Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2022, 06:41 PM

86 posts, read 124,334 times

Advertisements

https://bringmethenews.com/.amp/minn...is-and-st-paul

I once posted a thread about why tid there no street linking Minneapolis and st Paul. Well I came across this article. I hope it actually happens. The link to the article is listed above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 09:18 PM

367 posts, read 545,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygrant View Post
https://bringmethenews.com/.amp/minn...is-and-st-paul

I once posted a thread about why tid there no street linking Minneapolis and st Paul. Well I came across this article. I hope it actually happens. The link to the article is listed above.
I hope it doesn’t happen. It seems like another war on cars and very impractical to remove a vital link connecting the twin cities. Indeed, not having it would be a disaster for commuters and travelers to move efficiently as the freeway is heavily used. If it is removed it will just create more congestion as the traffic will have to go somewhere.

I am aware of the history of the road and how it tore through the Rondo neighborhood and I am sorry it left such deep scars but it was decades ago and we need to move on. No matter what car haters want, the majority of people will still drive - NOT bike or walk or take public transit. If they can’t use 94 they’ll end up using neighborhood and side streets which will not be able to handle the volume and create even more congestion.

In my opinion the land lid proposals are a better idea as they would cover the freeway and reconnect neighborhoods but still allow traffic to freely move on the highway below.

Old 03-04-2022, 07:23 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,599,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody2Mn View Post
I hope it doesn’t happen. It seems like another war on cars and very impractical to remove a vital link connecting the twin cities. Indeed, not having it would be a disaster for commuters and travelers to move efficiently as the freeway is heavily used. If it is removed it will just create more congestion as the traffic will have to go somewhere.

I am aware of the history of the road and how it tore through the Rondo neighborhood and I am sorry it left such deep scars but it was decades ago and we need to move on. No matter what car haters want, the majority of people will still drive - NOT bike or walk or take public transit. If they can’t use 94 they’ll end up using neighborhood and side streets which will not be able to handle the volume and create even more congestion.

In my opinion the land lid proposals are a better idea as they would cover the freeway and reconnect neighborhoods but still allow traffic to freely move on the highway below.
They might reopen the old subway sometime, though.

Old 03-04-2022, 08:55 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,068,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody2Mn View Post

The interstate system is in need of repair, so this is a good time to look at options (which should be ongoing and likely is).

I just do not see a way of eliminating a high-speed option for cars along this route. So much of the traffic on I-94 in the metro is local traffic - people going to a destination in Minneapolis, in St. Paul and often from other destinations within the metro. Those drivers need that option to remain in some form. With the light rail line taking lanes from University, I-94 is more important now than 15 years ago for east-west movement (whether it be cars or buses).

The lid idea has some appeal, as long as there are well-planned exits. When I lived in southern California, a very short section of my commute went under a lid. On top of the lid was a neighborhood, that was integrated will with the rest of the city where it would be a multi-lane freeway dividing the city.

In the end, I suspect the least expensive upfront option will be chosen, including limping along with the the current design if the cost of anything else is too much, even if it would be cheaper in the long term and better overall - that is really what we have become as a society.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:32 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,247,482 times
Putting a "lid" over I-94 would likely disrupt traffic for two or three years. It can't be done without significant lane closures and overnight closures won't be enough. And there would be no significant gains from doing it, though those who are always aggrieved about something would be happy.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:52 AM

147 posts, read 143,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
They might reopen the old subway sometime, though.
What subway are you talking about?

Old 03-23-2022, 11:28 AM

148 posts, read 234,084 times
Had a friendly argument with someone about this lately…sure, it would be a great idea if it had no traffic impact on other routes, but that’s simply impossible. Ever been to a similarly sized metro with inferior traffic planning (hello, Atlanta)? As much as I’d love to see 94 gone in a perfect world the result of this would be disastrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul