Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2021, 09:13 PM

15,650 posts, read 15,785,905 times

Advertisements

Jelani Cobb wrote a long piece about Minneapolis, Floyd, and everything that's happened.

I know, it's not news. But interesting.

Letter From Minneapolis
Derek Chauvin’s Trial and George Floyd’s City
Although many Americans see the former police officer’s conviction as just closure, many in Minneapolis view it as the beginning of a larger battle.

Last year, Samuel Myers, Jr., a professor at the University of Minnesota’s Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs, published a post on the school’s Web site about what he called the Minnesota Paradox. The state, which typically ranks among the best places to live in the country, has a strong economy (3M, U.S. Bancorp, General Mills, and Cargill are all headquartered there), respected institutions of higher education, affordable homes, abundant natural resources, and a landscape (eleven thousand lakes) that feeds a thriving outdoor-recreation industry. The Twin Cities, in particular, seem to have been granted an exemption from the postindustrial malaise that has defined other Midwestern cities.
But, Myers wrote, “measured by racial gaps in unemployment rates, wage and salary incomes, incarceration rates, arrest rates, home ownership rates, mortgage lending rates, test scores, reported child maltreatment rates, school disciplinary and suspension rates, and even drowning rates, African-Americans are worse off in Minnesota than they are in virtually every other state in the nation.”
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ge-floyds-city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 05:50 AM

3,819 posts, read 5,378,461 times
Interesting. Why did he leave out fatherless home rates in his analysis?

Given the extremely generous welfare that Minnesota has had on offer for decades, a study that leaves out the causes within the African-American community that has failed them is likely a biased study. Prince certainly did well for himself. Same with the Jones brothers and Jason Suggs. My company's former secretary has a daughter that married a man from the A-A community, and he is a success story.

Here's a telling sentence: Floyd’s death was one of some eighty homicides in Minneapolis last year; the majority of the victims were Black and male. But the study's author didn't go on to say that the majority of the people killing those victims were also black and male. Why is that? Why leave out an extremely important statistic?

I don't trust research that leaves out inconvenient truths.

Last edited by Teak; 07-18-2021 at 06:02 AM..

Old 07-18-2021, 05:27 PM

25,895 posts, read 16,615,720 times
My theory is that most of them are relatively recent arrivals, especially the criminal element that is casting a shadow on black people in Minnesota. I’ve noticed the shocking difference when I travel south where they come from established families who have lived in their area for 100+ years.

I hope I’m not sounding racist because I don’t mean to be, I’m just trying to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul