 3 bedrooms and 2 baths

- A big enough backyard to be able to grill, play a lawn game, throw a football around. Doesn’t have to be massive, but bigger is a huge plus for my wife, though not a requirement.

- Ability to drive in to Dinkytown (wife works for university) in 30 minutes if leave at 6:30 AM on Tuesday - Thursday

- Finished basement is massive bonus for me, sun room or area with lots of natural light is massive bonus for wife. Neither is requirement

- A school district thats not terribly underperforming. Doesn’t have to be elite. We think we’d be fine with Burnsville, but probably nothing performing worse than that.

- Basically move-in ready for $430 k. So, if need works, needs to be cheaper. We are fine doing little projects, but can’t afford $430 k plus massive work

- Walkability is bonus, but not requirement

Any areas we should focus on? Is this possible for $430 k?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 03:20 PM

10 posts, read 15,429 times
I’m selling my house right now in Golden Valley for $420,000! It’s 3 bedrooms, 1 full, and 2 partial bathrooms. Move in ready. It’s on a double lot as well. I can PM you the link to the listing.

Old 09-05-2023, 02:11 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Perhaps Mounds View or Shoreview (in the Mounds View school district - in Minnesota, school district boundaries do not always follow city boundaries, especially in the Twin Cities metro).

Old 09-06-2023, 10:32 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Shoreview

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...h/Shoreview_MN

New Brighton

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ew-Brighton_MN

Roseville

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...h/Roseville_MN

Fridley

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...rch/Fridley_MN

Hugo, Circle Pines, Lino Lakes - type those names into realtor.com and hit Enter

I am not an expert on getting to Dinkeytown, but those above are all North Metro suburbs with good schools, neighborhood walkability, and etc., but certainly no concentrated downtowns.

Old 09-06-2023, 11:51 AM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
st. Anthony village although I suspect there are not a lot of homes for sale there.

if you've lived in the area for awhile I'd guess you'd know fridley, new Brighton, shoreview are probably more than a 30 minute commute.

maybe falcon heights?

Old 09-06-2023, 01:28 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
st. Anthony village although I suspect there are not a lot of homes for sale there.

if you've lived in the area for awhile I'd guess you'd know fridley, new Brighton, shoreview are probably more than a 30 minute commute.

maybe falcon heights?
Columbia Heights also.

Highway 65 is a straight shot south from Fridley and Columbia Heights. The other 'urbs would require I35W except for Roseville (36). Hugo, Lino Lakes, and Centerville are likely too far from that 30 minute limit.

I stayed at my brother's house in Shoreview and commuted down I35E to St. Paul for several months, and it was doable in 20-25 minutes. Shoreview to Dinkytown down I35W is about the same distance or a little shorter.

I suspect the big issue in Dinkytown would be the parking.

But OPs need to respond or threads like this simply become an echo chamber.

Old 09-06-2023, 01:40 PM

219 posts, read 114,963 times
[quote=Have both lived in Minneapolis or St Paul since 18. [/QUOTE]

Both of you want to buy there as well?

Old 09-07-2023, 03:54 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
I think your budget and specs seem pretty doable... the market has been cooling due to interest rate hikes, and with those fluxes, be sure you truly can afford $430K for your starter home and/or have some contingencies planned for the surprise costs of homeownership that will inevitably happen.

Also: when you're at the point of talking about finished basements and sunrooms, you really should be working with a local realtor to search for/ accommodate your needs. Good luck

Old 09-08-2023, 10:23 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Definitely following this thread. We're in a slightly later stage in life (early 40s/late 30s) and have no kids, but otherwise our requirements are basically the same as OPs (my wife also works at the U). Time horizon is about 1-1.5 years since we're locked in a lease until at least next August, but never too early to start researching. I'm basing our search around the StLP/Plymouth area (my work is in Medina, but we're hybrid 3/2, so the length of the drive is not as important). There are plenty of options in that corridor that may fit you, as well.

OP, I would echo what CN has said: if both of you have lived in the Twin Cities for over a decade, you've got to be pretty familiar with the area. I hate to be the JFGI type, but, honestly, Zillow (you can even punch your commute into your profile) is going to do more for you than any of us ever could.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 09-08-2023 at 10:37 AM..

Old 09-10-2023, 08:04 AM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
St Anthony would be ideal, I live a block from it and $430k would be on the lower end of stock values, so that’s a good thing. A client of mine is looking at selling their property in New Brighton on Rice Creek with a pool and it fits most of your wants. I follow high end real estate for fun all across interesting areas in the US and this particular property setup is just awesome with creek with rapids next to a pool and elevated deck gazebo right above the creek. The lady had been a family friend for 30 plus years. It’s in the Irondale schools within Mounds View school district (the high school is .7 miles from the home).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul