Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 03:49 PM

3,778 posts, read 5,324,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
If needing to be in either downtown for work, North Oaks would be perfect. Current prices are in $600k (the latest $600k range is pending) to $3.5m. Each lot is larger and city is private. All homes are on wells and septic and association fee of $113 per month for street plowing, maintenance, etc…90% of the city is thick woods with windy streets with no street lights. In a great school district too, Mounds View. The eastern part is in White Bear school district.
I wonder how long those North Oakers will get away with private wells. For example, in Shoreview the Department of Health will not approve any new domestic wells since there is a city water line down the streets. If connecting to city water, one does not need to seal the old domestic well if using for yard and garden watering.

When I did research on this (I connected my Shoreview house to city water in 2019), I saw where around 520 Shoreview homes still had private wells, but that number is likely to shrink. I had a renter moving in so I didn't want to risk the pump quitting in the middle of winter and having to call out a well driller for $$$$$$!

And as for private septic systems? Wow. North Oaks is built around several lakes and we'll see how long before eutrophication kicks in big time. Putting in city water and septic could send those HOA fees soaring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2023, 06:04 PM

6,545 posts, read 7,127,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I wonder how long those North Oakers will get away with private wells. For example, in Shoreview the Department of Health will not approve any new domestic wells since there is a city water line down the streets. If connecting to city water, one does not need to seal the old domestic well if using for yard and garden watering.

When I did research on this (I connected my Shoreview house to city water in 2019), I saw where around 520 Shoreview homes still had private wells, but that number is likely to shrink. I had a renter moving in so I didn't want to risk the pump quitting in the middle of winter and having to call out a well driller for $$$$$$!

And as for private septic systems? Wow. North Oaks is built around several lakes and we'll see how long before eutrophication kicks in big time. Putting in city water and septic could send those HOA fees soaring.
I have 4 clients in North Oaks and these are not upper class homes. One guy bought for $354k in 2011 and he put $100k or more into it. Sold for $795k in 2022. The other three houses are worth less. The friend who sold was on the city board, he said the city was offered to go on city water and sewer with each house paying in $50k range. Everyone was against it!!! He was dumbfounded on everyone not wanting to pay it. Guess he wasn’t the typical North Oaker and maybe why he sold?

The client with the oddest house worth the least, he’s a land barron. Owns three lots next to his house, plus he owned all the land where 96 meets 35E, and I guess where 96 and 35W are, he owned a giant chunk at both locations. He’s very elderly and fun to talk to, he’s in 1% but you’d think he’s far from it (owns a penthouse on beach in Santa Monica).

Last edited by wamer27; 07-06-2023 at 06:15 PM..

Old 07-07-2023, 06:18 PM

3,778 posts, read 5,324,471 times
Quote:
I have 4 clients in North Oaks and these are not upper class homes. One guy bought for $354k in 2011 and he put $100k or more into it. Sold for $795k in 2022. The other three houses are worth less. The friend who sold was on the city board, he said the city was offered to go on city water and sewer with each house paying in $50k range. Everyone was against it!!! He was dumbfounded on everyone not wanting to pay it. Guess he wasn’t the typical North Oaker and maybe why he sold?
$50k?? Ouch!

Because Shoreview city water line runs down my street, it only cost in the $4k range to get connected. There are curb stops which weren't that difficult to find. But a sewer line would be very expensive since they need sewer line boxes and lift stations to go with all of the house and line connections.

Old 07-07-2023, 08:14 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,444,722 times
We just moved to Lindstrom and this area fits OP’s description perfectly, plus the whole Chisago Lakes/St. Croix river valley is one of the most beautiful regions not only in the state, but the entire Midwest. In our neighborhood there are homes ranging from 300K to close to a million.

Old 07-08-2023, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
$50k?? Ouch!

Because Shoreview city water line runs down my street, it only cost in the $4k range to get connected. There are curb stops which weren't that difficult to find. But a sewer line would be very expensive since they need sewer line boxes and lift stations to go with all of the house and line connections.
Now imagine running an entire new system through the whole city! A companies dream job!!!

Old 07-09-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Now imagine running an entire new system through the whole city! A companies dream job!!!
They’d then have to put a water tower in, a whole water department staff/building etc...it’s a big deal and huge city upfront expense (friend of mine works in Minnetonka water department).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul