Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2021, 08:44 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times

Advertisements

The link I'm adding here dates from 2016 and has some cool info about the Foshay Tower and then also specifically about it's "rooftop" observation deck as well as a few other good points for observing from on high in Minnesota.
My question though concerns the "FOSHAY" labeling that long was the trademark-like labeling located near the crown of the tower ever since it was constructed and then opened in 1929..

In recent years that generally coincide with the sale & massive remodeling & restoration work down as the tower was converted to a "W" Hotel, I have not seen a single (skyline) view on tv or new photo that still shows the "FOSHAY" lettering.
Was the lettering removed when the building was repurposed? I don't recall that it was missing the last time I drove through central Minneapolis.
If it's gone, I would consider that removal to be a tragic act almost akin to a vandalism.
So what's the scoop?

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/top-l...-in-minnesota/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2021, 10:48 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
The “Foshay” lettering is still there.

Old 12-22-2021, 10:52 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Aren't they lit up with lights? Thought there were lights up there on the letters.

Old 12-23-2021, 06:58 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Thumbs up A question re: The Fopshay Topwer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Thanks for that answer that has me pleased and relieved!

That leaves me wondering why some skyline views I've seen on tv have seemingly shown a big blank area where I knew that the "FOSHAY" lettering was placed. Obviously photo shop was the culprit methodology at work.

The FOSHAY has held a fond place in my memories ever since my first visit to Minneapolis as a grade school kid with my family for a convention. As we pulled into downtown via Nicolet Avenue from the south (it was a major north-south through street at the time in those pre-Nicolet Mall days) the tower rose easily above every other structure in downtown Minneapolis and it's slender, narrowing column had me awestruck! It's still la gorgeous tower yet today!

My brother and I rode the elevator up to the observation deck and I still have the admission ticket which reads, "Tallest building in the northwest", something that I have subsequently learned was not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul