Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2023, 06:39 PM

5 posts, read 7,526 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Ill be moving to Wanamingo , MN from Indiana for work , But I am not sure whether I should be living in Rochester, MN or close to the Twin Cities such as in Apple Valley , MN . Can anybody offer any advice on good areas where to live? Ido not mind commuting more than 30 minutes - Thank you so much for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 09:51 PM

367 posts, read 545,649 times
From strictly a commuter perspective, it is a shorter distance to to get back and forth from the Rochester area to Wanamingo than the Twin Cities’s southern suburbs. I know you said you don’t mind a long commute, but you might want to reconsider due to Minnesota’s winter climate for a good portion of the year. A half hour to 40 minute drive in normal conditions can easily double or triple when there’s snow and ice on the roads (and this winter we have seen more than our share), so I suggest living as close to your employer as possible.

The south metro of the Twin Cities is largely suburban and closer to larger cities like Minneapolis and St Paul for culture and entertainment while Rochester is a smaller but growing area which boasts the world-renown Mayo Clinic. That is why beyond the commute, it would help to know what you are looking for to provide recommendations on where to live. Do you like bigger cities or small towns? Urban, suburban, or rural environments? If you can be more specific in your preferences it will help in giving suggestions.

Old 02-25-2023, 09:01 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
I agree with Rhody2Mn on this one. Why buy in a more expensive Metro suburb when you can get something decent in any number of small to mid-size towns in and around Wanamingo? Faribault, Owatonna, Red Wing, Lake City, and Rochester are closer than say, Lakeville or Farmington. The metro is expanding southwards rapidly and those smaller location real estate prices will be going up over the next few decades.

If you need big city living, then choose Rochester. Otherwise, Red Wing and Lake City are beautiful towns on the Mississippi River.

Old 02-25-2023, 09:11 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Why live so far away? Live in Wanamingo. Or live in Zumbrota or Pine Island. Affordable housing, nice healthy safe small communities, and pretty good schools. All are a easy drive to Rochester for shopping/cultural/etc. opportunities. Commuting a longer distance wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.

Old 02-27-2023, 03:28 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,677 times
Wanamingo is kind of a tiny, nothing town in the middle of nowhere...is your job actually right there?

Unless you really enjoy rural farm town living in a community where literally every single person (mostly retired seniors) is going to know you, I'd look at Zumbrota or Pine Island like others have suggested. Both of those communities are right on Hwy. 52 and will have more housing options.

Old 03-01-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody2Mn View Post
From strictly a commuter perspective, it is a shorter distance to to get back and forth from the Rochester area to Wanamingo than the Twin Cities’s southern suburbs. I know you said you don’t mind a long commute, but you might want to reconsider due to Minnesota’s winter climate for a good portion of the year. A half hour to 40 minute drive in normal conditions can easily double or triple when there’s snow and ice on the roads (and this winter we have seen more than our share), so I suggest living as close to your employer as possible.

The south metro of the Twin Cities is largely suburban and closer to larger cities like Minneapolis and St Paul for culture and entertainment while Rochester is a smaller but growing area which boasts the world-renown Mayo Clinic. That is why beyond the commute, it would help to know what you are looking for to provide recommendations on where to live. Do you like bigger cities or small towns? Urban, suburban, or rural environments? If you can be more specific in your preferences it will help in giving suggestions.
Thank you so much , this is great advice I really appreciate , I knew Minnesota was cold but did not know it last good portion of the year - Thanks again

Old 03-01-2023, 07:49 AM

Good morning ,
Thanks , and yes the job is actually in Wanamingo, MN.

Thanks for the suggestions (Zumbrota or Pine Island)

Old 03-06-2023, 04:22 PM

298 posts, read 751,077 times
With your new job in Wanamingo, I would try to live close to where you work, especially with winter driving conditions being as brutal as they are, the driving north to the Twin Cities southern suburbs or south to Rochester for shopping on days off. Most concerts, live theater, or sporting events will be in downtown Minneapolis or downtown St. Paul.

There were some past threads, back in 2019, where someone accepting a position in Rochester was looking for small town within driving distance to "the Med City".

Many of these suggested communities I suggested for them would likely be helpful for you as well.

In addition to the earlier suggestions of Zumbrota and Pine Island, I would also add Cannon Falls, Northfield, Byron, Faribault,or Owatonna to that list of potential towns close to Wanamingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul